Miles to a tank

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had the orange light come on at 370 - that's with the expansion tank filled! Mine is way down on MPG (for a Fabia Vrs) at about 37mpg average. It's booked into VAGtech in MK next Tuesday for diagnostics to see if there's anything amiss :(

Looking at my fuel economy spreadsheet, last year it ranged from 333-460 miles per tank. I normally fill up when the fuel warning light just comes on, normally after 350-400 miles (although after 460 miles it was very empty). I got between 44-57 mpg and over the year averaged 48.65mpg. Between April to July it was always 49mpg. :yes:

Can anyone tell me how to fill the expansion tank??

Push the pump's nossle towards the right when filling, theres a little pushy switching thing. usually you can hear some air hissing out once pressed. Does take some attempts to comeplety fill it. as the pump will keep cutting out.

Edited by WAZZAG

I have noticed also that I'm using a little bit more fuel over the winter about 30-40 miles less from a full tank including expansion tank . My fuel computer comes up 0 miles left in summer weather at around 480 miles covered but in winter its more like 450ish . Not really the end of the world lol

Right, I've just filled up from "range 5 miles" to full incl expansion tank. I got 57.73L of Shell V Derv @ 137.9ppl. Total cost £79.61

Range now says 620 miles. I know I can beat the range if iIm careful, 700 extremely boring miles from 1 tank may be possible!

Having come from a big thirsty V6 I have a very light foot most of the time, I manage about 500 out of a tankful.

Used to get 350 for £60 out of the V6

So my advice do as I did with the V6 learn to drive economically, there is an art to it.

please explain this art? lol

jordan

Right, I've just filled up from "range 5 miles" to full incl expansion tank. I got 57.73L of Shell V Derv @ 137.9ppl. Total cost £79.61

Range now says 620 miles. I know I can beat the range if iIm careful, 700 extremely boring miles from 1 tank may be possible!

no chance!! lol altho good luck lol :)

and dont rev over 2000rpm.

that´s your problem right there, the highest torque of the car (where is more economical) is above 2k, plus running such low rpm tends to clog the o2 sensor with black sud.

run the car above 2k all the time, it would be a good idea to run the engine with no load or gears above 3k for a couple of minutes to get the sud out. (helped a lot on my car)

For last year I clocked up 11.5k miles with an average of 46.1mpg - Using the "Road Trip" app for iPhone. Mixed driving gives me roughly 400 miles on a tank although I have been clocking as little as 350 miles recently. I'm blaming that on the weather!

The most I've ever recorded is 470 miles on a tank, but the previous year I managed to get from Derby to Edinburgh and back on a single tank, roughly 560 miles!

Is the sdi and vrs tank same size? If so its a bit worring that the vrs are getting better miles from a tank. I get about 450 miles from a tank which is 65mpg calculated.

Is the sdi and vrs tank same size? If so its a bit worring that the vrs are getting better miles from a tank. I get about 450 miles from a tank which is 65mpg calculated.

All Fabia's have the same size tank (9.9 gallon, IIRC)