Should I change wheels?

Now been a whole week since I ordered my new V6 :p .

Son came home from uni for the weekend (free meal and give me cash type visit), showed him pics of new Superb (well Red Dogs but same as mine :rofl: ) only problem is he then looks a brochure and says that the Themisto look much better then the Luna's!

Liked Luna's shape and also ease of cleaning but must admit Themisto do look good :o .

I can still change option but should I?

My other worry is if I am second guessing after 1 week what will I be like after a couple of months?

My brother has the Thermistos on his Superb estate and they're beautiful wheels. I often think he should give them to me for my Octavia :giggle:

The diamond cut effect really adds a premium feel to them. I am not sure if the Lunas are diamond cut.

Now been a whole week since I ordered my new V6 :p .

Son came home from uni for the weekend (free meal and give me cash type visit), showed him pics of new Superb (well Red Dogs but same as mine :rofl: ) only problem is he then looks a brochure and says that the Themisto look much better then the Luna's!

Liked Luna's shape and also ease of cleaning but must admit Themisto do look good :o .

My other worry is if I am second guessing after 1 week what will I be like after a couple of months?

I ordered my superb with Luna wheels because I made my mind up that I liked them in preference to the Themisto's. No one would change my mind. It is not clear from the above who's car it is and who's mind needs to be made up.

The diamond cut effect really adds a premium feel to them. I am not sure if the Lunas are diamond cut.

No the Luna's are not diamond cut, but personally I prefer them (which is why I spec'd them)

[ It is not clear from the above who's car it is and who's mind needs to be made up.

It's my car B) , sure my 21year old son would love it, as would the insurance co :( still cost of him on insurance would make you forget fuel costs.

The problem is I like both styles, Luna's look a more clean design (and an easy one too clean) and should look great with the black paint BUT the Themisto have an elegance ( dam keep trying to avoid the word superb when talking about the car & now using elegance :doh: ) and have an Audi RS wheel look about them.

Life would have been easy if the Luna wheels were £500 extra as I read somewhere but same price adds to dilema.

09.jpg

Themisto for me. All the reports of the Lunas not being up to the job swayed me.

At the end of the day the choice is down to the individual.

Phil

Themisto all the way. Why? cleaning: 5 secs per wheel per wash saved with Luna rims. Elegance of themisto.......the life time of the car!! There is no comparison.

Edited by spaz74

Check in forum on reports of problems with the Luna wheels, then decide.

I have had Thermisto's on all my Superbs they look better, have more solid wheel material and are no harder to clean. There are many brushes, mitts etc. which will cause no damage.

Sorry but anyone who thinks a wheel with 14 spokes that are fairly close together (Thermisto) is no harder to clean than a wide open 6 spoke wheel (Luna) is clearly talking out of their :moon:

They may not be very difficult to clean but are certainly harder, surely the whole point of giving someone a no cost option is so people can personalise their car to THEIR own taste?

Oh dear, it's looking like an email maybe heading towards James's inbox to change to Themistos :giggle: .

Do have concerns about repairs to polished alloys like Themistos, my wife has polished alloys on her 500, unmarked up to now :p but one slight laps and :swear: then :@ followed by :'( .

Shame that the Luxons are not available, but I guess if I can't decide between 2 then 3 would be a nightmare!

Whilst I like the Thermisto wheels, they need constant maintenance. The laquer has gone on all of mine from stone chips and its slowly delaminating around the wheel. The thermistos are simply the metal coated in laquer, give me painted wheels any day.

Whilst I like the Thermisto wheels, they need constant maintenance. The laquer has gone on all of mine from stone chips and its slowly delaminating around the wheel. The thermistos are simply the metal coated in laquer, give me painted wheels any day.

Good point about the laquered finish. I have Luna wheels on my Superb and the painted finish is very good (and quite thick) ... I know that because I clipped a kerb in a multi-story and only a tiny round circle of paint came off leaving a pronounced step which I managed to fill in with the slver touch up paint from my wifes old Fabia estate.. (A very good match by the way!!)

