1.8 TSI fuel economy

Hello all,

Just wondering what MPG or l/km you are getting from your 1.8TSI's? Mine has now done 18k miles and has averaged 26 MPG over those miles - recently it's been averaging 24 MPG - I do a healthy mixture of motorway and B-road driving and don't drive flat out everywhere.

This means I get about 260-300 miles out of a tank, which is a little disappointing.

Interestingly, I notice that EVO magazine are getting 26.4 MPG on average from their 1.8 Yeti.

Justin.

Hello all,

Just wondering what MPG or l/km you are getting from your 1.8TSI's? Mine has now done 18k miles and has averaged 26 MPG over those miles - recently it's been averaging 24 MPG - I do a healthy mixture of motorway and B-road driving and don't drive flat out everywhere.

This means I get about 260-300 miles out of a tank, which is a little disappointing.

Interestingly, I notice that EVO magazine are getting 26.4 MPG on average from their 1.8 Yeti.

Justin.

I'd say that's probably about right tbh, regardless of what people claim 1.8 engines from any firm generally do about 22-24 urban and around 32 max @ 70mph.

My passat is a 2.0 PDi DSG, my last tank gave 450 miles mainly urban and lots of stop start and cold engine, I think the tank is 70 litres and on average it gives about 32 mpg overall.

Trouble with forums is it's full of people who mess the maths up or simply have to go one better, this leads to people thinking their car is bad, official figures for a manual says it should be doing 30 urban, but I find that optimistic given the size of the car, you could check the tyre pressure, but I'd say if she seems to be running fine it's your location doing it, if you can do a twenty mile run, once the engine is warm, reset the dash comp, and see what it says after the 20 is up, then compare that to what Skoda say, best done when there's no traffic about, hth.

p.s, if you can do it at 70 mph, and it should say around 40-42mpg, but thats on a clear road.

Edited by Supurbia

My average with my 1.8TSI DSG during 40.000km is 31mpg -mostly long distances on highway and country roads. Once I also managed to get 38mpg on 400km trip.

Edited by 5icz

Interesting comment from Superbia re any manufacturer's 1.8 engines.

I have a Ford C Max 1.8 which returns around 32 albeit I once (on a light footed trip) got 38. That, though, was so boring and slow I could never do it regularly.

Interesting comment from Superbia re any manufacturer's 1.8 engines.

I have a Ford C Max 1.8 which returns around 32 albeit I once (on a light footed trip) got 38. That, though, was so boring and slow I could never do it regularly.

C Max vs Superb = Minesweeper vs Destroyer :thumbup:

Edited by Supurbia

I've just filled my V6 Estate up and the range on the display is shown as 240 miles!! It's been averaging 19.9 mpg although I have been doing a lot of urban stuff!! :yes:

I've been putting all my tank fillings into an Excel file. After 51211 km and 4180.04 litres, the average fuel comsumption has been 8.16 l/100 km; converting it to UK mpg, the result is 34.6075 mpg, which I think is a very good number.

The conditions are: approx 90% of the time highway, driver only, 120 km/h (about 75 mph). The other 10 % city driving, two adults, a baby plus all the associated "equipment" (baby seat, baby car, baby bag, etc).

Hope this helps :)

I've been putting all my tank fillings into an Excel file. After 51211 km and 4180.04 litres, the average fuel comsumption has been 8.16 l/100 km; converting it to UK mpg, the result is 34.6075 mpg, which I think is a very good number.

The conditions are: approx 90% of the time highway, driver only, 120 km/h (about 75 mph). The other 10 % city driving, two adults, a baby plus all the associated "equipment" (baby seat, baby car, baby bag, etc).

Hope this helps :)

But 8.16 l/100km is 28.79mpg.

But 8.16 l/100km is 28.79mpg.

I rest my case, see my original reply at the top for what I said about ppl and maths.

8.16L = 1.795 rounded up.

100 km = 62.1 miles

62.1 divided by 1.795 is...............

The 34 mpg he posted I'm afraid.

Edited by Supurbia

8.16 l/100 km; converting it to UK mpg, the result is 34.6075 mpg. This is imperial gallons.

8.16 l/100 km; converting it to US gallons, the result is 28.83 mpg This is US gallons.

8.16 l/100 km; converting it to UK mpg, the result is 34.6075 mpg. This is imperial gallons.

