Favourite game of all time?

jamesrbeaumont

Worms and Lemmings were awesome, but for longevity it has to be Harpoon.

I doubt any of you will have heard of it, but I have been playing it since I discovered it for the Amiga 500!! 20 odd years ago!!! Even the original mission pack can take you months to complete, and the number of add on missions, official and fan created, is so huge I doubt if I will ever get to play all of them, let alone win them!!

I once spent 30+ hours playing the US SAG v USSR SAG scenario in the original GIUK mission pack.

Vampire, Vampire, Vampire!!!!!

:giggle:

DOOM (the original)

speaks for it's self

+1

Also Civilization on the PC.

And of course Asteroids on the pub machine :thumbup:

Speccy

Myth - (the pinnacle of monochrome gaming)

Robocop

Rambo

IK+

Barbarian - Spinning head chop and Linda Lusardi's boobs on the cover :p

Amiga 500

Speedball two - gave me blisters on my blisters that one

Stuntcar racer - just about impossible but so cool, I don't know why no one has remade that.

Populous - the original god game

Sim city

Birds of Prey - quite a niche flight sim with a whole war campaign but some cool planes like the B52 and X15

PS1

Gran Turismo 1

Tomb Raider 1

XBox - Forsa

What's the shockwave mod?

Adds a lot more units to the game in general (pun intended), and if you have the Zero Hour expansion as well it adds more diversity to each general.

Well worth a download (it is free) plus its still an active mod. I play it on LAN against my son all the time and he loves it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave

Prefer it to the C&C Allstars mod (adds units from C&C1 and RA to Generals to 'see who would win') which is another favoured generals mod, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

There's lots of other generals mods on that site, plus maps, tools, etc. Its a good site for modding other games too.

Edited by Rhoobarb

I like so many that I can't really choose just one game!! :giggle:

If I could pick the best series of games for single player, I would probably pick call of duty, because I have played them all over and over again from the original to the modern warfare series, they are all amazing.

I also like gta san andreas for the sheer map sizes and freedom of play, gta vice city and gta III were also good but quite limiting in comparison.

I find unreal tournament to be the best series of multiplayer games, totally unrealistic but who cares especially with the announcements, holy ****, heat shot, double kill, multi kill, ultra kill, mmmmmmonster kill...

The classics were good in their day quake, doom, lemmings, duke nukem, half life, counter strike, worms etc. When they were released they were incredible, but sadly looking back at the graphics and sound effects now makes me cringe, they seem almost unplayable compared to modern titles. I didn't remember them being that blocky at the time.

Edited by SkodaFabiaOwner

Ufff, cant pick 1.

Tried , but failed.:)

First ( for me ) - Submarine Command, Donkey Kong ( cant remember the platform - hand held Nintendo that had retractable controllers on a wire x 2?? )

Old school - California Games , Paper Boy, Carrier Command

Newer School - Carmageddon ( original with people before it got changed to running zombies over ). Mech Warrior , Quake, Half Life

Now'ish - All of the Call of Duty's. GT3, GTA2

All of these have taken more of my time than is natural :rofl:

Well start at beginning

BBC - Elite - a revolutionary space game that also made you think about trade and the consequences of your trading (in contraband :giggle: )

Amiga 500 - Captive and Eye of the Beholder 2 - First person type adventure games that really had a sense of atmosphere.

Turrican 1,2 @ 3, Apidya and Speedball2 - All very addictive and an requiring fast reactions. Excellent music scores on all of them (ok not so much Speedball2)

Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye - Friday Night, 4 mates with a fridge full of beer and everyone fighting to be Siberian Special Forces. Nuff said.

PS1 - Gran Turismo 1@ 2 - First decent home computer racing simulator. Sold many a Nissan Skyline ...

Final Fantasy 7 - Still tempted to this day to go back and try and kill both the Weapons. At the time I didn't know how....

Wipeout 2097 - Nothing like it, even now. Very fast, smooth and addictive, great music

PS2 Star Wars Battlefront 2. Ran an online clan for this , very good tactical first person shootemup.

PC Only games I have played on PC are the GTA series.

Favourite of all - Final Fantasy 7 - Needs remaking with current gaming technology.

Edited by modra_vrs

oh man, how can you pick just 1! Sonic 2 was my first game years ago and still love that, then there was Streets of Rage 2, wasted months and months on that game, but my favourite game of all time is Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast, still play it now and its just an epic game that you cant help put down when you start

For me it has to be Jaguar XJ220 for the Amiga.

Every Easter and November holidays I used to go to a friends house in Coventry and play it virtually solidly the whole time. :D