Sadly the Scout had to go

A change of employment and the offer of a company car meant that I no longer required my Scout which was 11 weeks old and barely run in having only covered 8,000 miles.

Panic set in when I was only offered £16K from local East Anglian dealers, so back on the phone to the London dealership that I purchased the car from and I secured a deal for £100 over the original purchase price! Needless to say I didn’t delay in grabbing the offer with both hands.

It goes to show just how much demand there is for (nearly) new Octavia’s there is at the moment, especially those with AWD.

I was very sad to see the Scout go; it was very capable tackling light off-road duties and gave me great confidence in the recent wintery conditions. Now all I have to decide is whether to go for another Scout or the Superb 4x4, just a shame about the 6 month waiting times!

Yep, my 2008 pre-FL Scout is valued at more than I paid for it 18 months ago.

Never letting it go though, I love it.

Can you not opt for a car allowance and a pence/mile payment instead of a company car and keep your trusty Scout?

Can you not opt for a car allowance and a pence/mile payment instead of a company car and keep your trusty Scout?

I did try to go down this route, but they wouldn't have it, hence the panic sale!

That's a result on the price - you're very lucky to avoid a big drop on a nearly new car. Just shows how good the image of the octavia is in the used market - it also helps that yours is awd and we're in the middle of a big freeze :yes:

I can't believe how well the market seems to be working for Scouts! I bought mine from a Skoda dealer, 6 months old FL, 2k miles on for £17k back in August....haven't seen anything similar anywhere near that price recently! :thumbup:

There are quite a few companies now that are backing out of car allowance. Mainly for Health and Safety reasons....

Andy

You're right. As a former Fleet Manager, looking after over 600 cars was difficult enough without the challenge of the inconsistencies of the "grey fleet". The type of driver that you have to worry about is not typically a frequenter of forums like this one, although there are plenty of company car drivers who don't respect the benefit they've got and are normally the first to whinge about their tax... To balance it there are also a few very conscientious drivers who take pride like it was their own car. If they were all like that there would be fewer Fleet Managers though...

When I ordered my Scout just over a year ago I couldn't see how the dealer was going to sell their preFL demo at a price which was too close to the "no VAT" deal. If that was now they wouldn't have a problem.

There are quite a few companies now that are backing out of car allowance. Mainly for Health and Safety reasons....

The company I work for is the other way, no longer offering company cars as an option. New starters have to take the car allowance instead.

• 1 month later...

I ordered a manual Scout in June 2010 but whilst waiting delivery the DSG box option became available so I cancelled the manual and ordered a Scout with DSg Box. The dealer took my initial order as a demonstrator. If you are after a good spec Scout with manual box as your company car check out Thompson and Potter @ Burrelton. Car is advertised on the Skoda Used site too.

A change of employment and the offer of a company car meant that I no longer required my Scout which was 11 weeks old and barely run in having only covered 8,000 miles.

Panic set in when I was only offered £16K from local East Anglian dealers, so back on the phone to the London dealership that I purchased the car from and I secured a deal for £100 over the original purchase price! Needless to say I didn’t delay in grabbing the offer with both hands.

It goes to show just how much demand there is for (nearly) new Octavia’s there is at the moment, especially those with AWD.

I was very sad to see the Scout go; it was very capable tackling light off-road duties and gave me great confidence in the recent wintery conditions. Now all I have to decide is whether to go for another Scout or the Superb 4x4, just a shame about the 6 month waiting times!

You're right. As a former Fleet Manager, looking after over 600 cars was difficult enough without the challenge of the inconsistencies of the "grey fleet". The type of driver that you have to worry about is not typically a frequenter of forums like this one, although there are plenty of company car drivers who don't respect the benefit they've got and are normally the first to whinge about their tax... To balance it there are also a few very conscientious drivers who take pride like it was their own car. If they were all like that there would be fewer Fleet Managers though...

Don't really understand the point here. When you get a car allowance you pay your own tax and source your own car and servicing. insurance etc. When I had a car allowance in a previous job the company didn't even have a fleet manager. The MD wanted a say in what you bought for company image considerations but the companies involvement ended right there. Of course under these circumstances you do treat the car as if it was your own as it really is and if you break it you pay to get it fixed.

Isn't that the whole point in replacing company cars with allowances? So the company can get rid of its fleet and associated overheads?

Edited by juan27

Isn't that the whole point in replacing company cars with allowances? So the company can get rid of its fleet and associated overheads?

That's certainly what's happening at my company.

New starters are told if they want a company car, must choose from the pool of left-over cars.

Employees who's leases are expired, or close to, are being told to keep the car they have.

I'd imagine that in a short time everyone will be taking the cash and getting their own car.

The Yeti is in the same position at the moment, with 2nd hand ones for sale at higher than list prices....silly.

How to make money ..... buy a Skoda and then sell it for more than you paid for it. Who would have thought of that a while back...emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif Puts us Skoda owners up there (or down their depending on your point of view), with the likes of Aston's, ferrari's etc which sell 2nd hand over list price.

And the Yeti is almost as exclusive. In fact I see more Ferrari's & Aston's than I do Skoda Yeti's. Thats what you call exclusivity.

Mike

Andy

Would love someone to explain that one to me :dull:

Would love someone to explain that one to me :dull:

The company is paying you rovide a vehicle to use for company business. As such a duty of care is assumed for the employee, but alos the equipment must comply with PUWER, therefore the company must ensure the equipment is proberly inspected and maintained. This coupled with ensuring the employee has the correct insurance can put some companies of.

The company is paying you rovide a vehicle to use for company business. As such a duty of care is assumed for the employee, but alos the equipment must comply with PUWER, therefore the company must ensure the equipment is proberly inspected and maintained. This coupled with ensuring the employee has the correct insurance can put some companies of.

And all of this being 'so far as is reasonably practicable'. Although it would be practicable to check licences it may not be so to check MOT's and Insurance as this is the responsibility of the individual under the Road Traffic Act. I could see where the employer might, in fact would, be liable if they sent an employee out in a vehicle that was not' fit for purpose' but have yet to see any case where the employer has been liable for the condition of a private vehicle. (which is what you would be driving if you are given an allowance and the standard 40p per mile).

open to how you ineterperate the law i suppose (or how a judge does)

Man what are we doing, starting to look like an IOSH forum, lol :D

And all of this being 'so far as is reasonably practicable'. Although it would be practicable to check licences it may not be so to check MOT's and Insurance as this is the responsibility of the individual under the Road Traffic Act.

At our place they check driving licences and for use of private vehicles MOT and Insurance as a matter of course yearly. We have to provide copies for file purposes and sign an agreement stating that we will ensure the vehicle is serviced as per the manufacturers instructions and that weekly checks will be carried out on things like water/air/tyres/oil etc. For those of us that have a car allowance they won't provide hire cars and if we don't provide the relevant information then mileage expense claims can be refused.

Probably a bit over the top but H&S is a high priority and has led to the checks as a form of mitigating risks to both individuals and the company.

At our place they check driving licences and for use of private vehicles MOT and Insurance as a matter of course yearly. We have to provide copies for file purposes and sign an agreement stating that we will ensure the vehicle is serviced as per the manufacturers instructions and that weekly checks will be carried out on things like water/air/tyres/oil etc. For those of us that have a car allowance they won't provide hire cars and if we don't provide the relevant information then mileage expense claims can be refused.

Probably a bit over the top but H&S is a high priority and has led to the checks as a form of mitigating risks to both individuals and the company.

Impresive stuff :)

Impresive stuff :)

When we fill in our monthly expenses claim for using our personal vehicles we have to check a box stating fully comp, road worthy etc etc.