4 new tyres required-- ouch....

my vrs needs 4 new tyres :doh: , i was going to get some kumho's but ive been told by my mechanic mate that these are crap, so guys can you recommend me a decent mid-range no more than £100 a corner. i do about 18k a year my car has 18's. also does anyone know if camskill are any good for prices and delivery £

Edited by studmuffin

my vrs needs 4 new tyres :doh: , i was going to get some kumho's but ive been told by my mechanic mate that these are crap, so guys can you recommend me a decent mid-range no more than £100 a corner. i do about 18k a year

Usually false economy. Contis or Michelins usual come out best and work out similar pence per mile as mid range tyres, a bit like fairy liquid. Also better at stopping so less likely to have an accident etc.

Uniroyal Rain masters ( rain sport ) you won't find a better tyre in the wet, superb in the dry

Just switched to Uniroyal Rain Sport 2s from Hankook V12 Evos and am impressed so far. Having said that I thought the Hankooks were also a good tyre and about £10 - £15 a tyre cheaper than the Uniroyals on Camskill.

Camskill are fine; good service and fast delivery (weather permitting). I have alternatively used Elite direct http://www.elitedirect.com in Rainham (for mail order) they're fine too.

Tyres? My weapon of choice are Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas that should come in on budget (except Camskill are out of stock at present). Falken 452 are OK and cheap but don't expect them to last too long.

Uniroyal Rain masters ( rain sport ) you won't find a better tyre in the wet, superb in the dry

these sound favourite at the moment, do they make much noise ?

These online sites like, camskill etc, etc are they really worth the hassle? By the time you’ve ordered them, had them delivered to your house, lugged them into your boot { if they all fit !} paid the fitting charge, is it that much cheaper ? if im saving more than a tenner a tyre. i will most probably do it.

These online sites like, camskill etc, etc are they really worth the hassle? By the time you’ve ordered them, had them delivered to your house, lugged them into your boot { if they all fit !} paid the fitting charge, is it that much cheaper ? if im saving more than a tenner a tyre. i will most probably do it.

Most are just a middle man with local tyre fitting places, you can then book in with the local tyre place and get them fitted as part of the price

Got Kumho KH or KU27's (I think that was the number) fitted to the wifes car (Mazda 5) and they are more than capable, feel much more reassuring that the original Dunlop SP's that let us down (cracked & dangerous after only 7k)...I am not saying the Kumho's are the best - clearly they are not, but I reckon they are decent VFM, which seems to be one of your criteria. So I'd not rule them out.

Camskill are fine; good service and fast delivery (weather permitting). I have alternatively used Elite direct http://www.elitedirect.com in Rainham (for mail order) they're fine too.

:thumbup:

Have used Camskill and was impressed by their speedy despatch. Also worth a look is http://www.mytyres.co.uk - they were also quick to despatch. The last time I bought tyres, Camskill were slightly cheaper but not much in it! :D

I've used them primarily when my local tyre fitting dealer (that I prefer to use) can't supply the tyres I want.

I just had to get 4 new ones too :S The fronts were right on the limit (as in *RIGHT* on the limit!) and the backs were not far behind, so with all the snow 'n ice 'n stuff I thought heck I might as well get them all done. Not what you need right before Christmas though....!!

Anyway, I used Black Circles and they were great - delivered tyres to local garage near where I work and they fitted them couple of days later. Defo worth checking them out as they do seem to be amongst the best for price. I got Falken 452 as they were on special offer and I'd read quite a few good reports about them. So far they seem to be great, defo quieter than previous (Sessanta)...just have to see how well they last.

I got Maxxis MAZ1 for about £75 a corner. Very similar price to Falkens.

Been pretty good so far. Certainly better than the Contis that were OEM but a bit noisier than the Avons I had last.

Edited by Aspman

I had 4 Falkens fitted by Event tyres back when I had my BMW. They did me a deal even though the front and back were different. I think the Falkens were easily 90% as good as the Continentals that I had before. Even came to me at work and they even set the pressures right!

Simon

been recommended Goodyear Excellence at £105 a corner, any good ? have always had goodyears on my other cars, the vectra sri i have just got rid of, had nct5's and they had done 42k on the rears when i got rid of the car

been recommended Goodyear Excellence at £105 a corner, any good ? have always had goodyears on my other cars, the vectra sri i have just got rid of, had nct5's and they had done 42k on the rears when i got rid of the car

They're pretty good. They won EVO's 2007 Tyre test with Vred's Ultrac Sessantas coming second.

PS> Correction; as the above is wrong; courtesy of PowerMalc

The Goodyear Excellence did not win the EVO 2007 tyre test it was the Goodyear F1 Assymetric, a totally different tyre.

The Excellence was one of two standard tyres fitted to Focus ST and the general consensus was that they were cr*p. The F1 Assymetric was totally the opposite, brilliant in wet or dry and wore well. They are a bit more expensive but worth it

One point to watch on cheap tyres e.g. Falken, Maxxis, Kumho etc. is the wear rate; you often get what you pay for.

From experience I have been buying Vred's Ultrac Sessantas @ £100 per corner as opposed to Michelin Pilot Exalto @ £150 per corner BUT they only lasted 2/3rds as long. That is; on a £££ per mile basis they actually cost the same (except that they had better wet grip than the Pilot Exaltos).

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Have a look at this http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/advice/tiretutor/ it may help or confuse :| if you can't choose a tyre then get technical, find a AA rated tyre with a tread compound of 200 this should give you a good wearing good in wet and dry weather and not too noisy. the harder the tread compound the more likely it will last longer but will be noisier, don't go for less than AA rating. I think Conti's have a softer compound hence their great grip but faster wearing.

But find this info online is not easy sometimes.

Darren

They're pretty good. They won EVO's 2007 Tyre test with Vred's Ultrac Sessantas coming second.

One point to watch on cheap tyres e.g. Falken, Maxxis, Kumho etc. is the wear rate; you often get what you pay for.

From experience I have been buying Vred's Ultrac Sessantas @ £100 per corner as opposed to Michelin Pilot Exalto @ £150 per corner BUT they only lasted 2/3rds as long. That is; on a £££ per mile basis they actually cost the same (except that they had better wet grip than the Pilot Exaltos).

The Goodyear Excellence did not win the EVO 2007 tyre test it was the Goodyear F1 Assymetric, a totally different tyre.

The Excellence was one of two standard tyres fitted to Focus ST and the general consensus was that they were cr*p. The F1 Assymetric was totally the opposite, brilliant in wet or dry and wore well. They are a bit more expensive but worth it