Help choosing

jakeyc

Hi

I am trying to buy a new Yeti for my wife. I am a Skoda convert since getting my Superb Estate.

So now I need to decide...

I would quite like 4x4 as we live quite high on a hill, and we tend to get snow at least twice a year. It tends to restrict our movements for a week-2 weeks a year, which is very annoying.

So I suppose my first question is: Do I need 4x4? if so, why? And how is the 2WD versions in the snow (with winter tyres maybe)?

Then comes DSG.... I have it in my Superb and love it! I know my wife will love it too, so are there any manual Yeti drivers out there who love their gearboxes?

Then of course is the cost...

SO my shortlist is:

Yeti 4x4 DSG 140 Diesel Elegance - the ultimate

Yeti 4x4 Manual 140 Diesel Elegance - second best

Yeti Greenline 2WD Elegance (love the fact that it is cheap to run) - the ECO

Yeti 1.2 DSG 2WD Elegance - The cost saver

Yeti 1.2 Manual 2WD Elegance - The super cost saver

It has to be Elegance as we want leather seats, and the headlights.

I know there is no RIGHT ANSWER, but please help me make my mind up with your experience!!

Cheers! Jake

Hi

I am trying to buy a new Yeti for my wife. I am a Skoda convert since getting my Superb Estate.

So now I need to decide...

I would quite like 4x4 as we live quite high on a hill, and we tend to get snow at least twice a year. It tends to restrict our movements for a week-2 weeks a year, which is very annoying.

So I suppose my first question is: Do I need 4x4? if so, why? And how is the 2WD versions in the snow (with winter tyres maybe)?

Then comes DSG.... I have it in my Superb and love it! I know my wife will love it too, so are there any manual Yeti drivers out there who love their gearboxes?

Then of course is the cost...

SO my shortlist is:

Yeti 4x4 DSG 140 Diesel Elegance - the ultimate

Yeti 4x4 Manual 140 Diesel Elegance - second best

Yeti Greenline 2WD Elegance (love the fact that it is cheap to run) - the ECO

Yeti 1.2 DSG 2WD Elegance - The cost saver

Yeti 1.2 Manual 2WD Elegance - The super cost saver

It has to be Elegance as we want leather seats, and the headlights.

I know there is no RIGHT ANSWER, but please help me make my mind up with your experience!!

Cheers! Jake

I realise I'm not really answering your question, but I'd ask what you'd use your Yeti for during the 50 weeks when it's not snowing? As several posters here have said, 2wd with winter tyres is probably better than 4wd without (and a lot cheaper!). So do you need/want 4wd drive enough to pay the premium? And do your needs require diesel power (it looks from your preferred order that you'd put power over dsg as a preference). It's perhaps worth saying you'd get similar economy and the convenience of dsg in both 1.2 tsi, and 140 tdi, but at £4k less in the former, and with cheaper fuel,insurance and tax

Lastly, if you're not bothered about dsg, why not consider the 1.4 tsi as a compromise and get a bit more power, still for a lot less than the tdi

I realise I'm not really answering your question, but I'd ask what you'd use your Yeti for during the 50 weeks when it's not snowing? As several posters here have said, 2wd with winter tyres is probably better than 4wd without (and a lot cheaper!). So do you need/want 4wd drive enough to pay the premium? And do your needs require diesel power (it looks from your preferred order that you'd put power over dsg as a preference). It's perhaps worth saying you'd get similar economy and the convenience of dsg in both 1.2 tsi, and 140 tdi, but at £4k less in the former, and with cheaper fuel,insurance and tax

Lastly, if you're not bothered about dsg, why not consider the 1.4 tsi as a compromise and get a bit more power, still for a lot less than the tdi

My wife will just take the kids about and go shopping mainly. I suppose I have in the back of my mind my irritation when it snows, and I wish I had a 4x4.. but I fully agree that the 50 weeks with no snow is much more important.

The 1.4 is an option and I have a test drive booked in one next week (that is all my local dealer has). I'd love to drive the greenline, as I think it would also be a good compromise.

This would be a second car really.

If its only being used to drive the kids about and do the shopping, why does it have to be 140? a 110 diesel would do that job with ease

Good point. Although the price difference is not much really, so I think that is why I dismissed it, will def think about that one too.

Edited by jakeyc

Just remember that although the 4x4 is excellent, if the school and town are at the bottom of the hill then it doesn't matter what you are in, as GRAVITY will win. If you will not be using the vehicle off-road then go for a 2wd and buy winter tyres. 4x4 is not the panacea that everyone thinks it is, and really needs some training to get the best out of it.

As for diesel or petrol, there are those that will say that if you are doing lots of short trips then petrol is a better bet.

Just remember that although the 4x4 is excellent, if the school and town are at the bottom of the hill then it doesn't matter what you are in, as GRAVITY will win. If you will not be using the vehicle off-road then go for a 2wd and buy winter tyres. 4x4 is not the panacea that everyone thinks it is, and really needs some training to get the best out of it.

