temp gauge

2002 VRS 1.8t

my temp gauge is up and down all over the place.

i dont think its the thermostat.

sensor maybe

any idea or point in the correct directon

Classic symptom of a dying coolant temp sensor. Get a genuine VAG revised green CTS, & not a cheap eBay version.

We have the Genuine ones coming into stock tomorrow at £15-00:

PLEASE CLICK HERE

We also sell the OEM Febi Bilstein ones:

PLEASE CLICK HERE

guys do you do the thermostats aswell (1.8t vrs) if so throw a link up please :thumbup:

ive got a 17704 code which is either or so will change both while im at it :giggle:

cheers

si

Is this the part I need to stop the warning light coming on on the dash when it's cold?

Or is that the other thread I keep reading?

Ta

Michelle

No you ether need to clean the prongs in the header tank with a toothbrush or if that doesn't work buy a new header tank.

• 3 weeks later...

done on the ground.

if your looking at the engine its on the right hand side, remove the little plastic engine cover that fits round the dipstick, follow the top rad hose round towards the engine and you,ll come across it. simply pull out the horse shoe clip remove old sensor fit new o ring and re fit new sensor, takes minutes :thumbup:

i left the rad cap on (less coolant loss) and plugged the wiring into the new sensor before fitting (for quickness)

thermostat on the other hand is a pain in the a***!!

Edited by sivrs

done on the ground.

if your looking at the engine its on the right hand side, remove the little plastic engine cover that fits round the dipstick, follow the top rad hose round towards the engine and you,ll come across it. simply pull out the horse shoe clip remove old sensor fit new o ring and re fit new sensor, takes minutes :thumbup:

i left the rad cap on (less coolant loss) and plugged the wiring into the new sensor before fitting (for quickness)

Brilliant, thanks very much indeed.

If your thermostat is opening the whole time while the car is running the only problem you will have is that it will be using more fuel than normal because the ecu keeps the car in "cold mode" so to speak, if the thermostat is staying shut (this happend to my previous car) you get alot of steam and your temp gauge will start to climb, i hope this helps, i think you should be fine just now to drive it keep an eye on temps coolant levels etc, hopefully someone more technical can confirm this

• 2 weeks later...

2002 VRS 1.8t

my temp gauge is up and down all over the place.

i dont think its the thermostat.

sensor maybe

any idea or point in the correct directon

i know you probably dont believe this but if you have an haynes manual look up your prob and it will say the oil level sensor could be shot. same happened to me and i changed that and all is grand. if anyone needs to know how to do this get in touch>

done on the ground.

i have a 2002 octavia estate 1.9sdi i need to change the sensor on. will the above instructions apply? should i check the sensor before getting a new one?

i have a 2002 octavia estate 1.9sdi i need to change the sensor on. will the above instructions apply? should i check the sensor before getting a new one?

What are your symptoms.

Id recommend to anyone to AVOID the topran/hans pires/germany ones from GSF, mines gone after fitting 6 months ago. Not happy.

Edited by Liverpool-Lad

What are your symptoms.

Id recommend to anyone to AVOID the topran/hans pires/germany ones from GSF, mines gone after fitting 6 months ago. Not happy.

code has come up on computer had it ran at the local skoda garage. there is a burning/exsaust sort of smell in the car the engine management light is intermitently on and off. the garage reckon the smell is from the engine is being overfuelled? bought the part from skoda