Feedback of a Yeti as a towing car please.

bryanp

Hi all, have been toying for a while with the idea of buying a Yeti to tow my caravan with as a replacement for my 1.9TDi SuperB mk1, although after TopGear last night might be a bit of a longer wait! thanks Jeremy!

My SuperB is a brilliant tow car but the old girl is getting on a bit and has done a lot of milage so is starting to cost a bit to keep on the road.

The Yeti looks like a very capable towcar but some feedback or advice on which might be best to choose would be a great help, especially between 2WD compared to 4WD

Cheers All

I have a 140 bhp 4x4 diesel, and tow an Adria Altea 360, with a gross weight of 1050kg.

Hardly know it is there!! It is very easy to exceed the speed limit on the motorway.

Very stable with just the basic Alko stabiliser. I set the nose weight to just over Skoda's limit, so that allows for gas bottle to alter in use.

You do need a set of towing mirrors and the best are the type that clamp onto the top edge of the mirror body. I tried the ones with rubber bands and they didn't work.

Manouvering is easy but don't slip the clutch too much! It will push mine easily on tick over.

I tow happily with My F/W drive 110 hp Yeti 110 hp with 85% match if van loaded to max which it never is, as there is just me and swmbo I remove the seats and put most of the gear in the Yeti which is great when having a quick overnight stop. Different models have different max tow weights. The Yeti always arouses interest on sites , Have given test drives and made many friends on sites after meeting to discuss the Yeti. All in all a very good towing experience with the Yeti., if this will continue with the ever increasing fuel costs is another matter!!!!!

Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDI 170 4X4 Elegance and tow a Abbey Freestyle 520L. This is an 'own brand' from Lowdams. It's a 4 berth L shape front end. Max weight 1407 Kg.

Yeti tows like a dream and on one occasion got 28-30 mpg! The car is so comfortable to drive my Wife has to keep reminding me to stop. I have found that because there is such a short distance between the rear axle and the tow ball stability is very good even on motorways when passed by large vehicles.

So, :thumbup:

Chris.

Have towed 2010 (8 trips) with 4X4 140CRD engine without incident and so smoothly. Consumption around 32 mpg towing although this is VERY dependant on driving style. Van has max weight of 1150kg so don't even know it is there.!!

Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDI 170 4X4 Elegance and tow a Abbey Freestyle 520L. This is an 'own brand' from Lowdams. It's a 4 berth L shape front end. Max weight 1407 Kg.

Yeti tows like a dream and on one occasion got 28-30 mpg! The car is so comfortable to drive my Wife has to keep reminding me to stop. I have found that because there is such a short distance between the rear axle and the tow ball stability is very good even on motorways when passed by large vehicles.

So, :thumbup:

Chris.

Cheers, We have an 2006 Abbey Aventura 325L, so basically the same caravan as yourselves even down to the weight, was truthfully looking at a 2WD as I'm quessing greater running cost's, ie 4WD tax and more wear and tear, ie tyres, how do you think the two would compare?

Edited by bryanp

Cheers, We have an 2006 Abbey Aventura 325L, so basically the same caravan as yourselves even down to the weight, was truthfully looking at a 2WD as I'm quessing greater running cost's, ie 4WD tax and more wear and tear, ie tyres, how do you think the two would compare?

With the 140 4x4 I can easily average the top 40's without the caravan and the did the low 30's towing from here to Cornwall in October, which is probably marginally worse than a 2wd. I doubt that tyre wear would be any different as the rear axle only gets drive when it is required (automatically) and the tax is low which ever you have! Certainly having the 4x4 would be very beneficial getting off wet and muddy pitches.

And please, there is NO such thing as 4x4 Tax. This was something that was spouted by the anti 4x4 Brigade, and means nothing.

Hi bryanp,

I can only guess, but, my last 3 cars have all been 4X4, 2 Octys and now the Yeti. From what I remember of 2 wheel drive they are marginally more prone to being a little unsteady when being passed by white van man or an HGV on steroids. the reduced overhang of the tow ball behind the rear axle may well offset this. Which model were you looking at? TBH the Aventura/ Freestyle is quite a heavy van at 1407 Kg gross. I took the view, right or wrong that the Yeti with a gross trailer weight of 2000Kg was a better bet. As far as increased running costs are concerned, again I think it will be marginal and more influenced by your everyday driving rather than a few trips with the caravan.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

I only tow a sailing dinghy at under 300Kg inc trailer but yeti has no trouble at all with that.

If going for a new yeti I would get the tow bar prep as it includes the wiring loom, software updates and the bumper with a hatch in it.

:)

Edited by fuzzybunny

I only tow a sailing dinghy at under 300Kg inc trailer but yeti has no trouble at all with that.

If going for a new yeti I would get the tow bar prep as it includes the wiring loom, software updates and the bumper with a hatch in it.

emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Numerous threads on here (including the Superb forum) stating that the factory towbar prep is all but useless. I did not have this and Allams fitted everything including the bumper hatch. Everything done from scratch with no grey area as to what was included or not included from the factory as no-one seems to know exactly what is what. So I never added the factory towbar prep to my car, not even when I changed my order with a few things...

Numerous threads on here (including the Superb forum) stating that the factory towbar prep is all but useless. I did not have this and Allams fitted everything including the bumper hatch. Everything done from scratch with no grey area as to what was included or not included from the factory as no-one seems to know exactly what is what. So I never added the factory towbar prep to my car, not even when I changed my order with a few things...

Hi,

As far as I can work out the tow bar prep is a loom that allows the can bus to recognize the trailer and supply the correct light feeds and the different bumper molding. The garage installs the tow bar and wires the permanent live and the switched live for the habitation relay in the caravan. I am now on my 3rd tow car and when ordered I ask for full caravan electrics and that is what I get. Basically that is what you get for your for £130.00 tow bar prep.

Chris.

Edited by chriskelland

I did get the towbar prep - my Skoda (Westphalia) detachable with single electrics was £540 fitted by my dealers (+ towbar prep of £155 IIRC) :thumbup:

I think that was a fair price?

Cheaper options are available but I wanted Skoda/dealer backup.

I did get the towbar prep - my Skoda (Westphalia) detachable with single electrics was £540 fitted by my dealers (+ towbar prep of £155 IIRC) emoticon-0148-yes.gif

That is a fair price yes. In London you won't get that alas. Mine was sans towbar prep and the full fat Westfalia detachable towbar, including software upgrade and 13pin electrics was £834 from Allams. Blame five hours labour at London rates! (But Škoda UK paid £550 of that for me due their incompetence elsewhere!)

Just to add my 2p's worth, I tow a Baily Pegasus with the Yeti and it's great. First time Caravaning and Towing and been through all weathers including absolutely torential rain, when I was very happy to have the 4x4 version. Don't know if it made any difference, but it made me fell more comfortable. As mentioned elsewhere, I get mid to high 40's normally and around 30 towing.

I did get the towbar prep - my Skoda (Westphalia) detachable with single electrics was £540 fitted by my dealers (+ towbar prep of £155 IIRC) :thumbup:

We paid £596 for single electrics and a Skoda detachable tow bar from a dealer WITHOUT tow bar prep.