oil's not well

lee67

following on from my previous posts regarding oil usage in my 1.2 tsi' well yet again she'sbeen back to the dealer today with the oil can flashing( 3 times now)...and yep, oil at bottom of dipstick, !!!!...its been filled 3 times now, and in 6000 miles has burned off said amounts each time, car was run in per manual( 4th new car in a row and other 3 didnt use a drop in 130000 miles!!)...mech couldnt find no leaks and even suggested its normal for this car to use 1litre every 1000 miles :no: ......after 30 mins of me arguing it ISNT NORMAL..they refilled and sent me on my way, whats everyones views? as after driving for 26 yrs i know it aint normal...after all my posts singing praises about the yeti' im starting to feel a little peeved!!.. :thumbdown:

following on from my previous posts regarding oil usage in my 1.2 tsi' well yet again she'sbeen back to the dealer today with the oil can flashing( 3 times now)...and yep, oil at bottom of dipstick, !!!!...its been filled 3 times now, and in 6000 miles has burned off said amounts each time, car was run in per manual( 4th new car in a row and other 3 didnt use a drop in 130000 miles!!)...mech couldnt find no leaks and even suggested its normal for this car to use 1litre every 1000 miles :no: ......after 30 mins of me arguing it ISNT NORMAL..they refilled and sent me on my way, whats everyones views? as after driving for 26 yrs i know it aint normal...after all my posts singing praises about the yeti' im starting to feel a little peeved!!.. :thumbdown:

Hi lee

thats not good my 1.2 has only had about 300ml in 10000 Miles which i put in to bring it up to the full mark before we came up to take part in the heartbeat run. i have not added any since then and its still on the full mark.

i would insist they looked into it more

Edited by wakev

Hi Lee,

very emoticon-0106-crying.gif to hear your still having oil consumption issues.

Anyway for starters the handbook actually states 0.5 litres per 1000Km (621 miles), although it does suggest in the first 5000Km (3100 miles) this may be slightly higher.

Personally I don't think it's sounds quite right that amount of oil usage, even on a relatively new engine and probably close to the acceptable limit. Have you spoken to those call centre technicians who can't drive down at SUK, might be worth getting them involved. Would also suggest you follow the handbook if she does it again and call out Skoda Assist (time consuming but strengthens case).

Also had a poke round the parts 'book' which shows there has been one or two changes to oil system related parts for this engine since yours was built; makes you :wonder: why.

Oh a Fabia but no oil consumption thus far on our 1.2TSI 85 with 3700 miles done.

Regards,

TP

cheers tim, i was aware the handbook stated as such'.. just doesnt seem right after having skoda's before and other new cars that didnt use a drop between servicing..i will defo be keeping an eye on this, and hope that it will settle down anytime soon....i might get lucky and it manages to make its first 10,000 mile service lol :D

We got our 1.2 the same week as lee67 from memory, and following his earlier problems with oil consumption I have been watching our oil level carefully, but after nearly 3000 miles it has not used any. Makes you wonder if there is a problem with his that hasn't been found yet.

I wonder if the people who have 1.2 engines that didn't drink oil actually stuck to the 'running in' procedure for the first 1000 miles....

If the original poster stuck to the Skoda running-in procedure religiously and his Yeti is drinking oil, then perhaps the procedure is at fault.

I read some time ago that the car manufacturers procedures for running in a new engine were leading to engines that burnt oil because the seals were not properly bedded in.

The piece I read from an engine mechanic suggested the following running-in procedure:-

1. drive the car until the engine warms up (water and oil)

2. drive the car as hard as you can in acceleration and deceleration (engine braking)

eg, find a steep hill: accelerate up the hill with maximum load on the engine and engine brake down it and repeat three times.

3. drive straight back to the garage and change the oil whilst still hot for more normal oil

I understood this procedure was best done within the first 20 miles of engine life.

Synthetic oil was best not used until at least 500 miles usage.

Could it be that the non-oil-thirsty Yeti 1.2 owners were harder drivers and thus had better sealed engines?

My 1.2 did not (up to now) drink oil.

In the first 300 km I never went over 4000 rpm, but after I did some accelerations till 5500 rpm, let's say 1-2 times a week.

Now, after 11000 km I go -sometimes- up to 6000 rpm (just below the redline).

I think motors have to be trained even hard, but not in the early life.

I made this on my previous cars and they worked fine but, as it is well known, a lot depends on luckiness...

Even if there is no problem anyone admits to, no-one wants to get the car that uses the maximum amount of oil possible according to the the manual. If it were mine I would tell the dealer that I was not prepared to accept this is normal, and insist it be escalated to Skoda, and a formal response provided in writing. I don't know if this would work in your case - I took this approach on my last two cars, with VW and Land Rover respectively. In both cases there were faults which, it could be argued (and was being argued), were just about within 'normal' limits, and in both cases the faults got sorted, after a bit of standing firm. On my Golf it was noisy power steering, and on the Landy a noisy transfer box. In the case of the engine using so much oil, the solution isn't necessarily so simple as changing a component, but that should not affect the principle IMO.

