Test Drive - Left A Little Underwhelmed

TopDrawer

Hello guys - first post here, but have been devouring info about the Yeti as its on my (very) shortlist to replace my current Golf Plus (Yeti or another Golf Plus). Took a test drive on Saturday - Startin at Powick gave us the keys for an hour and off we went with high expectations. I have to say that I came away somewhat underwhelmed and now I'm in two minds. We had an Elegance diesel 4 x 4, not sure which one but as I want a 1.4 SE petrol, it wasn't important. My main beef with the Golf is that its quite noisy (1.6 petrol) and having read great things about the silent Yeti, I was surprised by the amount of wind noise - we did a short motorway run ay 70mph and it was quite intrusive. Other things I didn't like were the small wing mirrors which didn't show enough and bizarrely, the central computer matrix was leaning noticably to the left! The wing mirror control was very flimsy. It was fitted with a sat-nav which was horribly plastic - even the dealer apologised for it - but I'd just have the standard touch screen radio anyway. The seats on the other hand were excellent - far better and bigger than the Golf's. Are the Elegance seats the same as the SE's but with leather? Has anyone views on the wind noise issue? Is it the roof bars? Can they be removed? Dealer was quoting 13 weeks delivery, but VW's are similar, so I'm in a quandry!

It was blowing a gale in the NE on Saturday, was it not a bit breezy in your part of the world? Could explain if there was excessive noise. I have driven a range of cars and I think that the Yeti sits very favourably in terms of wind and road noise. Sometimes people are a little extravagant on their claims which mean you then have higher expectations than is realistic. I had a Seat Toledo that gave a whine off the wing mirrors, the Yeti has nothing specific like that and I think it is more than acceptable.

Wing mirror controls - mine is solid, works well and the mirror itself is big enough for me but that comes down to each persons individual preference. There is no point in me saying it is fine if it simply is not big enough for you.

Sometimes a car just doesn't click for you, it may have been abused by the car salesmen at weekends for example and it leaves you feeling flat about it. I once drove a Mazda 6 after it was getting lauded by all the motoring press. I thought it was horrible. Just not for me. You can't win them all.

Quietness is subjective. Compared to my old BMW e39 the Yeti is not quiet. Compared to my VW Polo my Yeti is quiet. Compared to my Octavia my Yeti is quiet. The roof bars don't make the wind noise, but as your are aware the Yeti is very brick like. There is not as much road noise as my Octavia. There will be more sound proofing in a Golf.

I personally have the Columbus Sat Nav and think it is brilliant & not plasticy. Can't comment on the Maxidot computer leaning.

The wing mirror aren't small, just a different shape. I've not had a problem like some with the blind spots, but I've set them so that I can barely see the side of the car.

The wing mirror control is a standard part used my many Skoda's and possibly VW.

The seats are superb for me. 8 hours driving in a 10 hour period, and felt fine at the end for the journey.

Can't comment on shape of seats, only driven elegances. The elegance can be spec'd with an electric seat which is brilliant.

And yes, petrols are coming through much quicker than diesels.

Mike

Hello guys - first post here, but have been devouring info about the Yeti as its on my (very) shortlist to replace my current Golf Plus (Yeti or another Golf Plus). Took a test drive on Saturday - Startin at Powick gave us the keys for an hour and off we went with high expectations. I have to say that I came away somewhat underwhelmed and now I'm in two minds. We had an Elegance diesel 4 x 4, not sure which one but as I want a 1.4 SE petrol, it wasn't important. My main beef with the Golf is that its quite noisy (1.6 petrol) and having read great things about the silent Yeti, I was surprised by the amount of wind noise - we did a short motorway run ay 70mph and it was quite intrusive. Other things I didn't like were the small wing mirrors which didn't show enough and bizarrely, the central computer matrix was leaning noticably to the left! The wing mirror control was very flimsy. It was fitted with a sat-nav which was horribly plastic - even the dealer apologised for it - but I'd just have the standard touch screen radio anyway. The seats on the other hand were excellent - far better and bigger than the Golf's. Are the Elegance seats the same as the SE's but with leather? Has anyone views on the wind noise issue? Is it the roof bars? Can they be removed? Dealer was quoting 13 weeks delivery, but VW's are similar, so I'm in a quandry!

