1. 1. Would You???

• Yes I would
    • No I would not

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm. Yeah!

Then again I've still got mine after 5+ years from new. The Mk2 vRS has me tempted, just not too keen on the styling. Too tall and gawky, the Mk1 is better resolved.

Outside of servicing my car has been virtually faultless :

High level rear brake light failed under warranty.

Coolant Temp sensor went intermittently faulty recently, but was replaced for free by the local dealer when in for a major service.

Drivers seat started squeaking recently. Other than that it's rattle free and aside from a couple of parking dents virtually mint.

Would I buy the same again? Well, no. But only because i'm a bit bored of the type of car. Next car will be a fair bit pokier and either a RWD with big engine or a big 4x4.

If I was in the same position I was 5 years ago wanting a small cheap quickish diesel to commute a lot of motorway miles in - definitely. Mine hasn't had any major problems in 5 years, although the rattles are a bit annoying. I think most VAGs get a bit rattly though, my old Leon certainly was the same.

If I was looking for the same car in the same situation I was in when I bought, yes I definitely would.

Right now, if it was written off? I'm not sure I could get another one that I'd be as happy with as mine as I've looked after it as much as I can think possible over the last 60k miles.

I'd have to say no for a few reasons.

• I don't want to own the same car twice
  • I want something that handles - Drove a Clio RS200 and made me realise how well FWD cars can handle. vRS now feels like a boat.
  • Loads of rattles and squeaks
  • I had to spray the front bumper after clipping a grass bank a few years ago in the snow. It's a good job but I don't have the same look in the car anymore
  • I want something a lot faster!

On the plus side it's fairly good on fuel and it's fairly cheap to maintain. When I bought it there was nothing else for the price, insurance cost or fuel economy that could touch it and being a student at the time was a no brainer. I'm still on the job search for a full time job so I'll have to keep it for a bit longer.

Edited by kai_mitsurugi

I've only had mine almost 6 months and I love it. If it suddenly died I would deffinately get another. As it mines a 55 plate so give it a few years there wouldn't be much point.

If Skoda made a hotter, newer diesel version (2.0 litre as mentioned before) it would still be on the list. It would be nice if they also offered a few more choices like 4wd. Then it will really be a contender

How do I vote maybe!!

Mine has many pro's and some cons I swear she's herbie reincarnated!

Pro's - goes like stink in a straight line, 55 mpg, cheap tax, I love the interior on my SE, practical, loads of neat touches (storage, stereo), has plenty of character, with my winter rally tyres on she's been like a little donkey plodding through the snow this year (unstoppable)

Cons (in my opinion) - steering quite vague, wiper fuse (why is it so fragile!!!), dealers service if you have had the misfortune to go to Benfield skoda in newcastle you'll know what I mean there's one poor lad does all the work and the other folk moan and drink coffee (rant over)

Anyhoo I'm torn as to say yes or no, however, I'm sure the next sunny day when I feel the whoosh of my lovely little se fling me towards the horizon it'll be yes, and the next fuse replacement will be a no!

Danny SE 813

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing today. I've had my Fabia over 6 months now, today I was behind a pearlescent red Mazda 3 identical to my previous car (bought from new and was newer than my Fabia when I sold it). The mazda looked lovely, its got a great interior, it was great to drive, it probably looks more "upmarket" than the Fabia, and I loved that car so much. Would I swap it back? No. Well not unless is was a 3 MPS and fuel wasnt an issue, but it is an issue!

I used to own a Clio 172 a few years back, that was a great car too but very cheap inside, I prefer my fabia to that.

I love the Furby, it puts a smile on my face everyday, however, I wish the seats weren't grey and I wish the door seals didnt leak! Cant wait to get it mapped in the future, I will be very happy with 180 bhp and 50(ish) mpg. Love the fact it's "just a Skoda", I'm converted :thumbup:

We have had 4 Fabia vrs cars and now my sons now have one each. I still look at this forum on a regular basis but we (well wife's) now have a Mazda 3mps (latest version - went a bit bigger) but it's a bit wild.and too showy. What I liked about the vrs was its understated looks and stealth factor. You could drive it in a calm way without having 'racers' trying to get 'one over' you. If the mps didn't have a bulge/vent in its bonnet I would prefer it, but Mazda deliberately put one in this latest model because people/magazines complained the previous didn't look sporty enough for an mps. Partly its down to my age. Fuel is about 32 mpg. If the new Fabia vrs had diesel and the 170 HP engine, or similar, I think that would have been our choice.

