snow!

spud7997

My vrs was not too bad on standard tyres with falken 452's on the front, only got stuck twice and that was because the cupra spoiler was acting as a plough, took it off for the time being. Got winter tyres on now and it hasn't snowed :dull:

Traction control on or off the wheels still spin and spin and spin trying to get up the smallest incline away from my house, :doh:

However two tesco bags for life under the wheels and i was able to make it a metre at a time... :thumbup:

I can't see what all the fuss is about, nor can I see the need for winter tyres. Admittedly, I have a TDi. But it is on spiders with 225 budget rubber, summer tyres and is lowered so that the sump tray skids along the snow. Surprised at how well it's coped so far, touch wood haven't been stuck yet and have been doing lots of driving even on untouched back roads with a good 4-5 inches of snow and fairly steep inclines!Not saying that none of you can drive by any means, but I do think a huge proportion of progress is down to using clutch/gas appropriately. My take on things is that snow tyres help to give you that little bit more grip and allow you to drive more normally in snow. But that's not to say all weather tyres won't let you drive in snow at all!Additionally, I turn ASR off when driving in snow. If that makes much difference i'm not sure!?

Keeping the ASR on should actually help I think. The EDL will pulsate the brake caliper at the spinning wheel, transferring the power to the wheel with the most grip. So in theory it should help.....

It's all about the winter tyres. You'd never appreciate the difference until you've tried it. There's a reason they are compulsory in mainland Europe.

But yeah, people can be complete spazzers in the snow! I had to drive my uncles Saab 93 around for him in Devon all weekend because he had an amazing ability to get stuck the whole time! He couldn't believe it when we just drove straight up hills using my slightly more refined technique! Londoners....

I was on the A34, M40 and A43 last night. That was interesting. All down to one lane, and cars/trucks abandoned everywhere. The roads were an absolute joke. Massive lumps of ice frozen to the road so it was like driving down a lumpy cobbled street at -9!

Not actually had any issues with mine, decked on 18s with Nankangs. Personally (please don't take this the wrong way), I think the type of car you have in the snow contributes about 10% of it's ability. The other 90% is down to the driver

I have an uphill/downhill commute to work, and with all the snow we've had recently I've just had to plan my journey's better, leave more time for the journey and keep well clear of the car in front etc

I've had some major dramas, my car is standard with falken 452's front and rear.

The first lot of snow a couple of weeks back my front tyres had less than 500 miles on them. Grip has improved but I do find myself struggling where I see other cars just plough through.

I think the type of car you have in the snow contributes about 10% of it's ability. The other 90% is down to the driver.

I agree, my job entails driving lots of different vehicles and for the most part that statement is true. I've sailed past quattros spinning up all over the place simply because the owner must assume that 4 wheel drive means invulnerability from a poor road surface. There is definitely a reason winter tyres are a legality, unfortunately, I think the reason is because so many drivers are simply terrible, it's more effective making the machine more capable than the driver...

I agree, my job entails driving lots of different vehicles and for the most part that statement is true. I've sailed past quattros spinning up all over the place simply because the owner must assume that 4 wheel drive means invulnerability from a poor road surface. There is definitely a reason winter tyres are a legality, unfortunately, I think the reason is because so many drivers are simply terrible, it's more effective making the machine more capable than the driver...

So what must i be doing wrong then?? as i could not get the wheels to stop spinning without the tesco bags!!! :(

I found our vRS estate to be pretty good in the snow (stock). The only problem (as noted in another post) is that the front bumper's clearance means it acts like a snow plough when there is more then 10cm of snow on the ground or when it gets piled up between the tracks. Last week we managed to get past a volvo xc90 that was stuck spinning its wheels on a hill but I think that was mainly because we took a proper run at it while the volvo approached too timidly.

That said, I put a set of dunlop winter m2s on the front last week and now the car is unstoppable. As already mentioend, you won't believe the difference until you try a set of proper winter tyres. Last night we cruised comfortably past a BMW X3 that was completely stuck on a hill (fair enough they are known to be ****e but even still) and can get up some really amazing inclines without any problems at all. Got the tyres second hand for £100 with 6mm remaining and had them fitted at a local garge for £10 per wheel. With the weather round here lately (Edinburgh), I reckon they will be worth having.

I do reckon the vRS is not to bad stock though. Compared to my mates A4 and y Dad's Saab it is far more competent in the snow even without the snow tyres.

iep

So what must i be doing wrong then?? as i could not get the wheels to stop spinning without the tesco bags!!! :(

Too much gas, wrong gear, poor clutch control. Quite a lot of things could even be your tyre pressures.

Have you tried putting it in first and taking your foot off the clutch slowly with no gas and see if it will pull it's self up the hill?

Might be worth watching a couple of episodes of ice road truckers saved me going into the ditch when I caught the soft stuff a couple of weeks ago, knew what was happening and how to get out of the situation lol

I just use engine torque. I can get in and out of my road without using the accelerator at all. Lightly bring the clutch out to get rolling, into 2nd then depending on the conditions either shift again to 3rd and let the engine run along - or if grip is available use some accelerator in 2nd.