8.16 l/100 km; converting it to US gallons, the result is 28.83 mpg This is US gallons.

Indeed, and as the user is German I think we can let him off this time......

BUT DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN! :rofl:

24mpg is disappointing. Although I have no complaints with the performance on offer, when it is measured against consumption it's not good enough; my Volvo S80 4.4 V8 had almost twice the power of the Skoda in a heavier car but still returned 21mpg over it's life with me. IIRC Volvo claimed 23mpg on the combined cycle, which wasn't far away.

I wonder how gentle I'll need to be to achieve 37mpg?

• 10 months later...

24mpg is disappointing. Although I have no complaints with the performance on offer, when it is measured against consumption it's not good enough; my Volvo S80 4.4 V8 had almost twice the power of the Skoda in a heavier car but still returned 21mpg over it's life with me. IIRC Volvo claimed 23mpg on the combined cycle, which wasn't far away.

I wonder how gentle I'll need to be to achieve 37mpg?

I'm glad to hear other people are finding the same thing. I don't know how Skoda got away with the Yeti brochure - they've already refunded me £250 for fibbing about hill hold being included in the off road button, and now I find the fuel economy figures are pure fantasy.

Thing is, I bought the car on the strength of the MPG figures as I knew it would be our prime family car. 28mpg urban, 40mpg extra urban they said.

Well, if I nurse it like a baby and free wheel everywhere, I might just get 26mpg around 40mph B roads and urban roads but usually I'll be lucky to hit 24.

I did a motorway journey last week and found:

65mph = 36mpg

70mph = 34mpg

75mph = 32mpg

80mph = 29mpg

85mph = 27.5mpg

My ten year old 2l BMW 3 series gives me 38mpg at 85mph.

Disappointing.

Just an addition from me

Did 200 Miles to Cardiff last night, cruise control on, AC on, speed set to 80 and I averaged 38.8mpg

Not to shabby at all, who needs sludge :)

Admittedly its in a Yeti body and not a sleeker Superb but I dont seem to have any mpg issues from my 1.8TSi. Ive seen 46+mpg on a decently long holiday touring run. 32mpg most days for my stop start traffic light laden journey to work. Keep in mind that the car is also 4wd, has the aerodynamics of a brick and imo, could do with a taller sixth gear. Mine does run a Shark Performance remap though too.

Admittedly its in a Yeti body and not a sleeker Superb but I dont seem to have any mpg issues from my 1.8TSi. Ive seen 46+mpg on a decently long holiday touring run. 32mpg most days for my stop start traffic light laden journey to work. Keep in mind that the car is also 4wd, has the aerodynamics of a brick and imo, could do with a taller sixth gear. Mine does run a Shark Performance remap though too.

Mines being Sharked on Wednesday, but I am really impressed with the 1.8TSi so far, punchy, refined and economical.

Mines being Sharked on Wednesday, but I am really impressed with the 1.8TSi so far, punchy, refined and economical.

Yes, that sums up my feelings 100%. Very refined, even when pushed. The best Ive had in any car in terms of available performance v's running costs. You are going to love the Shark map btw. :thumbup:B)

Hi

My 2011 1.8tsi DSG combi has recorded 36mpg over the first 700mls of its life. This is a mixture of rural and town driving and I have a light foot. My previous car, a BMW 525i auto tourer was still averaging 28.8mpg at 140,000 and did 35mpg on a long run. Modern Beemers seem to have clever electronics as my friend is getting 36mpg from a new 3.0litre 6 cylinder 3 series.

Of course these recorded figures may not be matched if consumption was checked properly and others have said the Skoda MFI records between 5 and 10% optimistic. Sometimes I think bigger engines can be nearly as economic as smaller units as they are generally less stressed!

3,500 miles now and only averaging 30 mpg. (pump fill method)

Mostly motorway, but the roadworks on the M25 are really eating into it as I sit and watch the cement dry each morning.

Find that if the car is kept at around 60 mph this improves drastically, but that is not the way I drive. Just wish the headlights would not come on so often!

I'm doing a lot of city driving with a longer ride every weekend and a recent holiday trip on Germen Autobahns. I have a combined number of 29,6 mpg (metric: 12,6 kpl). Way better than my previous BMW 520i and with faster acc. I'm absolutely not a light footed driver.

Remember that brand new cars tend to use more fuel (I don't know why). You might see a slight drop in consumption efter 10-15 kkm of driving.