DPF Light Again!

Hi there, so had my car back from dealer after DPF light came on and it went into limp mode. All sorted

Drove over to Norfolk and drove around there a bit prob total of 400miles then low and behold the light is back on, again I folllowed the directions in the manual but the light wouldn't go off, managed to get it back to North Wales without going into limp mode.

Obviously dealer will be my first call on Weds am, but in the meantime has anyone got any suggestions why this would happen so soon after having it back from the dealer (supposedly sorted)

Also I think I read here someone has had theirs remaped (if thats the correct term) to avoid the DPF, what are the pros and cons of this and what does it entail??

Thanks in anticipation

Hi there, so had my car back from dealer after DPF light came on and it went into limp mode. All sorted

Drove over to Norfolk and drove around there a bit prob total of 400miles then low and behold the light is back on, again I folllowed the directions in the manual but the light wouldn't go off, managed to get it back to North Wales without going into limp mode.

Obviously dealer will be my first call on Weds am, but in the meantime has anyone got any suggestions why this would happen so soon after having it back from the dealer (supposedly sorted)

Also I think I read here someone has had theirs remaped (if thats the correct term) to avoid the DPF, what are the pros and cons of this and what does it entail??

Thanks in anticipation

Regarding DPF removal, PM Ben at Shark performance, he'll sort it ( shark90)

If I am not mistaken when the dpf reaches a clogging stage of 37 % this has to be changed.Did the dealer do a print out from the VAS to see at what stage this has been clogged ?.I'd say that driving style and conditions where you drive the car are also the key to the DPF's blocking.Do you do a lot of city driving at low speeds ?.Shark performance here do mods on DPF's,removing the innards and remapping of the ECU for around 400ish quid with no effect whatsoever for the MOT ....

If I am not mistaken when the dpf reaches a clogging stage of 37 % this has to be changed.Did the dealer do a print out from the VAS to see at what stage this has been clogged ?.I'd say that driving style and conditions where you drive the car are also the key to the DPF's blocking.Do you do a lot of city driving at low speeds ?.Shark performance here do mods on DPF's,removing the innards and remapping of the ECU for around 400ish quid with no effect whatsoever for the MOT ....

Think its 95% before has to be changed- mine has been force regenerated from 50% and 65% before- I cant imagine anyone who has had to have a new dpf as 95% would take many hours driving with the light on. I drove all the way from luton to carlisle ( 300 miles ) with all 3 lights on and it was still only 50% clogged when tested

I was (Up until recently) a service advisor at a local Skoda dealership, Things are getting silly bloody engine management lights, Dpf warnings really a king sized pain in the arse why the hell they dont test the technology further is beyond me, VW/Skoda really arent doing themselves any favours and really do sod all to help the dealers as well, Im sooooo glad to be out of it I was sick to death of issue after issue, I used to really endorse the product years ago and really enjoyed working with it but wouldnt recommend anyone buy one nowadays I think sadly that theyre nothing but a troublesome pile of :thumbdown:

I still have no problems with my 05 Octavia 2.0ltr TDi (Car from the good days) , and can honestly say my 20 year old french sack of poo is more reliable and trouble free than the majority of the cars I saw at work !, sorry to be so negative

:giggle:

My 2008-58 CR vRS had similar symptoms along with very poor fuel economy.

In the end, after 2 weeks of investigation the DPF was replaced under warranty and the problem was resolved.

If the car is out of warranty DPF removal seems by far the best option to me.

Thanks in anticipation

Have to say no issues with mine for now, 2010 car with 14k covered, reading the Skoda info advice it does say to think about purchasing a car with DPF first and given the suggested remedy if DPF light should activate....

Have to say no issues with mine for now, 2010 car with 14k covered, reading the Skoda info advice it does say to think about purchasing a car with DPF first and given the suggested remedy if DPF light should activate....

the suggested remedy was followed and didn't work

Jabbasport can also remove them :thumbup: No more worries, better performance & better mpg.

