No heat from heaters

anderoo

Hello all,

I've recently got myself a 54 plate VRs for the daily commute to work. I've been rather impressed by it bar one problem I missed during the test drive, the heaters don't get warm, even after an hour of driving.

I've done a search on here and found the info on the flap motors but I'm not sure that applies in my case as after checking the heater matrix pipes only one is hot, the other pipe is cold.

Is there a valve or something in the matrix that can fail? Any idea what's gone wrong? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

I thought the flap motors only controlled the direction of the air? Could a fault with them cause one side of the heater matrix pipes to stay cold? I don't think it's the thermostat because once the car has warmed up its rock solid at 90 degrees.

There are 2 flap motors 1 near the wing behind the glove box which controls the air inlet either fresh or recirculate and 1 on the left hand side of the centre console which controls the temperature. have a look here - http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177573-fabia-mk1-heater-stuck-on/

Just been out and encountered a similar problem.

Temp guage was unusually up to normal within 2 miles, but the heater was blowing icebergs, whereas it normally starts feeding warm air out in warming degrees as the miles roll by.

Stopped immediately and checked the coolant level, but it was normal and hot.

Turned around anyway and drove straight back for closer inspections fearing the worst.

Left it for 10 minutes to see if any wet tell tale signs underneath, but nothing.

Started up again and hey presto, heater blasting hoy air again.

What's that all about then ey?

Just been out and encountered a similar problem.

Temp guage was unusually up to normal within 2 miles, but the heater was blowing icebergs, whereas it normally starts feeding warm air out in warming degrees as the miles roll by.

Stopped immediately and checked the coolant level, but it was normal and hot.

Turned around anyway and drove straight back for closer inspections fearing the worst.

Left it for 10 minutes to see if any wet tell tale signs underneath, but nothing.

Started up again and hey presto, heater blasting hoy air again.

What's that all about then ey?

When that happened to me it was a bust water pump so be careful. If the car is having circulation problems in the cold weather, I'd be minded to test the strength of the coolant, make sure it hasn't frozen up anywhere.

When that happened to me it was a bust water pump so be careful. If the car is having circulation problems in the cold weather, I'd be minded to test the strength of the coolant, make sure it hasn't frozen up anywhere.

Wise words.

A call to my friendly techie beckons for a checking over.

He can change the ruddy sidelight bulb that's expired for me too while he's at it as i haven't actually got pixies hands.

With the engine cold, take the lid off the expansion tank and start the engine. Set the heater to 'hot', and run the engine at a fast idle (1500+ rpm). Wait for the radiator fans to cycle on and off (could be quite some time in this weather!) and then check the level in the expansion tank. Top up as necessary and replace the lid.

HTH

• 2 years later...

My '04 Fabia vRS has developed a problem with very very poor heating.

It takes about 30-minutes / 30-miles at 70-mph for it to warm up. Even then it's not what you would call 'hot'; more 'warm'.

During this time, though, the on-dash thermostat demonstrates that it's fine, moving at a normal pace to "90" and staying there.

The foot, dash and windscreen blower is set solidly to top-speed (all the way to the right), but the air comes out at a light blow.

If you stand outside the vehicle, you can definitely hear the fan sucking, doing its job.

Recirculation button functions, as does the recirculation when engaging reverse gear.

Its a total pain, please help :(

Edited by waynef

First place to check might be the pollen filter - really just to see if its blocked and throttling the air from the fan.

Thank you rum4mo :)

To be fair to my Skoda dealership, they serviced it a week-or-so ago and that was replaced.

This problem has been on-going for ages, though, I think. Pretty dire now, though. Brrrrr... :sweat:

Thank you rum4mo :)

To be fair to my Skoda dealership, they serviced it a week-or-so ago and that was replaced.

This problem has been on-going for ages, though, I think. Pretty dire now, though. Brrrrr... :sweat:

I've just removed the pollen filter and almost got pinned to the back-seat! :giggle:

I am going to give it a good run tonight in the cold to see if the air (hot air preferably) comes through now.

If it does, then I'll have to fabricate a much cruder and open-weave filter of-sorts out of an old filter frame.

I wish I/the dealer had /my old filter! Oh well.

Time will tell...

I had simular problem, i took matrix hoses off and sent a jetwash down the inlet matrix hose and nothing came out the outlet, so kept blasting it back and forth, jetwash the outlet and then the inlet and eventually loads of thick rusty water it looked like came through which was causing the blockage, but now my heaters work fine..

• 5 years later...

I had the same problem turned out it was blocked due to my having used radweld in the coolant for a radiator leak, I bought a second hand matrix as the first garage couldn't clear it but the second garage did no bother. Anyone looking for a new/second hand matrix let me know £40 which is what it cost me off ebay.

On 08/04/2018 at 22:03, yorkie87629 said:

My skoda fabia as a heating problem no heat at all 2001 estate 1.4cc. can anyone help please.

It can be an early sign of head gasket failure, combustion gas bubbles rise into the heater matrix and airlock it.