Definitely go and drive another one somewhere. When I was not sure about the colour of my Yeti I went to see the only Aqua Blue one for sale in London. Had that been my first car I sat in I would have thought much like you above. It was an S spec and with bendy black platic door handles inside, no silver, no armrest and all in just a bit low rent. But sitting in an SE or Elegance this was fine as the materials are different. But all in it sounds as if this demo you had was a bit over-used! :yes: So go and try another one (on a less windy day) before you decide! We might be a bit baised on this forum but so many of us can't really be wrong!

Can't say I've ever thought of our Yeti's door mirrors as small, rather I'd say they were pretty big. The control is standard VW parts bin issue, so it's fitted to VW's Skoda's and Audi's.

As for wind noise, how audible it is obviously depends on weather conditions, road noise and engine, but to be honest, I'd say it was pretty average. It's quieter than my Octavia, but you'd never think you were in a Jaguar.

The thing with the Yeti is the completeness of the package. It isn't necessarily the best in its class in any one area, but it's close to the top in most and that's what makes it a winner. It is however, a different car to a Golf Plus so it's not a direct comparison even in the same price range.

It's also good for those that want to open a mobile tattoo parlor or who own a helicopter and want somewhere to land it :rofl:

Can't say I've ever thought of our Yeti's door mirrors as small, rather I'd say they were pretty big. The control is standard VW parts bin issue, so it's fitted to VW's Skoda's and Audi's.

As for wind noise, how audible it is obviously depends on weather conditions, road noise and engine, but to be honest, I'd say it was pretty average. It's quieter than my Octavia, but you'd never think you were in a Jaguar.

The thing with the Yeti is the completeness of the package. It isn't necessarily the best in its class in any one area, but it's close to the top in most and that's what makes it a winner. It is however, a different car to a Golf Plus so it's not a direct comparison even in the same price range.

It's also good for those that want to open a mobile tattoo parlor or who own a helicopter and want somewhere to land it :rofl:

Not forgetting the odd fully kitted Fire Brigade passing through :giggle:

Anyone going to a Yeti from another car could find it a huge step-up in solidity, quality etc. However going from a Golf Plus or a Golf V/V1 could be a very difficult decision to make... :wonder:

Anyone going to a Yeti from another car could find it a huge step-up in solidity, quality etc. However going from a Golf Plus or a Golf V/V1 could be a very difficult decision to make... :wonder:

Why? I know of three people on this forum that trade up to a Yeti from an Audi A5, an Audi Q5 and another from a current shape TT... If they can do that and still not feel short changed I doubt someone coming from a Golf will.

Why? I know of three people on this forum that trade up to a Yeti from an Audi A5, an Audi Q5 and another from a current shape TT... If they can do that and still not feel short changed I doubt someone coming from a Golf will.

Yes - I changed from a Golf 4Motion to my Octy Scout and was not aware of feeling that I had downgraded in any sense. In fact, I find it a much more comfortable car and at least as well put-together as the VW. I'm expecting the SM to be even betteer!

I considered a Golfplus several years ago.One of the things that put me off was its much greater depreciation compared with the "normal" Golf. I'm sure it would be the same when compared with the Yeti... :smirk:

Edited by bilun777

I came from a Golf Mk5, and have never regretted the change. Mine is diesel, but I don't notice any great noise, wind or any other. But I do not have bars fitted to the roof rails, so perhaps that's the problem. I don't know what that Satnav was - certainly not the Columbus, I don't think anyone could describe that as 'horribly plasticy'. I am puzzled by the description of the wing mirrors as small, and the adjustment as flimsy - all \i can say is that that is not my feeling at all.

The matrix display was obviously faulty - the dealer should not give you a faulty car to test drive IMO.

