DSG tiptronic issues

rockhopper

You will know if it works because the box wont make an awful groaning noise and be trying to pull away. I think the engine needs to be fully warm too. :thumbup:

Ah.... OK I'll try it with a warm Yeti one day then. :thumbup:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do this in a DSG - Its called Launch Control.

DSG in Manual or S, ESP off, left foot on brake, right foot buried in accelerator, the revs will sit at 2.5k on the diesel and slightly higher in the petrol, release brake to 'launch'. :thumbup:

Fair suggestion but Rockhopper's problem happens, and my comments relating to it and the ECU doing a safety cut-out, relate to when he is 'rolling' i.e. not stationary.

Fair suggestion but Rockhopper's problem happens, and my comments relating to it and the ECU doing a safety cut-out, relate to when he is 'rolling' i.e. not stationary.

Oh i know that - was just replying to a previous comment that was all.....off topic from the actual OP i know! ;)

To those of you who have the wonderful DSG gearbox, I have it coupled to a CR140tdi.

On 2 occasions now I have been using the tiptronic function, and changed down for a junction, I think on both occasions that it happened, I then lost drive. the engine would just rev, with no go. I never experienced this with my previous gearbox.

This happened once a few weeks ago when using the tiptronic, and once last week, after the flappy paddle steering wheel was fitted, so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Anybody else suffered loss of drive in tiptronic?

I rectified it on both occasions by flicking back into D, but it was a little disconcerting, putting your foot down as you enter a roundabout to find you have lost drive.

Mike

Hi. I may have seen a similar problem in my wifes Yeti. Driving with DSG in manual mode. Approach roundabout. Brake going around said roundabout. Foot off brake and back onto accelerator. Engine revs but no pull being produced. Probably happened twice to me and does not happen to wife since she leaves it in auto mode.

Hi. I may have seen a similar problem in my wifes Yeti. Driving with DSG in manual mode. Approach roundabout. Brake going around said roundabout. Foot off brake and back onto accelerator. Engine revs but no pull being produced. Probably happened twice to me and does not happen to wife since she leaves it in auto mode.

Great news that it isn't just me, but sorry to hear you have had the same issues. How did you get it to 'drive' again?

Have you asked your dealer to look into it yet?

Mike

Hi Rockhopper - I notice Elsie was in Allams on 21st - have you yet had any feedback? I have looked through and can't see anything - forgive me if I have missed and just being a prat!

Pleased for you Mike!

Lets hope Crawsfyeti's dealer does find a fault to allay inferences that your remap/paddles were in any way a contributing factor.... :p

(You may have detected a soupcon of cynicism apropos inept dealers - of which I can point to several recent experiences. Although relations remain cordial, I'm mighty reluctant to entrust them to anthing other than simple, mundane tasks - until I'm convinced otherwise ;) )

Great news that it isn't just me, but sorry to hear you have had the same issues. How did you get it to 'drive' again?

Have you asked your dealer to look into it yet?

Mike

Hi. Not driven the car lately, but will see if it happens again. No contact with dealer about it as yet. Got it to drive by moving stick across to auto mode each time it happened.

Hi. Not driven the car lately, but will see if it happens again. No contact with dealer about it as yet. Got it to drive by moving stick across to auto mode each time it happened.

I did that as well, apart from 1 time when I waited to see what happened and it eventually engaged after about 2-3 seconds probably, but felt like ages emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Hi,

I had the same fault in my octy 140pd - the cause was 2l less oil in the transmission than there should have been. The tech at the time could not give a reason for not enough oil no leaks etc. It had never had a gearbox service so we presumed not filled correctly from new.

Apparently it is a pita to check dsg oil levels and easy to get wrong....

Tom

• 1 month later...

