Headlamp washers

Is it possible to stop the headlamp washers activating every time I wash the windscreen with the headlights on. With my MkI you had to hold the washer stalk in for a couple of seconds to activate the headlamp washers but I don't seem to have any control over the ones on my Scout. They use a lot of washer fluid ,unnecessarily most of the time.

As said, headlight washers only operate every fifth time when headlights are actually on. A dodge is to switch fogs on and switch headlights off before washing. Only when foggy of course.emoticon-0103-cool.gif

On an Octy with Xenons, I found that if you pulled the stalk twice in quick succession it only sprayed the screen. The first spray including the lights was "aborted". :thumbup:

That's useful to know..thanks

As per #4 ...quick flick/release of the stalk to trigger & immediately stop the lights/windscreen wash, then just pull the stalk again for a windscreen only wash. :thumbup:

this worked great on my pre FL but doesnt on the FL :( No matter how quick you do the first wash it always operates the headlight washers. a real pain in the bum :( :(

this worked great on my pre FL but doesnt on the FL :( No matter how quick you do the first wash it always operates the headlight washers. a real pain in the bum :( :(

I agree, even the Mrs has noticed that it washes the lights too much. Is it always every 5th wash, or is there also a time since the last wash involved? Is the counter always set to 0 when you start the car?

I agree, even the Mrs has noticed that it washes the lights too much. Is it always every 5th wash, or is there also a time since the last wash involved? Is the counter always set to 0 when you start the car?

This is what the manual says........

The headlights are being cleaned after the windscreen has been sprayed for the first

time and fifth time, the low beam or main beam are switched on and the windscreen

wiper lever was held in the position for about 1 second

...but in practice I find that it works every 5th time after you have switched the lights on. It never does it the "first time" after the lights are on.

I think Skoda does this to keep us guessing and therefore on our toes.

I'd rather top up my screen wash more frequently than have to stand out in the dark each night when I get home with a bottle of windowlene and kitchen roll.

You may think every fifth time is too frequent, and may be occasionally it is.

On my day to day car (Peugeot 306) I have a 150 mile round trip commute. In the recent bad weather the performance of my headlights always deteriorates to a point I can hardly see.

On the rare occasion I'm treated to the Scout the xenon's and headlight wash is a god send.

On my 24 mile commute I probably do not not reach that 5th wash. I think the frequency is fair enough but topping up frequently is a bit of a chore during the foul winter weather.

Just found my CarPlan pre mix is only good for -5C. Oh bother.

it sucks that there is no way of checking the washer fluid level - hence no way of knowing how long before ur next top up!!

my astra used to have the fluid level marker attached to the lid itself - why can't skoda do the same!?!?!

Not all models do without the low screen wash warning.

If you have the headlight wash system you get a larger reservoir and a low level sensor which triggers an audible warning together with a light on the dash.

Next time spec xenon’s, or as recommended make a habit of checking your fluids and levels each week :thumbup:

I just fill my bottle up every time I refill the fuel once a week :) it’s about a 2.5ltr reservoir I think.

My car is two months old and I had the fuse replaced on my headlight washers yesterday, they just stopped working on Friday when I collected her from Skoda after her warranty work, spoke to Skoda about this and said “I am concerned that this is going to keep happening whilst it’s being silly cold” their answer was to use concentrated screenwash from Halfords one that goes to about -15…..trouble is where I live it has been -20 haha so that won’t work.

To be honest I think I will just find the fuse and remove it whilst its winter…..ballache to keep having to replace the fuse :no:

Next time spec xenon’s, or as recommended make a habit of checking your fluids and levels each week :thumbup:

i didn't know about the dash warning indicator. i'd rather have a physical indicator i can check periodically, than wait for it to run low and start flashing on me.

if u looked at my signature - i do have xenons.

i also do check all the various fluids at least once a week. however the washer fluid does NOT have an indicator level marker like my previous cars did.

Not all models do without the low screen wash warning.

If you have the headlight wash system you get a larger reservoir and a low level sensor which triggers an audible warning together with a light on the dash.

you dont get the level sensor with xenons and washers on a VRS unfortunately :(

Got a Vrs with xenons & never seen any warning of low level on the dash, so either don't have it, it's not working or I am a good guy & top up regularly :D

Also, tried the quick flick option & it seemed to work, no screenwash splattered up the wings !

You can adjust the timing for the headlamp wash with VCDS. Look in the VCDS section on here and you'll see a thread by me about it. While it's right that they'll only fire every 5th wash, they'll activate the first time on a journey when you wash the windscreen. The default on mine was 200MS. I adjusted that back to 1500MS, so only if you still pulling the stalk after that time has elapsed will the headlamp washers come into play.

Steve

harveys sounds like you are a good boy or you don’t need to wash your windscreen as much as us hehe :rofl:

Maybe there is a bulb out on your dash guys, mine deffo works I will take a picture when I get in her in a few hours and post it up :D put some in last night but not to much as it's going to freeze again and couldn’t get to Halfords in time last night after work. Anyhoo also tried that quick flick trick and it works well did first time then I lost the rhythm but thanks for the tip :thumbup:

harveys sounds like you are a good boy or you don’t need to wash your windscreen as much as us hehe :rofl:

Maybe there is a bulb out on your dash guys, mine deffo works I will take a picture when I get in her in a few hours and post it up :D put some in last night but not to much as it's going to freeze again and couldn’t get to Halfords in time last night after work. Anyhoo also tried that quick flick trick and it works well did first time then I lost the rhythm but thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Probably the latter...don't do a huge mileage these days. Deffo not seen the warning light you've shown...will check.