Snow Socks (they work)

I don't know why you guys think these snow socks working. I put one pair my self on a snowing night. At first I thought they were brilliant, then when I turned a corner, my car made a 180 degree turn and scared the hell out of me. thank god there were no cars beside me otherwise there would have been a serious accident. I drove a lot more carefully afterwards especially when I was making the turn. but still the car spinned alot at another two occasions. Mind you, this spinning thing have never happened to me before when my car had no snow socks on. so my opinion is that unless you put two pairs on, you are better off without them. Also, they wear out very quickly once you hit the tarmic. my pair worn out after just one night, because I made one trip to the airport. I tried to maintain the speed at 50 km/hr, making me very stupid when the other cars passing me at 80. I now put winter tyres on and I love them. they are too much better than the snow socks and works out cheaper in the long run.

Snow socks are a good emergency solution, but after using mine for a day I bought a set of winter tyres. The main problem for me was finding somewhere safe to pull over and take them off before going on the motorway. Because of the ice and snow the roads were effectively single lane with all the verges piled high with snow. The other benefit of winter tyres is that they are giving you that extra grip all the time, and are better at expelling extra slush and water on the motorway.

I do live in Scotland though, so experience temperatures below 7c for 4-5 months of the year. I appreciate it's not the same in the sunny south B)

The idea of of these things are to get you out of trouble, not a replacement for winters Tyres. If you doing 180's your really do need to slow down. Done about 100 miles sine saturday, 50 on the socks and not had a problem. Today they were used in -16c. Yes can be a pain to plan where to remove them but they only take a minute to remove.

My car's parked on a gradient and I can get them on fine...trick is to adapt, when you roll the car to pull the remainder of the sock over the tyre, go in whichever way is downhill. My instructions said I had to drive forwards, but as long as the wheel turns you'll be fine

Which normally wouldn't be too much of a problem except a dumb neighbour has parked 6" off the nose of the car and it's thick snow behind and underneath, so it's going nowhere!

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

The ultimate driving machine :rofl:

IF that is a BMW shouldnt the socks be on the rear wheels ? OOPS far too late , must remember to read WHOLE post before making comments. :blush:

Edited by BillyT1903

Uased my for the first time this morning on my 2.0TDi 4x4. Up to now the 4x4 has been fine even on its standard conti sports contacts, but this morning on one of the lane here in North Wales I ran out of grip. got halfway up a particularl;y steep hill with 6-7 in of fresh snow, and came to a gentle halt with all 4 wheels spining. Couldnt even hold it on the hand brake just slid back down to the bottom ! put the snow socks on and drove straight up the hill like it was dry tarmac. Then had another couple of miles of ups and down with tight bends all on vergin snow to the main road. Worked brilliantly. No problems with traction steering or braking. I only had one set on the front (as recomended by Autosocks) but really never felt the need for second set. Took them off as soon as I got to main road. Without them I'd still be there! Thats the point really they are a fantastic "get out of Jail free card" not a replament for winter tyres

Lee

Well just had the need to use mine, went to the G/F's parents to drop off some christmas presents doing a 3 point turn in the cul-de-sac half way through got stuck on ice couldnt go any further, popped them on 2 mins later on our way again. So impressed!

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the dumb ass BMW driver with the snow socks picture, PMSL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, might need to get a set myself. My vRS on Pilot Sport 3s was completely useless. It's not that I can't drive in the snow as the day before I'd driven 50 miles through it in SWMBO's Renault Modus, including the last 100 yards snow ploughing to our house through 12" fresh snow. B)

Picture.jpg

Edited by milnei