Sunroof

endo60

I've ben trying to find out if a sunroof option might be available in time for the Yeti order I'm itching to place.

I've heard back from the Customer Relations Manager at Škoda UK. Their Factory Liaison is unavailable until Monday 7 March but he's going to give me an update when he returns and I'll post this on this forum.

Due to the unforeseen demand for the Yeti in 2010, their second and third tier suppliers couldn't supply quickly enough and the panoramic sunroof was temporarily withdrawn.

You won't need to email Robert Hazelwood. SkodaUK are working with the factory to get it back into UK spec cars.

Hold tight and I think there will be some more news at the end of next month about the availability of this option.

Just be patient, like me! :giggle:

Just be patient, like me! :giggle:

But since then, the end of February has come and gone, and James has said that Skoda UK are still debating whether allowing us to have an optional sunroof (like the rest of Europe!!) would exacerbate Skoda's inability to meet the demand for Yetis!

I hope the planned production figures will allow them to reduce waiting lists - and see a reduced demand in the UK as a possible silver lining to the government's plans to reduce our disposable incomes...

Chris

When I collected my SM this week and was chatting to the salesman, he reckoned the sunroof problem was one of weight, and the complications this caused, rather than supply difficulties. Doesn't sound too likely to me.

When I collected my SM this week and was chatting to the salesman, he reckoned the sunroof problem was one of weight, and the complications this caused, rather than supply difficulties. Doesn't sound too likely to me.

Maybe there is something in this? Didnt the velux roof in combination with the spare wheel put the car into the next band up in terms of tax bracket? Could this be causing an issue?

All I know is that its the best option I specified and I benefit from it every day I drive the car!.

Maybe there is something in this? Didnt the velux roof in combination with the spare wheel put the car into the next band up in terms of tax bracket? Could this be causing an issue?

I've mentioned this before when this came up vs the 1,2 DSG that could not be had with a sunroof AND a spare wheel: why on earth can't ŠkodaUK give us the option to decide ourselves?!?!!? So my chosen new car sans sunroof is in X tax bracket and if I order a sunroof it goes into the next bracket up. So what?! I then know that the roof will cost me £1050 to begin with AND an extra few bob a year to tax. That leaving the decision to ME. But no. They just refuse to give you the choice and just take the choice away. Madness. And I know it only affects a few models that are very close in weight for achieving their emissions. But on my 140 TDI it makes no difference at all... So why stop EVERYONE from having a sunroof?!

As stated before email the MD and moan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only way to resolve this in my view.

I must admit, Mr Sunroof Patient here is losing his patience and if Skoda doesn't allow me to order the car they were allowing before, then I will choose another make and model from a company that does serve my requirements.

Hi Johan,

I didn't mention it in my post but I did originally contact the MD. He promptly replied and he put me in contact with the Customer Relations Manager. The problems reported are around supply and not weight.

Hi Johan,

I didn't mention it in my post but I did originally contact the MD. He promptly replied and he put me in contact with the Customer Relations Manager. The problems reported are around supply and not weight.

That is fine. But Business School 101 will tell you that supply and demand is regulated by cost. So charging £1500 or £2000 for the roof (which it is still worth in my book) will regulate demand. Those that really, really want it will pay, and the rest of the people that thought "oh what the heck why not tick this box as well" won't. Problem solved for the poor MD that claims "supply" is his problem. Not rocket science. Why can all of Europe then get this roof (on a Yeti)? Why can VW and SEAT use this very roof in the Sharan/Alhambra without "supply" issues?! Something smells rotten here I'm sorry...

That is fine. But Business School 101 will tell you that supply and demand is regulated by cost. So charging £1500 or £2000 for the roof (which it is still worth in my book) will regulate demand. Those that really, really want it will pay, and the rest of the people that thought "oh what the heck why not tick this box as well" won't. Problem solved for the poor MD that claims "supply" is his problem. Not rocket science. Why can all of Europe then get this roof (on a Yeti)? Why can VW and SEAT use this very roof in the Sharan/Alhambra without "supply" issues?! Something smells rotten here I'm sorry...

+1

Didnt the velux roof in combination with the spare wheel put the car into the next band up in terms of tax bracket? Could this be causing an issue?

I've recently taken delivery of a 110 diesel Elegance. The latest Yeti catalogue states this model as being in band E with a co2 rating of 140(g/km) WITHOUT either a sunroof or spare wheel. Mine has BOTH and the V5 shows the same 140(g/km) rating. So in my case at least, the extra weight is not an issue.

Edited by Bigfoot

I've recently taken delivery of a 110 diesel Elegance. The latest Yeti catalogue states this model as being in band E with a co2 rating of 140(g/km) WITHOUT either a sunroof or spare wheel. Mine has BOTH and the V5 shows the same 140(g/km) rating. So in my case at least, the extra weight is not an issue.

According to posts some time ago it is the average weigth of the factory supplied car that matters over a large number supplied. Hence you can't get factory fitted towbars in the uk and you can't have a spare wheel from the factory if you have other heavy options. If too many carsfrom a particular engine size are supplied with the heavy extras, the averageweight and hence cvo2 use goes up and that model as a whole slips into the next tax bracket as the Co2 is higher. There is no reason at all why the towbar couldn't be factory fitted, it would be much cheaper to add during construction, but the extra weight over the proportion of buyers which would specify it would up the average too much. Similarly with sunroofs, I suspect there is a quota when they are availble which can be ordered to the uk to keep the overall average down.

This is entirely due to the way the government assesses car tax based on co2 use and particularly company car tax. If the 110 elegance had been 1 co2 higher I would have to pay tax on an extra 4% of the new price of the car each year.

According to posts some time ago it is the average weigth of the factory supplied car that matters over a large number supplied. Hence you can't get factory fitted towbars in the uk and you can't have a spare wheel from the factory if you have other heavy options. If too many carsfrom a particular engine size are supplied with the heavy extras, the averageweight and hence cvo2 use goes up and that model as a whole slips into the next tax bracket as the Co2 is higher. There is no reason at all why the towbar couldn't be factory fitted, it would be much cheaper to add during construction, but the extra weight over the proportion of buyers which would specify it would up the average too much. Similarly with sunroofs, I suspect there is a quota when they are availble which can be ordered to the uk to keep the overall average down.

This is entirely due to the way the government assesses car tax based on co2 use and particularly company car tax. If the 110 elegance had been 1 co2 higher I would have to pay tax on an extra 4% of the new price of the car each year.

That makes sense. I've obviously missed the earlier posts having only just joined this forum.