How To: VRS Pick up pipe(suction pipe) replacement

Bowders1

hi guys just wondering,where is the flexible oil pipe to turbo?cos it seems like i did'nt do that when i changed mine,car is a 1.9 tdi elegance 110..thanks for the help..

hi guys just wondering,where is the flexible oil pipe to turbo?cos it seems like i did'nt do that when i changed mine,car is a 1.9 tdi elegance 110..thanks for the help..

Different engine mate so I doubt any of this applies.

The flexi oil return pipe from the turbo is a short pipe, at the back of the engine, only a couple of inches long, the oil supply to the turbo is from a rigid black pipe (starts at the front of the engine). Both of these pipes are external to the sump.

HTH

PICS!!! :wonder:

Just reset my on line photo's so pics are now back in page 1... :thumbup:

Not sure about the tdi but they are heer on the VRS.

Can see the allen socket attached to the bolts holding pipe in place (just noticed how close my sump has been scrapped due to car being low) :o

VRSOilPickuppipereplacement026.jpg

VRSOilPickuppipereplacement027.jpg

Good view of where the dipstick is positioned also.

VRSOilPickuppipereplacement035.jpg

I didn't get a new Oring when I got mine. You've got me worried I have done it wrong now lol.

hi guys,just wondering about that flexible oil pipe to turbo cos i did'nt see that thing when i did mine,hope anyone could help pls...car is a 1.9 tdi elegance asv engine code

• 1 month later...

Done this on mine a few weeks ago, and lost a bolt in the sump `webbing` too Grrr. Had to rush out to Halfrauds and get another torque wrench though, as the cheap one I bought from ebay was pants!

The pickup pipe was about 70% blocked, so well worth doing, and as someone else mentioned it should be a service item at about 50k I think.

Car is *definately* smoother, and seems to rev better now, so well it`s all good :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

Picking mine up on Monday mate. They are charging me £11 for the pipe and £4 for the rubber o-ring would have thought all dealers should be the same price. couldn't find it anywhere else though.

Done mine today, a little bit of sludge in the corner of the sump & the pickup was partially blocked

28042012863web.jpg

28042012864web.jpg

All back together now with some decent oil - Helix Fully synthetic - No way the T**t I bought it off changed the oil a month ago, on a good note motor is nice n clean inside !!

Pickup was £8.52, Seal £3.31(not far off your £11 + £4 but they gave me 7.5% discount (no idea why) then plus the dreaded.

Two bolts close to the flywheel are a swine, you can just get em with a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive long extension.

Edited by B@man

Hi guys great how to guide for me to follow here many thanks. Does the pickup pipe need replacing or can I just give it a good clean through.

False economy to clean this pipe and you may push crud up pipe and cause a blockage anyway. Not worth the risk. Replace every time at that price. :thumbup:

Two bolts close to the flywheel are a swine, you can just get em with a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive long extension.

Yep that is what I did can use a 1/4 flexi extension too :thumbup:

Not see it but Clive used an audi seal on it?

Anyone know the pn for it? Thinking of doing mine again seen as the engine will be out, dont fancy using that naf sealant stuff just in case.

When I did mine a little back I was worried I either used too much or not enough.

thing about that part is you dont know if it needs changing or not till the sump is off and by that time its too late lol. Mine was spot on before and didnt really have any blocks.

billy

Thanks to Mark for this guide,

I did mine at the weekend and TBH didnt need doing. its done 101k on the same pickup pipe and only had oil change when the service indicated. Only had longlife oil in bar once on the 3rd service done by Skoda when the only did a 10k service so used Castrol Mag 10w40. I changed that when I looked at the service light for 0w30 again and had skoda reset the light back to longlife service.

There was hardly any blocked parts other than 2 bits of something in 2 of the holes.

I did otice tho that the sump had a lot of burned on oil ie the sump was very brown unlike Marks pic which seems pritty nice. Now the car is 100k+ I am going to go from servicing it every 18-20k(when ever the service ind comes up) to every 15-17k with Quantum III

Ive noticed the engine feels nicer too but again she was due a service soon anyway.

Oh and I also noticed that even when you drain the oil there is still quite a lot of oil that you cant get out without removing the sump.

billy emoticon-0148-yes.gif

thats not long ago really lol. only on 112k now and not rising

thats not long ago really lol. only on 112k now and not rising

I would not bother Billy as you look after your motor with lots of oil changes. It will still be clean.

Mark

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you just do the bolts up on the pickup pipe hand tight??

No definitely not buddy, don't want that coming loose. I used a socket and wrench and did them up to around 20lbs at a guess

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question..... Bought a new pipe and o ring from TPS as well as 5l of quantum platinum 5w 40, a filter and some halfords sealant and will be doing mine tomorrow. My question is (and it might sound daft,) will this job be safe to do with the car on axle stands as opposed to the ramps?, as I usually only use them when I take wheels off the car for a clean or to check brakes and I don't have any ramps.

Or am I just a muppet!?!

You're a muppet :p :giggle:

Either or, whatever gets the car high enough to work on :)

lol..

will this job be safe to do with the car on axle stands as opposed to the ramps?, as I usually only use them when I take wheels off the car for a clean or to check brakes and I don't have any ramps.

Or am I just a muppet!?!

Best is ramps as it gets car nice and high and you can get under car better unless you have good high axles stands...

But either will do buddy...

I just managed to get hold of some ramps off a workmate- just a case of chocking the back wheels and away I go then! Cheers mate. £19 for 5 litres of quantum platinum from TPS was a bargain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Just decided to get this done on my boys recently bought VRS. Suppose I should have done it as soon as we got it to save a change of oil so soon. but at £25 for 5L of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and a Crossman filter from ECP that's not a big deal.

Just been to Heritage in Yeovil to order up the pipe and seal and current prices are (inc. VAT) £11.63 for the pipe and £4.51 for the seal. I put the sealant number into Google and the first Ebay link to come up turned out to be ECP's Ebay shop so getting that from them. Didn't even bother trying Yeovil TPS as I've read before that wont serve joe public.

On the sealant side, I've seen from my Vectra days what can happen using too much sealant (old addage 'less is more' is true in this instance). Oil level sensor is on the front of the sump and they could start leaking. To change the 'o' ring you had to drop the sump to be able to undo the circlip to get the sensor out and change the seal. A friend has his done at a garage and they'd plastered the sealant on,of course it all squeezed out inside too and eventually broke off in bits. Outcome was after not very long the pick up totally clogged and lunched the engine. Not the end of the world on the Vectra 'B' 2.5v6 as then it was a good excuse to do a 3.0/3.2 conversion. :happy:

The boys vrs is running like a dream with no oil pressure issues but for peace of mind (it's had a very questionable service history for the last 4 years 16,000miles) I want to get on and do it.