I have had the misfortune of going through some savage potholes and I have kept a close eye on my Luna's for any damage and found none, although when I got new tyres a couple of weeks ago they all took on quite a few extra balancing weights!!

The polished effect of the Thermisto's on a sunny summer's day look awesome, no doubt about it, even more so on a black or dark car.

However the polished effect is a weak point in terms of longevity.

Just look at the VW Passat S and SE polished alloys, I see so many that have delaminated, your eyes are drawn to the belishes which kind of defeats the object of the polished effect.

My Scout too has polished spoke faces. A quick search on the Octavia forum will reveal planty of dissatisfied owners upset at how vulnerable they are. I've had four replaced under warranty for delamination and almost a year later all four are again showing signs of going the same way.

The Luna's may loose some of the bling but will look better for longer...

...or at least they should. There are a few threads where Luna owners have expressed concerns about their strength and how easily they buckle.

So, there a pro and cons for both.

Alloy wheels for me make or break a car so at the end of the day go for the ones you prefer the look of!

I notice you too are struggling with wheels. I ordered Thermistos and then changed to Luna, now I am having second thoughts on that. My wife chose the Luna as easier to clean but I do think the Thermisto adds a bit of bling. Hope James does not see this, he will be wondering what I will change next.

Up until four weeks before your car gets built you can change your order. I changed my car's colour, added a DSG gearbox and an electric seat! So just chaning wheels is not a problem.

My advice is keep a list of changes and just let James know a week or so before this cut off date. No point changing things every week! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif Unless of course you will be adding things that will prolong the order...

Up until four weeks before your car gets built you can change your order. I changed my car's colour, added a DSG gearbox and an electric seat! So just chaning wheels is not a problem.

My advice is keep a list of changes and just let James know a week or so before this cut off date. No point changing things every week! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif Unless of course you will be adding things that will prolong the order...

It's strange, I am normally very decisive about cars, do my research first then into dealer place order, job done. But this Superb has been tricky, limited colours forced me to choose black (wanted a gun metal grey but none available & while I like silver (always looks clean and does not show swirl marks like black) I think it looks wrong on Superb as it's so long)

Need to find a garage with two Superbs one with Luna the other Themistos. Don't want to keep bugging James as very happy with rest of spec just wheels need sorting due to my indecision.

I've seen two parked adjacent, one with Lunas and the other with Themistos (mine). Trying to be as unbiased as possible (and knowing what it takes to keep the Themistos clean), I'd still have them over the Lunas because the car looks so much better. I suggested that we have Lunas when buying, because of the cleaning, but my wife persuaded me to stick to the Themistos and now I'm so glad I did. :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

I've seen two parked adjacent, one with Lunas and the other with Themistos (mine). Trying to be as unbiased as possible (and knowing what it takes to keep the Themistos clean), I'd still have them over the Lunas because the car looks so much better. I suggested that we have Lunas when buying, because of the cleaning, but my wife persuaded me to stick to the Themistos and now I'm so glad I did. :)

Ray

Thanks Ray, yes I agree, will go with the Themistos :rofl: but will curse you and the other Themisto fans every time I have to clean them :devil: but :love: you when they are clean and shiny.

Thanks Ray, yes I agree, will go with the Themistos :rofl: but will curse you and the other Themisto fans every time I have to clean them :devil: but :love: you when they are clean and shiny.

When it's new put some Gtechniq C5 on the wheels. It's supposed to last about 12 months and there are reviews after nine months with it still working very well. Makes cleaning a much easier job.

It should also help to protect the lacquer too.

C5 Wheel Armour

Cheers

Steve

My car is approx 9 weeks from build (as long as the advisory bw doesn't change) and I've been told that the order is closed with no changes unless I accept a new bw and end up being pushed to back of queue. As I ordered before vat rise, this would also mean I'd have to pay the increased VAT.

So my advice would be to choose spec and colours carefully as you may not be able to amend these once the order has been placed.