ENGINE BAY COLOUR ?

god323

Have just popped my bonnet to top up washer fluids check oil and generally have a look after owning my beast for a couple of weeks now.

SHOCK HORROR my engine bay and under bonnet look like they are only painted in primer grey car is steel grey metallic!!!!

Now that i have had time to calm down i am not sure if it is primer or just a grey paint and wonder if this is just a cost cutting exercise by skoda.

wing paint stops on edge of wing that dissapears in to panel gap between wing and bonnet.

Going back to dealer next week anyway so have asked them to check other stock.

Can anyone clarifiy this to me?

CHEERS.

Advice is something you ask for only when you already know the costs involved are high!!!

Manufactures still paint the engine bay the same colour as the body, the reason it looks different is because many of them no longer lacquer the 'unseen' bits any more (engine bay, under boot carpet etc).

Mine is dirt coloured.emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

I think this is down to the 'new' design of the grill no longer being attached to the bonnet, consequently lots of road spray gets into the engine bay, it wouldn't be hard to add a rubber sealing strip at the front of the bonnet to stop this. :thumbup: (like earlier cars had)

Edited by Gizmo68

I think this is down to the 'new' design of the grill no longer being attached to the bonnet, consequently lots of road spray gets into the engine bay, it wouldn't b e hard to add a rubber sealing strip at the front of the bonnet to stop this. :thumbup:

Thanks. Mine is Candy white and looks perfect apart from the above mentioned dirt.

Mike

Thanks for prompt replies

Not sure if you've helped or made me panick even more there is defo no metallic flake in engine bay so is that in the laquer, as i always thought that was clear.

really looking for someone with same exterior colour to confirm this.

i would have thought that the metal at panel gaps should be exterior colour, it genuinely looks like they just sprayed straight across wing and bonnet and never ventured under it.

except returning to dealer where do i go from here car is only "GULP!!!" 13 days new!!!

Thanks for prompt replies

Not sure if you've helped or made me panick even more there is defo no metallic flake in engine bay so is that in the laquer, as i always thought that was clear.

really looking for someone with same exterior colour to confirm this.

i would have thought that the metal at panel gaps should be exterior colour, it genuinely looks like they just sprayed straight across wing and bonnet and never ventured under it.

except returning to dealer where do i go from here car is only "GULP!!!" 13 days new!!!

I'm not sure where you can go.

All new cars now that are metallic tend to be like this. And they have been for some time.

Flat paint in the engine bay and round the boot opening etc... shiney on the outside only.

It's not thought to be cost effective to properly paint the parts people don't see when you are driving about.

Hence the Yeti is red and the Fabia is white. Both non metallic as I'm not a fan of that finish for a £400 premium.

Hi,

just checked mine while light is good. Mt Yeti is also steel grey and the colour under the bonnet is steel grey as well but, very flat and dull, definately not lacquered. Checked inside the the boot / tailgate and paint here is the same, flattter colour with little metallic flake showing and no lacquer.

Del.

Am I not right in thinking that primer doesn't really give the metal the same protection against rust that a proper paint job gives?

But been to dealer and looked at there stock ,

Muscovado exterior matt black engine bay

Postman pat red exterior matt red engine bay

Looks like panic over but still happy to see all your responses,

On a different note noticed that Skoda have removed the engine bay soundproofing from the bonnet on the newer models, another cost cutting exercise?

snip

On a different note noticed that Skoda have removed the engine bay soundproofing from the bonnet on the newer models, another cost cutting exercise?

IIRC from an earlier thread it depends on the engine whether you get soundproofing or not. I think the 1.2TSI doesn't get any although my CR170 certainly has it.

Stewart

Have just popped my bonnet to top up washer fluids check oil and generally have a look after owning my beast for a couple of weeks now.

SHOCK HORROR my engine bay and under bonnet look like they are only painted in primer grey car is steel grey metallic!!!!

Now that i have had time to calm down i am not sure if it is primer or just a grey paint and wonder if this is just a cost cutting exercise by skoda.

wing paint stops on edge of wing that dissapears in to panel gap between wing and bonnet.

Going back to dealer next week anyway so have asked them to check other stock.

Can anyone clarifiy this to me?

CHEERS.

Advice is something you ask for only when you already know the costs involved are high!!!

Sounds like Skoda are really going cheapskate, my octavia was shiny grey in the engine compartment, I used to take great delight in showing my BMW owning friend this as hers was very matt finished!! I think in future Skoda cars will be cheaper but all the kit that is standard now will become optional extras, hence emphasizing the difference with VW models.

No...

Mike

As long as it's meant to b that colour no it doesn't matter,

but it still had me worried that it was possibly not right and was just wanting other peoples opinions and theories

Hi

Dont worry its just the same colour without lacquer , its a cost cutting method by all mfrs now plus its easier to match from a repair point of view , mine is a steel grey tdi elegance and it is exactly the same under the bonnet and on the inside of the engine bay flat grey.

Peter

I think this is down to the 'new' design of the grill no longer being attached to the bonnet, consequently lots of road spray gets into the engine bay, it wouldn't be hard to add a rubber sealing strip at the front of the bonnet to stop this. :thumbup: (like earlier cars had)

Does the RRP help or make no difference as regards road crud entering into the engine bay ?

It would make no difference IMO as the engine is already covered underneath but the main reason for all the muck entering is the omission of a rubber seal at the front of the bonnet (MY MKI Superb Comfort had one, but my MY11 Superb Elegance does not!)

Sadly the days of opening the bonnet to show off your carlos fandango twin webered double overhead cam mill (breathed on by Speedwell or Downton ) are long gone.The last daily driver I had which had a recognisable engine was at least 30 years ago. Not too much fun showing off some plastic shrouding and an ECU cover is it? .

Checked Kevin's heart (engine bay) out yesterday. All nicely resplendent in Tangerine metallic. :thumbup:

Also to mention I do have sound deadening to the underside of the bonnet; CR140 engine. Perhaps its the TSI engines that don't.

Also to mention I do have sound deadening to the underside of the bonnet; CR140 engine. Perhaps its the TSI engines that don't.

Thats right. All TDI's do. But maybe the greenline doesn't, to save weight and cut the CO2 & improve fuel economyemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike