Anyone else's washer jets completely given up?

Driving home tonight the front washer jets stopped working. Pulled over to top up the reservoir, but it didn't need much, and also checked the rear washer jet was working, which it was.

So, sprayed a ****load of de-icer over and around the washer nozzle area but to no avail, still couldn't get a drip out of them, even after waiting for some time. The car had also been driven for over an hour beforehand anyway so engine and engine bay were well warmed up.

Am now slightly concerned I may have damaged the nozzles continuing to try to use them when they seem to be frozen solid, anyone experienced anything similar?

Also slightly concerning was the fact that the spare bottle of pre-mixed fluid I keep in the boot was partly frozen! Brrrr. -11C!

They will just be frozen in this weather. Mine have been fine the last couple of weeks but this weekend it hasn't been in the garage and the overnight cold just freezes them up (didn't put in the garage as the wheel arches are literally full of snow!)

[Edit: originally aimed at jrw but equally applicable to Bezzy, hooray!]

Aye, I s'pose, jut a bit disconcerting that they didn't start working again at all after a good spray with de-icer, not had that before!

Will have to use almost neat mix for the time being!

Edited by BigC

Aye, I s'pose, jut a bit disconcerting that they didn't start working again at all after a good spray with de-icer, not had that before!

Will have to use almost neat mix for the time being!

It won't be just the nozzles that are frozen.

If the pre-mix you had in the boot was slushy what hope has the same stuff outside in the washer bottle and pipes got.

It won't be just the nozzles that are frozen.

If the pre-mix you had in the boot was slushy what hope has the same stuff outside in the washer bottle and pipes got.

Good point well made, though was hoping the stuff in the reservoir and pipes might benefit from engine bay warmth, obviously not enough though!

The arm of one of my headlight washer jets as frozen open.Not sure whats caused it.

As water freezes it expands.

The headlight washers use water pressure to extend out of the bumper.

As the water in them freezes it forces them up.

They'll retract when the temperatures drop, or try defrosting them with a little warm water...

Was hoping the stuff in the reservoir and pipes might benefit from engine bay warmth, obviously not enough though!

I'd hoped the same too, though I think despite the warmth from the engine in these extreme temperatures it is still not enough.

I did notice one morning that they were frozen. Even though the temperature stayed the same they'd defrosted when I went out at lunch, so the heat accumulating under the bonnet did help, but only after the car was stood for a few hours...

I’ve since tried neat screen wash which has helped…

03-12-2010.jpg

As water freezes it expands.

The headlight washers use water pressure to extend out of the bumper.

As the water in them freezes it forces them up.

They'll retract when the temperatures drop, or try defrosting them with a little warm water...

Cheers for that.I've only had the car 4 weeks so i'm still figuring it all out.

Don't forget that even though the washer pipes and jets may have defrosted whilst the car was stood parked up and the engine bay was warm they'll soon freeze up again once you start driving when the temp is as low as this with the extra wind chill factor from driving along at whatever speed.

Tonight mine worked fine on the vRS when i left work but after 25 minutes of driving along the motorway at 70-80mph they had frozen solid by the time i was approaching home. :thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

Returned this evening from a day return trip to Cardiff (140mls each way). Journey there fine, topped up water resevoir - with water - for return trip (Note to self - keep screen wash in the car, not in garage!). About halfway back, front washers stopped working - rear ok then but stopped later. At home, saw both headlamp washers were jammed open. Sprayed liberally with de-icer and they have now partially retracted (didn't want to force them). Poured neat screen wash into resevoir and after a few attempts front and rear washers are now working again.

Edited by fbrj

I'm using neat screen wash at the moment just had a drive to and from manchester and the temp didn't go above -4 both ways, was at -9 a few times didn't have any problem with my washers at all. I was looking at a few bottles of ready mixed winter screen wash at a couple of petrol stations and they all said good to -4 or -5 which wouldn't be good at all lol. Had some outside the back door a couple of weeks back and all the water was frozen with only the neat stuff at the bottom.