All that said, I had a Mk4 Golf estate, admittedly diesel, that used comparable amounts - enough that it was very costly with the grade of oil needed. It was a company car, so I was able to claim back the cost. But that car did more than 80,000 miles for me in two years before it was moved on, very reliably, and with good fuel consumption too.

But if you are unhappy, and I would be if it did not show signs of reducing pretty quickly, I do hope you get it sorted.

running in??

i thought that was a thing of the past with cars.

i always ask the dealer when collecting a new car, and for the last few have always been told " no running in necessary, just drive it as normal, using all the gears and don't let the engine labour".

so that's exactly what i've done.

not had any oil usage issues either.

in contrast with my bike, the running in period was torture...

1st 100 miles at below 3000 rpm (=60mph) , next 100 at below 4000rpm, 200 - 300 miles at below 5500 rpm then on to 500 mile 1st service keeping below 6000rpm.

that would take the bike well above 70mph but still couldn't wait to feel the full power

running in :wonder: i did not follow any just drove it as i would normally as i have done with my last 4 new cars none of which used any oil between services.

My 1.2 hasn't used any oil in 8000 miles. Varied the revs when on long journeys during the running in period but no thrashing or early oil changes required. You have often mentioned excellent fuel economy from your Yeti Lee and so would it be fair to say that you were driving very gently from the start? Possible source of problem if so but unless the manual tells you otherwise it's not your fault. Hope that Skoda keep you a happy driver as advertised.

I had a similar experience to you in the very beginning (less than 3000 miles) and I drove normally, below 3000 rpm and never exceeded 70 mph. I noticed there was some loss of oil and promptly took it back to the dealer for a fill up.

Then I thought, since the car has already done 3000 miles, it is more or less run in and I decided to give the "bore in" of the cylinder a go, so I drove my car normally for 20 miles for the engine and oil to properly warm up then I drove it to 5500 rpm (I can't remeber but it was just below the red line) for 2-3 times, since then (now done 6000 miles) it hasn't used any extra oil.

I also always let the car stand for 30 second to 1 minute before I turn it off on long journeys, ie on the motorway to let the oil cool down.

It's sounds like a lot of oil to me. I've been keeping an eye on our Yeti's engine as I've heard VW engine have a bit of a reputation for using oil early on (and the Caddy vans we use at work even came with a litre of oil from the factory).

Our Yeti used about 300ml in the first 10,000 miles - and hasn't used a drop since it's service.

The Wife was told to run the car in gently - however on the way home from the dealer once she knew where we were, went flying past me on the motorway. When we got home I mentioned this and got the response; "I never went above 4000rpm....." :doh:

I have always found that my VWs have used oil (around 2 litres) up to the first service and settled down.

I had always thought that 0.5l per 600 miles was an extremely high oil consumption to be considered as "Normal". My cars normally get to 18,000 miles between variable services which would be 15litres of oil.

If you happen to be unlucky enough to be running an ongoing oil change you have got to consider using non synthetic oil.

The 1.2 TSI can rev up to about 6000 well below the red line.

So, IMHO if you go at 4000 you are at 2/3 of the maximum and the motor is not stressed.

For years, cars' manuals stated that 2/3 or 3/4 of the maximum rev. speed can be maintained quite undefinetely.

Although the maximum torque is from 1500 rpm (sincerely I am quite doubtful about it) I prefer going always over 2200...

sounds like it needs gently warming up...cruising at a sedate 45mph for an hour or 2.....

then thrash the bejeezus out of it for 2 days straight.

if there aint no oil in any of your other fluids then it can only be coming out of breather or being burned after passing through the rings. Giving the engine a good thrashing will allow internals to decarbonise and settle.

engine was run in per manual..no labouring in any gear and taken upto 4000 revs every now and then, since 1000 miles it has often seen 5000+ rpm's...so has had a good thrash ,i will see what happens after its 10,000 mile service and if still using i will defo be seeking further advice, just annoying as no car or bike has ever used oil like this;....and i do really love this car :wonder:

Just checked MY 1.2 Tsi DSG Sept 2010 registered. Run in by normal driving below 3000 revs but gradually increasing revs after 600 miles with no 'flooring it' to bed in the pistons as sometimes recommended. Generally a very steady driver. Only done 2000 miles so far.

Assuming the car was delivered with oil at max mark (I think it was) only reguired 0.25 litres

Castrol Edge 5-30w to regain the maximum level, so this appears pretty normal to me.

Edited by kibby

Sounds disappointing to me. I have done just a bit over 2000Km and no sign of any oil being used at all.

I'm surprised that different cars with the same engine could use different amounts of oil: with the technical standards used in production these days, you'd think that there would be a uniformity wouldn't you? You could understand it if someone just disregarded the advice of how to run the engine in, but otherwise?