We had one on the Superb & after the hassles of that I vowed I would never have the same problems again on the Octy

Firstly ask the retailer if they have carried out the workshop campaign (sofware update) and have a look at the part number on the G450 pressure sensor.

The modified ones are 076 and end in a A. Also check the build date on the sensor.If it starts with 03G- Bin it for the new modified one. It will look something like 42/08 with a KC4 manufacture code.

Once this campaign has been carried out you will never have a DPF issue again.

The particulate filter will only need replacing if the soot content exceeds 90% with a risk of a thermal incident if overidden. Make sure that the retailer hasn't just reset the ash mass value and kicked it out the door.

HTH

Firstly ask the retailer if they have carried out the workshop campaign (sofware update) and have a look at the part number on the G450 pressure sensor.

The modified ones are 076 and end in a A. Also check the build date on the sensor.If it starts with 03G- Bin it for the new modified one. It will look something like 42/08 with a KC4 manufacture code.

Once this campaign has been carried out you will never have a DPF issue again.

The particulate filter will only need replacing if the soot content exceeds 90% with a risk of a thermal incident if overidden. Make sure that the retailer hasn't just reset the ash mass value and kicked it out the door.

HTH

this workshop campaign was it a recall/something that should have been carried out by the dealer and has been missed??

I'm pretty sure the sensor was already replaced in May 08 under warranty

Well spoke to the dealer the other day, he's now telling me it probably needs a new sensor

and will cost £43 plus labour of approx an hour, seems ridiculous considering how I've already paid them to repair it once!!!

There is a strongly worded letter heading their way to this effect

the sensor is a two minute job to fit and i've seen a couple of the new sensors on ebay

Not really the point though as a failed attempt to repair has already been paid for.

The dealer should be bending over backwards to keep their customer happy. Attempting to charge the OP again to fix something that wasn't fixed properly the first time sounds a little harsh.

i understand that and agree i meant as a last resort, i've known a few people do their own because of the lack of service from the dealers. their probably hoping you drive round till the dpf gets fully clogged and the hit you with the 1K for a new one.

i understand that and agree i meant as a last resort, i've known a few people do their own because of the lack of service from the dealers. their probably hoping you drive round till the dpf gets fully clogged and the hit you with the 1K for a new one.

True, it's reassuring to know if you don't get anywhere with the dealer there is a cheap and simple DIY fix :thumbup:

what i am most p***sed off with is that fact I had it back from the dealer and some 500 miles later its gone again

Just checked the invoice and they caqrried out the following

"investigate glow plug warning lamp on, diesel particular fault, regenerate filter faults via 5051, and carry out extensive road test all ok!

Can anyone explain what "regenerate filter faults via 5051" means

VRS in again today for more than the 12th time in 3yrs , with same bloody DPF fault. This time engine had gone into safe mode with flashing glow plug light and no power. Many of my european business colleagues with VW/Audi's have same fault, so it's not unique to Skoda.

Car has 74K on clock, 3 yrs & 1 mth old, main dealer serviced from new and driven as required - spirited !!

Dealer diagnosed DPF total faiure, new filter needed £1,000 plus 3hrs to fit - pleased car is company car.

Would never never never have another Skoda, car has been plagued with problems since new, bits falling off, paintwork fault, bonnet catch failure, burst screenwash pipe to rear flooding car inside, fuel filler cap lock broken, exhaust filter sensor failed, - the list is endless and of course the favourite DPF light .....................................................

Roll-on Nov' 2011 when the lease is up, even my dealer says he hates the car !!!!!

DPF - total nightmare do not buy car with this fitted to PD engine

5051 is the diagnostics machine that dealers use, i presume they unblocked the dpf filter using the machine (it heats up the dpf to unblock it manually) and took it for a test drive. in an ideal world you should never really know the car is regenerating