Fabia vRS Alternatives

Wrote off my Fabia vRS last month, insurances companies just paid out 5k which is pretty much what I bought it for so now I need to find another car. Minus the £400 excess ive got around £4500 to spend on something else.

I've still got 6 months of insurance left on my policy before renawal time (at which time my premium will probably rocket) so the insurance company said they will insure me on another car in the same insurance group or lower (with similar power and age) which I believe is 9.

I really dont want anything much slower than the vRS so was just wondering if anyones got any suggestions as to what I can get with 4.5k?

So far I've come up with:

Mini Cooper 115bhp (Group 8)

Fabia vRS 130bhp (Group 9)

Golf GTI TDI 115bhp (Group 10)

Golf GT TDI (Group 10)

Anything else?

I'd have to say that when I was buying my 2004 vRS new, about the age of car you can now afford, there was precious little around with insurance that cheap/low. I was attracted because of 6 points and a blame accident...

I think you have to consider whether max BHP is important to you or handling...

Why do people have to be such idiots? He's asking about a car, not to judge his driving. Get a grip!

I'd go for a similar Seat Ibiza 130TDI for a change. Look quite nice from the outside too.

Edited by Phil_Peck

have to agree the poster did not say how it happened for all we know he might have been hit by someone else.

Best way to go about it is why did you pick the fabia in the first place? Was it because you wanted a cool/hot hatch or you wanted a quickish car that could eat up loads of miles?

If its hot hatch and not the mileage factor I would suggest you look at petrol rather than diesel as there is plenty to choose from.

As much as I love my fabia to bits if I had it written off I would not get another one. Its without doubt the best car I have owned (as an alround package) but I would not replace it with another. It would be like your girlfriend dying and then dating her twin sister, sure it looks the same, feels the same, could even be better but its not the same!

As much as I love my fabia to bits if I had it written off I would not get another one. Its without doubt the best car I have owned (as an alround package) but I would not replace it with another. It would be like your girlfriend dying and then dating her twin sister, sure it looks the same, feels the same, could even be better but its not the same!

WELL.... The analogy is quite an open ended discussion..! :rofl:

I was going too fast coming off a slip road, beat the lights, but also beat the roundabout, spun it and smashed straight into the barrier, completely my fault, no other cars involved. Feel free to have a go, judge my driving, lecture me about how I should be driving etc but tbh hearing it from the police the first time was enough to scare the **** out of me and put me in my place. As someone mentioned above I'm asking for advice on a new car not to be lectured about my poor driving skills.

On the plus the insurance company (MoreThan) were brilliant, courtsey car (brand new 60 plate black polo) within a few hours of the accident and paid out within about 2 weeks. On top of that thier happy to insure me on another similar car for nothing till my renewal date in May! My premium will probably absolutely rocket but I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Just put down a deposit on a Silver Fabia vRS, 64k on the clock, FSH, Cambelt/WaterPump/Service/MOT all done last month for 4k. Theres just no other car that has the same spec, power, economy, insurance group as the vRS, the ibiza came close but I just think it looks butt ugly.

Thanks for the advice anyways, much appreciated.

...the ibiza came close but I just think it looks butt ugly.

Not wrong there. They are visually unpleasant :D

And you'd get a more comfortable ride in a shopping trolley on cobbles.

I'm sure that we've all been there (maybe not quite your specific scenario) - and learnt from mistakes made.

Glad to see that you've put the cash down on a replacement Fabia vRS - imo given your options listed for the replacement, you have made the right choice :thumbup:

Szkoda13, I'd look online to see if your renewal was due, how much you'd be looking at.

My guess is anything suggested so far will almost double your premium based on your accidents circumstances.

It's why most won't insure VRS' for anyone younger than 21 or some 25. Even with crazy excesses.

Yeh thats my major concern, although I looked on admiral, with a multi-car policy, accident declared, mum as a named driver they want £1500 fully comp (which ive got saved up) so its not the end of the world :)

I think they're right. My Mk4 ibiza looked nowhere near as good as my fabia.

If it makes you feel any better, I was paying £1200 for my fabia insurance through admiral, and I've never had a crash or earned a point!

Its more than doubled for my civic....

Edited by Morg

Sorry to hear about your accident mate, its all part of life lessons unfortunately :( You're ok and that is what insurance is for at the end of the day.

Like you said, I don't think you can buy better for the money currently. All the Golfs which I was looking at had well over 100k on the clock for the same money.