Impressions are all subjective, its true. Everyone has their own priorities, measures, and tolerance levels, so it is up to individuals to make their choices based on their own particular needs.

Edited by roguebrit

I have to say there are a couple of areas where the Yeti doesn't compare well to my last car. The tailgate is a bit tinny, the bonnet support likewise, there is no passenger visible clock and the cupholders are pretty useless. That said these are all pretty minor (& my last car had a sticker price of £30k not £20k so the comparison is not really fair). In all things that matter most to me - how it drives, its comfort, its refinement, its practicality and its looks - it is a winner. So much so in fact that my Mrs & I are regularly fighting for who gets to drive! I don't have a Satnav so can't comment on that but the points about wind noise & wing mirrors don't strike a chord here.

What are the chances of the Amundsen being fitted to the demo Yeti? That looks a little plastiky compared to the Columbus.

The standard Bolero looks more like the Columbus than the Amundsen - which is a good thing.

Amundsen

AAN800002.jpg

Columbus

AAN800001A.jpg

The wind noise is what I would describe as 'acceptable' - not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as the Octavia, all depends on what car you've come from.

The mirror control has always been solid on my last three Skodas and as already mentioned is a generic part across the VAG empire.

I would emplore you to take another for a test drive, you appear to have found one of the very few duffers out there. You never know, it might have been rejected by someone due to the problems you mention.

The wife absolutely loves her Yeti and the (few) times I have driven it have always been great, and my daily drive is a Superb Estate.

I've had my Yeti about a month now, having traded a Volvo V50, and prior to that having an Audi A4 Avant.

All cars have their idiosyncracies, strengths and weaknesses. Some of these will be revealed by a brief test drive, others emerge when living with the car. Coming to your specifics.

Clearly something was wrong with the test car's MFD - you can assume it will be fine in a new car. I don't have the Skoda sat nav. Why pay for that as OE when you can hard wire in a superior Tom Tom for a fraction of the price?

The door mirrors are not so small. However I found them odd and difficult to use at first, I think because of the Yeti's high seat position compared to my previous cars. I have now found the optimum position and got used to them, and the visibility is fine. I still find it a little irritating, however, that if I adjust the drivers side mirror, the passenger side also moves so I have to readjust that. The toggle is flimsy, I agree, but I recently hired a brand new Golf when on holiday, and it is identically equipped (and has the same problem about the drivers side adjustment shifting both). Indeed, the Golf is the source of an awful lot of the switchgear, trim etc (the Bolero, the MFD, the sun blinds, the air vents and more).

Noise at speed is a major issue to me. At least twice a year I drive the best part of 1800 miles return across France on the autoroutes at 80mph. The Yeti's engine is quieter than the Volvo (2.0 diesel - a Peugeot unit I believe) or my old Audi (which had the 2.0 diesel PD unit rather than the new CR). Perhaps this makes wind noise more noticeable, but I can't say I have found it at all intrusive.

Each to their own, but the Golf Plus was never on my radar as an alternative!

Thanks for all your helpful replies. It seems I should take another test drive! Unfortunately my other nearest dealer didn't acquit himself too well in response to my opening phone call - "1.4 Sir? No such thing, they only do a 1.2 or a 1.8 ...". Still, at least I managed to speak to him, which is more than I've been able to do at VW - three unreturned messages, and having eventually spoken to a salesman, an unfulfilled promise to get back to me with delivery dates. No wonder the online brokers are so attractive - I had the same experience when I bought the Golf Plus - I went through Drive the Deal eventually. The satnav wasn't like any Skoda or VAG item, goodness knows why it was there.

Yes it was very windy on Saturday, but this was a constant wind rush - conceivably one of the offside doorseals could have been faulty although it sounded more remote than that. There were no cross bars only the factory fit bars.

The noise and the mirrors were my main concern - I'll try and get another test drive and report back.

