Is it worth it?

Liam-6

Hey guys!..

Just after some last minute advice before i go all out and buy a vRS.

I went to look at the car on saturday and left the chap a deposit untill i can sort the funding out which will be sometime this week.

The car iteslf is an octavia vRS in black, done 50k but only has LIMITED service history upto 27,000. No mention of cambelt etc... The extrior holds a few scratches around the doors and chips on the passenger wing. Also has light wear on the drivers seat bolster.

It drives lovely and i did a previous MOT check and all came back with the correct milege.

Now its advertised locally for £4,250 however i managed to get him down to £4,000.

Is it worth it?

Cheers

What year is the car? you will need to get the cambelt kit & water pump changed asap if its not been done. There are plenty of these around so i personally would only buy one with FULL service history inc cambelt change & regular oil changes as these engines do suffer from lack of oil changes. Can you prove the mileage is genuine? My old mk 1 vrs had 125k on it when i traded it in & there wasnt any wear on the drivers seat. Depending on the year it sounds like top money for a not top condition car,is it a private sale or a dealer sale?

I'd be very cautious about buying any car with a partial service history. Low mileage isn't a big deal with these cars, but a verified service history is. I wouldn't expect to see much bolster wear on a 5 year old 50k VRS, & could be a sign that the car actually could of done a lot more miles than the odometer is showing. So called "mileage correction" is rampant these days. MOT history shouldn't be presumed to be guarantee of mileage.

There are loads of VRS's for sale at ridiculously low prices so be fussy.

Edited by pauldazzle

this one has had the belts done and is slightly cheaper though is in estate form

your obviously trying to talk your way into buying it and hope that others agree.take the advise given and walk away.it has no service history for 23000 miles, you dont know if the belt has been changed as there is no paperwork, bodywork is scratched and chipped and there are loads of them around for sale at much cheaper prices.at £4000 you would nearly pick up a high mileage mk2.

Edited by chris9568

It wants at least £500 knocking off for the cambelt. Its a gamble if you do not believe its been serviced, If it has all the previous MOT's and receipts for work done then It could be worth it. I personally would not buy it as I like to know the history stamped or otherwise.

+1

but you sound as though you are fairly committed having left a deposit already. :S

An 05 plate with 50k genuine miles and serviced correctly would be a good buy IMHO at £4k, but i don't see how this car can tick those boxes.

:smirk: i hate to say it lol but i wouldnt worry to much on the seat bolster thing, i dunno if its size of the owners etc or how you sit or what not, but its the only part of mine that look used :giggle: when im guessing wear, im going by mine, its abit rubbed kind of thing. and thats a 55plate with a daft 13500k on it :wonder: i rub leather care into them too ??

but also as been said, you got to be happy mate, ive alway been told

"if you got any doubts.......... walk away"

ps: im half cut and will come back and sort what ive wrote another time... and correct my gabble :p

I thought first cam belt was over 60,000 miles on these cars if not more.

At the end of the day you need to feel that you are getting a good deal and that you are happy to pay the price you wish for the car and that you have checked as best as you can about the condition, history , mileage etc. We seem to be a sceptical bunch here and the car might be genuine. Go for another test drive. Go view a few more just to compare even if you do end up buying it. There are a lot of them out there. Offer him a few hundred less and see where that takes it.

Good luck with a purchase

I don't think the bolster thing is that important, but allied to what appears to be the poor condition of the paintwork & the lack of service history it sets off alarm bells to me. Most car owners know how important service history is, & the lack of it in my experience is usually a sign that all is not well.

Heck it's your money at the end of the day so your decision to buy or not, but to me you're potentially spending top money for a car that isn't worth top money.

Edited by pauldazzle

Just a quick glance and these spring out to me as possible good buys, this is the sort of thing you should be looking for.... Oh I am colour bias lol! :giggle:

Just hold out for the best one you can buy.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2251580.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2067740.htm

Its 4 years or 60k whichever comes first. :thumbup:

Depends who you talk to. When I had my VW Golf mk iv Anniversary (AUQ engine) 2 VW dealers told me 6 years or 80k. Sinclair VW advised me 5 years or 60k which I think is probably right.