Had my neighbour come round at the beginning of last week asking if i could look at his washers as they wern't working looked at the fuse and it was gone so went to motorsave and they had sold out of 10amp fuses! Guy guessed straight away it was for washers lol

Edited by Raf_75

I drove from Leicester back to Manchester last night and it was on average about -4 the whole way....they actually worked all the way back (though it was obviously struggling a bit towards the end to force the fluid past the globs of ice on the washers!) but my windscreen wipers looked like two sticks of candyfloss by the time I got home....frozen screenwash all over them! :giggle:

Didn't even bother trying them this morning.....-9 coming into work!

Mine froze a few weeks ago when the temperature dropped below -5 degrees, so increased the mix to 1ltr of VAG screenwash to 2ltrs of water.

The drive to work this morning saw the temperature variing between -4 and -11 degrees and they worked perfectly.

I'd have never bought genuine screenwash last year, but I'm converted. Well worth it !!

Edited by swil00

Mine froze a few weeks ago when the temperature dropped below -5 degrees, so increased the mix to 1ltr of VAG screenwash to 2ltrs of water.

The drive to work this morning saw the temperature variing between -4 and -11 degrees and they worked perfectly.

I'd have never bought genuine screenwash last year, but I'm converted. Well worth it !!

Interesting, what's special about the VAG stuff over yer generic?

Looks like Jabbasport have an offer on too if anyone fancies collecting or chancing delivery... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/183392-special-offer-on-vag-screenwash-anti-freeze/

I've had it happen plenty of times. Usually due to 'concentrated' screen wash only going down to -5C.

I've been using dearer screen wash this year, started off on Halfrauds pink stuff that goes down to -15C and now I'm using the VAG stuff I got at my last service (filled the reservoir so they game me a bottle so they can charge for the service pack). So far I've been fine right down to -17C.

I've got the VAG stuff at 1:3.

VAG stuff goes down to -70C neat.

I think Aldi and Lidl will occasionally sell similar stuff that goes 1:100 in summer.

Edited by Aspman

Looks like Jabbasport have an offer on too if anyone fancies collecting or chancing delivery... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/183392-special-offer-on-vag-screenwash-anti-freeze/

The guy in the parts department in a local dealer put me onto it when I went to get new washer jets as my originals were partially blocked.

He said it was caused by the non VAG screenwash clogging them up, my reply yeah right heard it all now "need to use genuine screenwash", but tried a litre of the stuff and haven't

used anything else since.

The label on the bottle says its good down to -70 degrees if used neat.

I usually just pick up a few litre bottles when I'm passing a dealer. Got four at the weekend for just over £12. Think you can get it in 5litre concentrate too, but doesn't seem to be as easy

to get hold of.

Good deal, but the postage means its out for me. My local dealer does it for just over £3 a bottle inc VAT.

The guy in the parts department in a local dealer put me onto it when I went to get new washer jets as my originals were partially blocked.

He said it was caused by the non VAG screenwash clogging them up, my reply yeah right heard it all now "need to use genuine screenwash", but tried a litre of the stuff and haven't

used anything else since.

The label on the bottle says its good down to -70 degrees if used neat.

I usually just pick up a few litre bottles when I'm passing a dealer. Got four at the weekend for just over £12. Think you can get it in 5litre concentrate too, but doesn't seem to be as easy

to get hold of.

Thanks, will see if I can pick some up then, just have to hope it gets warm enough for the stuff already in the system to melt so I can shift it!

I once heard someone mention you could put vodka in your screenwash, as it doesn't freeze. May be worth a try. Not sure how much mind :p

Not an urban myth. I used to be in the RAF in Germany (late 80s) and vodka was indeed used as screenwash - tax free the really cheap stuff was cheaper than screenwash and it did work, in fact it was so rough you'd never consider drinking the stuff so it was win win all round :)