1.2 TSi versus 1.4 TSi

Bassa

I've driven 1.2TSi DSG and then straight into a 1.4TSi and I think I prefer the 1.4TSi engine but I am also pretty lazy and I'd rather drive an automatic especially a DSG box. Ideally what I'd like is the 1.4TSi engine out of the Fabia vRS (the supercharged+turbocharged one) with DSG but I bet that won't be available for a very long time if it ever does become available.

I've driven 1.2TSi DSG and then straight into a 1.4TSi and I think I prefer the 1.4TSi engine but I am also pretty lazy and I'd rather drive an automatic especially a DSG box. Ideally what I'd like is the 1.4TSi engine out of the Fabia vRS (the supercharged+turbocharged one) with DSG but I bet that won't be available for a very long time if it ever does become available.

Engine wise, what made you " think you preferred" the 1.4 TSi over the 1.2 ?

I'm with James. In fact it's stopping me ordering. Once I realised that a diesel with DPF is not a good idea if you do a lot of short trips a petrol becomes the only option.

Although I would really like a 4x4 with DSG I'd settle for the vRS engine and box.

That was pretty much my ideal choice, twincharged TSi and DSG, but that wasn't an option.

I test drove the 1.2 DSG and loved it, was musing over the specs and stuff before ordering and bingo! the 1.4 became available. The extra bit of oomph appealed to me, whilst hopefully still having reasonable economy, so I did a deal with James and ordered the 1.4 :thumbup: . James kindly let me have a drive in a 1.4 a couple of weeks ago and it confirmed that the choice was a good one. It was pretty relaxed and very quiet, with just a bit more shove than the 1.2.

Yep, I would have liked DSG, heck even 4WD, but couldn't stretch my budget that far and I wasa bit put off by tales of DPF issues on a few oil burners as well. I've had diesels for years, so a bit of a change is nice.

James and I also discussed how nice the Yeti would have been with the 2.0 TSi, like the Golf GTi has. If only....

The Tiguan is available with the 2.0TSi engine so there is no reason why it won't go into a Yeti.

I think a remapped 2.0TSi 4x4 Yeti would be pretty awesome!

There must be a reason for it........

I dont think it will happen because the 1.8tsi can also be had with DSG in the octavia and superb yet you cant have it with the yeti :(

I have been looking at scrap dealers for the 1.4 twincharge engine, that mounts directly into the DSG equipped 1.2tsi's :giggle:

I'm with James. In fact it's stopping me ordering. Once I realised that a diesel with DPF is not a good idea if you do a lot of short trips a petrol becomes the only option.

Although I would really like a 4x4 with DSG I'd settle for the vRS engine and box.

My feelings exactly - I currently drive a 2.0TDI Octavia but would order a Yeti Elegance with the regular 1.4TSi engine and DSG if it was available.

Skoda UK says the Yeti won't be sold with the 1.4 engine and DSG - so sadly my next car won't be a Skoda!

My feelings exactly - I currently drive a 2.0TDI Octavia but would order a Yeti Elegance with the regular 1.4TSi engine and DSG if it was available.

Skoda UK says the Yeti won't be sold with the 1.4 engine and DSG - so sadly my next car won't be a Skoda!

So you are going to let a measly 17bhp come between you and Skoda ? :giggle:

The Tiguan is available with the 2.0TSi engine so there is no reason why it won't go into a Yeti.

I think a remapped 2.0TSi 4x4 Yeti would be pretty awesome!

I'd never describe the Yeti as 'pretty' - distinctive yes :smirk:

Strange how soon things go off topic.

So you are going to let a measly 17bhp come between you and Skoda ? :giggle:

To be fair it is not just 17 bhp (although that is a major point) but no digital radio option, no option to have anything but 17" wheels on the Elegance model (and yes the ride is much better on smaller wheels with deeper side wall tyres). For the life of me I can't see why they can't offer the DSG box on the 1.4TSi - it is available in the Octavia, Golf, Audi, etc so why not on the Yeti?

why not on the Yeti?

Just my 2ds worth, I think this is called marketing and very good marketing by Skoda, if you want Petrol DSG you are FORCED to take the1.2TSi engine, so why would SKODA want to do this?

Perhaps it's about making more money from the early adopters (that's everyone that has a Yeti so far) at some stage the marketing chaps will believe they've milked this part of the sales chart and introduce the 1.4 DSG which will in effect kill the sales of the 1.2DSG but in doing so create extra margin from the higher price of the 1.4DSG (few would buy a 1.2 DSG over a 1.4DSG would they? So Skoda are selling something that very few people actually want which is very very good marketing).

So whilst the early adopters will buy and take the compromise the people waiting for the 1.4DSG have to be told that this model will NEVER be released. This will convert some of the people waiting to go with the 1.2DSG and others will come back to the Yeti when the 1.4DSG becomes available. So how long does the early adopter bubble last in the new car trade? I think 2012 will be a reasonable expectation for when the 1.4DSG will be released. This will then appeal to all the 1.2DSG early adopters who having experienced the Yeti and will come back for more saying, "yiphee just what I needed a 1.4DSG that has a bit more go...." Of course at this same time the Skoda dealers will be saying the 1.2DSG is not worth much as most people want a diesel and the 1.2 engine is a bit underpowered for such a big car so trade prices will be very poor, hence you are screw@@ on the purchase price AND the trade-in and Skoda remain happy "as they make happy dealers". So the best time to buy the 1.2 DSG will be just as the 1.4DSG is launched.