It happened again today. Leave the suburbs of Warlingham, slide the leaver across to tiptronic, select 3rd gear, enter national speed limit, and accelerate up to 60. vehicle in front about 1/2 mile later signals to turn right and slows down, so tap tap down to 4th. on with the power....and the engine revs again, and again.....just leave it, coating along, slowing down to about 30mph by now. Then it selected 3rd by its self and I was then able to accelerate back up to 60....No problems for the rest of the journey, and I drove it quite hard, but staying within the speed limits. average fuel consumption was about 36mpg driven hard, including up some steep hills. But the journey was only about 30 minutes each way. Surrey has lots of short steep hills and some not so short steep hills.....Some local ones Titsey, Hill, Botley Hill, Succomes Hill, White Hill, Toyes Hill, Ide Hill, Crockham Hill, Turners Hill, South Norwood Hill, Knights Hill, the list goes on and on emoticon-0140-rofl.gif so it is not easy for me to get sensible fuel consumption.....

Hi,

I had the same fault in my octy 140pd - the cause was 2l less oil in the transmission than there should have been. The tech at the time could not give a reason for not enough oil no leaks etc. It had never had a gearbox service so we presumed not filled correctly from new.

Apparently it is a pita to check dsg oil levels and easy to get wrong....

Tom

It's going into Allams next week so I'll ask if they can check the level.

• 6 months later...

Rockhopper, so what happened to the problem? Could you get it fixed or were they at least able to diagnose what the problem was?

I have a 3 month old octavia 140cr dsg and the samething happened to me a couple of times.

Edited by vinj14

Rockhopper, so what happened to the problem? Could you get it fixed or were they at least able to diagnose what the problem was?

I have a 3 month old octavia 140cr dsg and the samething happened to me a couple of times.

Hi

No my dealer didn't ever discover what the problem was. I have not had any issues since I last mentioned them. The dealer was able at the time to replicate the problem, but they couldn't find anything wrong. They wouldn't investigate further until I had my flappy paddle MFSW removed, as Yeti's aren't fitted with them as an option, which is ridiculous, so I never bothered. I have not noticed a problem since then, and I use the flappy paddles all the time, even around town. For a couple of months I just made sure I didn't go down the 'box more than I gear at a time, but now I will go down a couple of gears at a time.

I find the flappy paddles make driving briskly (as in driving a BRIsk SKODA) much safer and more fun using the paddles, rather than waving my left hand around somewhere (in the UK).

Edit: It is reassuring that it seems to be a more widespread issue, rather than just my car. If enough of us complain about it then Skoda may admit that there is a possible problem and issue a fix. Not good for those of us who have the problem though. It does only seem to be affecting the newer cars which means it might be something to do with the latest software for the 'box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird coincidence because i too retrofitted a 3 spoke mfsw replacing my 4 spoke non mfsw. I've driven my car for three months and it has happened only twice! I've even been driving on manual mode for long periods over the last few days but couldn't replicate the problem. But you're right, with the paddles there's hardly any need to go the manual mode.

Whats interesting is that i have another friend who also has the same problem with his 3 month old octavia cr140 dsg. He still has his 4 spoke non mfsw and hasn't retrofitted anything. His problem occurs more frequently and could easily be replicated on driving for 15mins. The skoda guys here have run all kinds of tests but couldn't find anything. Some engineers are actually flying down to try and figure out the problem and if they're not able to he's been assured that his gearbox would be replaced. I'm waiting to see what happens in his case so that i can push for the samething if and when the issue starts cropping up repeatedly.

Edited by vinj14

Weird coincidence because i too retrofitted a 3 spoke mfsw replacing my 4 spoke non mfsw. I've driven my car for three months and it has happened only twice! I've even been driving on manual mode for long periods over the last few days but couldn't replicate the problem. But you're right, with the paddles there's hardly any need to go the manual mode.

Whats interesting is that i have another friend who also has the same problem with his 3 month old octavia cr140 dsg. He still has his 4 spoke non mfsw and hasn't retrofitted anything. His problem occurs more frequently and could easily be replicated on driving for 15mins. The skoda guys here have run all kinds of tests but couldn't find anything. Some engineers are actually flying down to try and figure out the problem and if they're not able to he's been assured that his gearbox would be replaced. I'm waiting to see what happens in his case so that i can push for the samething if and when the issue starts cropping up repeatedly.

Hmmm. keep us posted on your friends progress. I personally think it is a software issue, and not mechanical, but I could be wrong.

This does seem to be a DSG issue and not just a Yeti issue. I wonder if any of the other models have the same issue?

Mike