Both sons like the vrs though one has been unlucky. Last winter he was overtaking a lorry and a block of ice sheared off the top of it, hit his grill and smashed it. Could have killed him if he were a metre further forward. Then he was in a Leeds car park. Overnight some van decided to deliberately push the car over a high curb into a fence. All the underside and piping was damaged - massive bill. DId not use insurance because he was building up a no claims and it would have worked out more expensive.

Not the new one, unless they put a standard manual gearbox and 2.0L turbo diesel engine in it, had a test drive in the new vRS and told the dealer i wouldn't be changing my vRS SE for the new one, he said a few people had told him that plus under energetic driving the fuel consumption nose dives into the bottom 30's mpg not like in the old vRS that stays in the 40's mpg. Give me the choice of petrol or diesel and gearboxes and i'll change but not until, is it too much to ask of Skoda? let's face it, we've all enjoyed the performance AND economy with the old vRS give us the choice with the new one, coz let's face it we ain't going to get economy with a petrol engine.....Not sure if i like the look of the new one but that's coz i love my vRS SE so much, suppose it will grow on me when i have to change..........

, wiper fuse (why is it so fragile!!!),

The wiper fuse isn't "fragile" !!!!! It's protecting the pumps when they're frozen. Better for the fuse to blow than the motor to burn out !!!!

The solution is to make sure you've got enough washer fluid in the mixture!

Well I would have bought a Fabia vRS if it had been Diesel as i loved my Mk1, as you can see i have had to step up to an Octy, Picked it up 2 days ago, & I feel really at home in it, Like a comfortable coat emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

As much as i like my VRS im prob gona go back to VW next time. you can just tell the quality is better and the standard options on the VRS are terrible ie manual rear windows and terrible sound system.

We've had Fabia vrs cars and an Octavia (140bhp diesel). One of our cars is a VW Tiguan. I'm beginning to think that much of VW is perceived quality. OK the plastics etc give a good feel factor and they feel solid but...

In first few months Tiguan's electronic auto brake went dangerously wrong, Stereo unit faulty, corrosion of VW emblem in centre of wheel. Now 21/2 years old and the fuel filler outer flap needs a new spring as it stays stuck in and the rear door handle is sticking. No problems with Octavia and Fabias (except the SE which was a fault only a handful of cars had).

Recently read that VW are reducing which parts Skoda can have as standard as they are worried that the difference between the two brands is getting blurred as far as quality goes and with Skoda being cheaper sales may suffer.

Edited by Prasg

• 1 month later...

Went down to Ingram Skoda in Ayr with a view to trading mine in for a race blue '07 - however, it was sold by the time I got there - so yes!

My Lupo GTi would probably just edge it as my favourite car I've owned but the vRS is a more practical proposition (easier to get parts, tyres etc.).

I do love the PD130 engine and the gearbox - don't love the Swedish sauna look due to condensation.

Thinking of getting a MKV Golf GTi next year but possibly too common...

I often drive an aston martin vantage v8 and i would not buy one........i would rather a vrs any day of the week.......its a much better drive!!! :rofl:

i bought my first fabia vrs 2 weeks ago,and ive got to admit,i cant keep out of it.i was so surprised how good they are to drive.ive got a lupo gti and a e36 m3 and out of them all i like driving the fabia better.

If I was in the same position I was 5 years ago wanting a small cheap quickish diesel to commute a lot of motorway miles in - definitely.

If I was looking for the same car in the same situation I was in when I bought, yes I definitely would.

Right now, if it was written off? I'm not sure I could get another one that I'd be as happy with as mine as I've looked after it as much as I can think possible over the last 60k miles.

I'm the same as these two.

Wouldn't buy another now as it no longer fits our needs (hence why we have an Octavia on order).

But if you took me back to 2005 and gave me all the knowledge I now have about Fabia vRS's, would I still order one? Undoubtedly. It's been an awesome little car in the 5 and a half years we've had it. Only next time I'd add Xenons and heated seats!