I think I'm talking myself into waiting another 2 years :(

Just my 2ds worth, I think this is called marketing and very good marketing by Skoda, if you want Petrol DSG you are FORCED to take the1.2TSi engine, so why would SKODA want to do this?

Perhaps it's about making more money from the early adopters (that's everyone that has a Yeti so far) at some stage the marketing chaps will believe they've milked this part of the sales chart and introduce the 1.4 DSG which will in effect kill the sales of the 1.2DSG but in doing so create extra margin from the higher price of the 1.4DSG (few would buy a 1.2 DSG over a 1.4DSG would they? So Skoda are selling something that very few people actually want which is very very good marketing).

So whilst the early adopters will buy and take the compromise the people waiting for the 1.4DSG have to be told that this model will NEVER be released. This will convert some of the people waiting to go with the 1.2DSG and others will come back to the Yeti when the 1.4DSG becomes available. So how long does the early adopter bubble last in the new car trade? I think 2012 will be a reasonable expectation for when the 1.4DSG will be released. This will then appeal to all the 1.2DSG early adopters who having experienced the Yeti and will come back for more saying, "yiphee just what I needed a 1.4DSG that has a bit more go...." Of course at this same time the Skoda dealers will be saying the 1.2DSG is not worth much as most people want a diesel and the 1.2 engine is a bit underpowered for such a big car so trade prices will be very poor, hence you are screw@@ on the purchase price AND the trade-in and Skoda remain happy "as they make happy dealers". So the best time to buy the 1.2 DSG will be just as the 1.4DSG is launched.

+1 I think that just about sums it up

+2. Well said. Same goes for new colours, new options and one day THE FACELIFT!

I think you are close............

Most likely to do with CO2 output across their range.

The lower it is the better.

I do think that most would choose a 1.4TSi in either manual or DSG form over a 1.2 TSi - but is there really that much difference between the two in normal usage? Probably not much.

No, there won't be much of a difference, but as with any car there is a sweet spot for the correct engine to body weight ratio - giving optimal normal performance over a range of uses. The 1,2 is well below that sweet spot - hence the high fuel consumption when pushed/loaded. The 1,4 will be just a tad closer to the sweet spot which in my view is the TDI 110.

I think you are close............

Most likely to do with CO2 output across their range.

The lower it is the better.

I agree I think he has nailed it. So best option is probably to wait to 2012 - or whenever the shine rubs off the Yeti and talk transfers to a Crossover from another supplier - and then buy the 1.4 DSG which will probably come with a few more goodies at a competitive price.

The 1.2 is ideal for around town and A roads - if I was doing serious towing or hauling I would go for the bigger engine. For people like myself who do less than 5,000 miles a year and want economy with some useful space it is an ideal combination. I get around 40 mpg on the motorway with 4 adults, a child and a full trunk anyways - that's about 25% better than our 2 ltr RAV4 petrol. I might have bought the 1.4 as it is still hard to believe that the 1.2 is up to the job - but I'm always pleasantly surprised by how well it goes.

To the uninitiated the the 1.2 & 1.4 TSi's appear to be small capacities for hauling a car the size of a Yeti. The 1.2 TSi to my mind is equivalent to a normally aspirated 1.6 and the 1.4TSi to a 1.8 but both with added torque for much greater flexibility. A lot of it is in the mind, most would not think twice regarding a normally aspirated 1.6 or a 1.8 but in fact they are outperformed by the smaller capacity turbocharged TSi's, especially where torque is concerned. Lower emissions and better mpg being the icing on the cake.

To the uninitiated the the 1.2 & 1.4 TSi's appear to be small capacities for hauling a car the size of a Yeti. The 1.2 TSi to my mind is equivalent to a normally aspirated 1.6 and the 1.4TSi to a 1.8 but both with added torque for much greater flexibility. A lot of it is in the mind, most would not think twice regarding a normally aspirated 1.6 or a 1.8 but in fact they are outperformed by the smaller capacity turbocharged TSi's, especially where torque is concerned. Lower emissions and better mpg being the icing on the cake.

Very true but we are way in advance of our transatlantic cousins who still think you need a thumping great 4 litre V8 under the hood.

I remember when the Superb was launched. Big poster in the dealers listing engine and trim options. At the top of the list was a 125BHP petrol engine with no capacity quoted. All the rest included power output and capacity. Skoda obviously wanted to nip "a 1.4 engine in a car that size!!!" comments in the bud!

My old car was a 3.5 nissan teana, that engine is from the 350z and makes 280bhp.

Driving my 1.2tsi does not feel like much of a downgrade, its incredibly nippy and very much in 'warm hatch' territory.

Its also smoother and more torquey than a regular 2.0 japanese sedan and faster than a 2.4/2.5 japanese suv.