Works for me :)

Not actually had any issues with mine, decked on 18s with Nankangs. Personally (please don't take this the wrong way), I think the type of car you have in the snow contributes about 10% of it's ability. The other 90% is down to the driver

I have an uphill/downhill commute to work, and with all the snow we've had recently I've just had to plan my journey's better, leave more time for the journey and keep well clear of the car in front etc

+ 1

My 18" RS4's and Nankangs are coping well.

Reduced air pressures and careful on clutch and gear change and get out off 1st asap and all seems ok.

Having the car on stiff coilovers and low does not also help as it tries to force the loss in traction as no give in suspension but again still manage it.

It's all about the winter tyres. You'd never appreciate the difference until you've tried it. There's a reason they are compulsory in mainland Europe.

Too right. The difference is incredible - my Octy has been unstoppable in the snow and it's pretty hilly in the Peak District! On the ASR thing, I find it helps in snow too (again, I suspect it's the EDL that is the benefit).

In addition to the other guys saying about it, I currently have budget tyres on and they seem to cope very well with the snow. I wonder if by some accident, some manufacturing process in making cheaper tyres has an unexpected benefit in these conditions?Actually that sounds like nonsense.... :giggle:

different brands of tyres, cheap or otherwise use varying compounds that react to the temperature. So some summer tyres are rather good in the white stuff as well, I am on my second set of Hankook Evo12's but been driving SWMBO's Passat as I bent the 4x4 on a pot ditch (it was too big to be called a hole :D). But I think the biggest problem with this country is lack of ability for 99% of the drivers out there. It doesn't help that the media is constantly banging on about the weather and the driving conditions blah blah blah but NEVER, NEVER EVER do they think to broadcast some simple advice on HOW TO drive in the conditions, we just get the usual "don't drive unless absolutely neccessary" cr4p. If people were going to get paid to stay at home with a cup of coco in front of the fire do they think they would say "oh no I think I will go to work instead" makes me laugh :D The number of people I have walked past trying to get up hills by reving the nuts off their car is shocking, tap the window and offer them some freindly advice, to back off and just let the tourqe in 2nd take them up the hill and off they go only to catch up with them 2 minutes further up the hill spinning out again. (rant over :D)

I've done 269 miles in last 48 hours in my vRS without dramas, except those caused by other idiots.

Simple rule, as above - forget you've got a right foot.

ALL accelerating by feathering clutch at tickover. If the turbo kicks in you've done it wrong again.

No need for brakes - if you have to hit the brake pedal and slide, you're going to quick for the conditions.

Winter tyres would be lovely, but I simply can't afford £800 for a spare set of spiders and tyres.

Compaired to my previous volvo s40 diesel the VRS is brilliant in the snow,

Bit of snow and the volvo would be hopeless but the VRS just keeps going, the traction control does have its uses after all (just thought it was there to spoil my fun)

Standard car with standard wheels running half worn pirellis P7's up front

It is shocking I've spent the afternoon out the front of the house helping retards up the street, mind you it is bad and once you stop you kind of screwed as the incline is deciving.

The general rule is rev the tits off it and cover me with snow. I've been giving free driving lessons all afternoon and mostly telling people not to abandone cars in stupid places and getting them up the street.

I've ended clearing a huge area of the road today with help from a fella over the road, mostly been me on my own though, quite annoying though as no-else has bothered on the worst bit down the end a 90 degree left hander up hill on a very narrow street. I can't do it all though .....

Do you think I'll get a medal or something else ???

I have been driving my superb DSG with summer tyres on it round Dorset today and we all know how bad its been down here. The car is now parked outside my house and the snow is nearly 1/2 way up the wheel.

The problem is peoples driving. Between Wimborne and Blandford there is a small village named Tarrant Keynstone, indeed the local BBC reporter was reporting from the pub there today (True Lovers Knot). Either side is a steep hill, and there was someone driving a Kia Picanto up the hill and had got stuck with the wheels spinning. I sailed passed in my car with its massive 18" 225 wide low profile summer tyres, the look on her face. She must of been wondering why I was making it look so easy, slow and steady with little throttle is the order of the game.

Do you think I'll get a medal or something else ???

Something else :D the satisfaction of helping someone to get going only for them to regress into "rev the tits off it and cover me with snow" 20 yards up the road :D

I've been reading most of the comments on this thread and agree that most of the problems come down to the way people drive in the snow. However believe me, I live in the valleys of South Wales and I can truely say that I am a true advocate of winter tyres. I've had the chance to drive this car on summer and winter tyres in the snow and ice recently and I don't think I will ever go a winter here again without winter tyres. There is much more grip with dedicated winter tyres. As a previous post states 4x4s are useless if on the wrong tyres. I also have access to a volvo XC90 which is shod with mud and snow tyres. However even that is struggling with the snow and ice around the South Wales valleys at the moment. I have a Octavia Elegance 4x4 estate and it's got Dunlop SP wintersport 3D tyres on it and much prefer to drive that than the Volvo at the moment. Much better when descending hills the Winter tyres provide much more grip on the snow and ice. Still haven't worked out if it better to have ESP on or off. I am favouring it off when descending as the ABS seems to allow the brakes to stay on longer. Going up hill starting off on a slope I've tried off and on and can't make a decision which is better.