Tyres - The age old debate

I know that this has been done to death but I'm coming up to needing four new tyres so I'm happy to consider what is best out there (I do like have all four tyres the same....call me anal!!!), as well as what's a good compromise between cost and performance. I always err on the side of performance adn am happy to accept a bit of road noise, harshness or accept a shorter life as the compromises.

Have previously run Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics and am currently on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. Have recent tyre tests changed thoughts on the best all round tyres for Octy VRS's?

Edited by partyboy1101

I am not buying now but my list would be the UniRoyal Rainsports, Conti SC3s, Michelin Pilot Sports, Vrdestein Sessanta or latest and possibly greatest mixed rain/dry tyre the Goodyear FI Asymmetrical 2 according to a recent test

Hi Anal (you told us to call you that)

I've just changed from Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas to Michelin PS3s, and there is a marked difference in ride quality between them, the PS3s seem much less 'crashy' than the Sessantas

I'm hoping general wear rates will be better with the PS3s too :thumbup:

Just had Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's fitted to my VRS. Very impressed so far. They replaced Continental SportContact 3's. Blackcircles have them cheaper than the CS3's too. Was put off by the Rainsports as I read a lot of reviews which said they didn't last very long.

Been debating the 3 tires mentioned above.

225/40/18 i've decided to opt for the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 @ £110 per tyre.

Thats a good price fitted. I've just ordered 4 of the uniroyals as my vrs is currently running on nankangs(awful tyre), the uniroyals are £88.80 each from camskill website online, delivery is about a tenner....£355 plus delivery and I will have to get them fitted.

Been debating the 3 tires mentioned above.225/40/18 i've decided to opt for the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 @ £110 per tyre.

A very wise choice emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Should have gone for the Michelins :doh:

A very wise choice emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Cheers i have them on my van and love them the water that they shed is seriously unreal :thumbup:

Should have gone for the Michelins :doh:

the extra £37 a tire doesnt warrant it sadly as i've heard more bad than good about the PS3's and bulging.

I've just gone for the Michelins too on the front, I am very impressed so far. As Brimma says, they do seem to cushion any impacts as well as the great traction they provide in damp/wet conditions. A world apart from the Dunlops they replace so far.

I am in the process of chosing new tyres for my Vrs... I think I will go with the Conti CS3, I read on one review of the Uniroyal rainsport that it has very flexible sidewall which helps grip cornering but makes it especially prone to damage from potholes - I do my best to avoid them but potholes (actually more like craters) seem to be a feature of modern motoring in UK... that put me off a bit and pity because they are not the most expensive option by far...

the extra £37 a tire doesnt warrant it sadly as i've heard more bad than good about the PS3's and bulging.

I got mine for £122 each delivered on ebay - probably could have gone in lower on 'make me an offer', so only £12 extra per tyre :)