Thanks for all your helpful replies. It seems I should take another test drive! Unfortunately my other nearest dealer didn't acquit himself too well in response to my opening phone call - "1.4 Sir? No such thing, they only do a 1.2 or a 1.8 ...". Still, at least I managed to speak to him, which is more than I've been able to do at VW - three unreturned messages, and having eventually spoken to a salesman, an unfulfilled promise to get back to me with delivery dates. No wonder the online brokers are so attractive - I had the same experience when I bought the Golf Plus - I went through Drive the Deal eventually. The satnav wasn't like any Skoda or VAG item, goodness knows why it was there.

Yes it was very windy on Saturday, but this was a constant wind rush - conceivably one of the offside doorseals could have been faulty although it sounded more remote than that. There were no cross bars only the factory fit bars.

The noise and the mirrors were my main concern - I'll try and get another test drive and report back.

Kenwood now makes a horrid aftermarket sat nav that I've seen on Allams Skoda's website that talks to the car's systems. Maybe that is what you had seen.

http://www.amsparts.co.uk/product/Kenwood_Multi_-_Media_Unit_DNX_520VBT_ZGB000035520

1284559868_sat%20nav%20system_w450_h400.jpg

We've had some very strong winds the last few days. My Yeti has been more stable in cross winds than any other car I can remember.General wind noise no problem. If I had to really Nitpick,the external mirrors could be a little larger in the top corner,and the adjustment knob is a little loose,but as others have said "They all do that sir"..... :giggle:

Kenwood now makes a horrid aftermarket sat nav that I've seen on Allams Skoda's website that talks to the car's systems. Maybe that is what you had seen.

http://www.amsparts.co.uk/product/Kenwood_Multi_-_Media_Unit_DNX_520VBT_ZGB000035520

Hard to believe but it was uglier than that - had a large backlit dial offset to the left which would have broken in an instant and, seemingly, no way to access any radio!

I'm in Herefordshire.

Edited by TopDrawer

Hi Newbie,

Thought I'd chip in as my choice was also between the Golf Plus and the Yeti - only two options in mind after loads of research and test driving. My head said Golf my heart said Yeti but in the end it was a no brainer for me simply for the following reasons:

1. Price. I looked at used Golf Plus' and ex demo Yeti's and for a similar spec Golf (albeit a 1.2 Yeti v a 1.4 Golf) the price gap ran into thousands. I got a low mileage Elegance from SMC in Exeter (who were great by the way). A much higher milage Golf Plus was at least 2 grand more.

Have you had a look for an ex demo here? http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/Results.aspx No 1.4's but 1.2's from around £14K.

2. Looks. I fell in love with the Yeti and still think its one of the best looking cars out there. I prefer the Golf Plus to the Golf but doesn't come close to Yeti in my humble opinion. Nice to be different.

3. Driving position. Golf Plus is quite high for a 'normal' car but the room up front in the Yeti is immense. I'm 6'4 so needed something spacious and Yeti has it in spades and love the view of the road you get from the few extra inches.

On the downside, I'm not convinced by the back seat space in the Yeti. We have a 3 week old baby so that's fine but if you have a bigger family or anyone with longish legs I would guess Golf Plus gives you a lot more comfort and room in the back?

I agree about wind noise - aware of it when test driving on dual carriage ways after reading a review - however, its not exactly an aerodynamic beast so to be expected. Not intrusive and not a bad pay off for all the other huge plus points.

Have another drive and give a 1.2 a go. I couldn't believe how much poke it has.

Good luck!

Any Help :-http://www.easier.com/75351-skoda-yeti-auto-express-car-of-the-year.html

I'm in Herefordshire.

Depends on whether you are in the north or south of Herefordshire, but I would recommend a call to Faintree in Bridgnorth. They are a family based firm who have a good reputation. If you fancy a trek then the dealer in Swansea seems to be good.

From personal experience I would not recommend either of the Furrows places! Bamfords in Gloucester don't seem very popular, nor the place in the Forest.

Have you looked in the dealers section on here? Might be worth while.

http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/53-skoda-retailer-network-reviews/

Edited by Llanigraham