As for diesel or petrol, there are those that will say that if you are doing lots of short trips then petrol is a better bet.

Thanks. There might be short trips, but we live in the countryside, so plenty of 15 mile runs at 50-60 mph.. would hopefully keep the dpf happy.

When it snows pretty much everyone around drives out in their 4x4.. whilst I try and get out in my superb.. and I got stuck a few times this winter about 50 yrds from my house (very embarrassing!) ! I am just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of 4x4 over 2wd, and the added expense. I'd probably get winter tyres whichever I chose.

I was weighing up DSG on my Superb and took a punt and went for it.. now I am so glad I did, so it's that similar kind of decision really..

A decent set of winter tyres will give you the mobility you need, so you don't need to go for the expense of 4wd. I passed a few cars that had 4wd and were struggling,in my 2wd Yeti this winter, so as has been said, don't think its a magic bullet.

I don't think they make a poor engine in the range to be honest, so just go with what you like driving and fits your budget.

I've been particularly impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the 1.4, but it won't appeal to everyone.

When i bought my last car (having came from a 4x4) i wouldn't be without it! - Ok, so it cost's a little more to buy, but It doesn't cost or too much more to run, and in my opinion, well worth it, not just in the white stuff, but in the wet also - it does help with traction during cornering and emergency situations in all conditions.

For example, your 170 DSG Superb Estate is quicker, on paper than my 170 4x4 Superb Estate, but on a wet, slippery surface, the 4x4 will out maneuver the 2wd, and will come in quicker, but ultimately, safer. (there is a web page on this somewhere, but i cant find it right now...)

My wife's next car will be 4x4. There is no question about it.

Al.

This year was the first time in my life I drove around in my own car on winter tyres. What a revelation. In sheet ice it drove like it was tarmac on a summer's day. (And yes I duly fell over when I got out of the car as I had trainers on not suitable for ice!)

So I'd also suggest a smaller engine since you won't need this car for big trips where it will be heavily loaded. I'd definitely go for DSG so that leaves you with the 1,2 DSG Elegance and another set of alloys or steel wheels with winter tyres on. And plenty of money to raid the options list!

Thanks everyone.. still not sure about the 4x4 or 2wd...

Nobody seems keen on the Greenline..? 60mpg, £30 a year to tax. - Seems about powerful enough...

Thanks everyone.. still not sure about the 4x4 or 2wd...

Nobody seems keen on the Greenline..? 60mpg, £30 a year to tax. - Seems about powerful enough...

That is not the case. They are too new! So there is still no one on the forum with one to have helped us form an opinion on them yet. In other VAG cars with that engine the comments vary from amazing to avoid due to its sluggishness. So a very mixed bag re that engine and thus no opinion yet on here.

I think 2x4 with winter tyres is a no brainer on a school run car as the fuel consumption will be less for those remaining 50 weeks. You only need to decide on DSG or manual. And I think you know already which you'd prefer there too! :giggle:

This year was the first time in my life I drove around in my own car on winter tyres. What a revelation. In sheet ice it drove like it was tarmac on a summer's day. (And yes I duly fell over when I got out of the car as I had trainers on not suitable for ice!)

So I'd also suggest a smaller engine since you won't need this car for big trips where it will be heavily loaded. I'd definitely go for DSG so that leaves you with the 1,2 DSG Elegance and another set of alloys or steel wheels with winter tyres on. And plenty of money to raid the options list!

I fully concur with Johann's remarks above, we live on the side of a hill,and when we ordered ours the only DSG(which we need for medical reasons) was 1.2. Our 2WD Yeti was struggling in the snow to get home on the summer tyres, and even worse on black ice. Having read the forum, I bought my first ever winter tyres, on 16 inch steels, and was absolutely amazed when I put them on in December, they completely transformed the car, it now gets up the hill with ease, and feels very surefooted and safe. Until then I was considering changing for the 2.0 diesel DSG, which I don't really need with our small mileage and short journeys, but now we both feel very much safer with the performance both on snow and ice, and strongly recommend winter tyres on 2WD if you don't need 4WD.

The 1.2 DSG Yeti drives suprisingly well and is a bit of a bargain for what it is. As everyone else has said a set of decent winter tyres will keep you going, obviously not as well as a 4x4 with winter tyres would do but if the ground is flat I reckon you'd get where you want to go easier and safer in a 2WD with winter tyres than a 4WD with summer tyres.

If you love the way the Superb drives and your budget allows than perhaps going for the 4WD DSG is a better option.

Thanks - useful info.

People with the 4x4 love them, and people without like the fact that they don't need it. Seems like I can't lose either way.. which makes the decision even harder.

Would be good to find a greenline owner and ask their opinion. I found one pretty good review video on youtube, but that's about it..

Hi Jakey, my Yeti is 2WD 110 diesel, I got stuck a few times with the summer tyres on, when we had all the snow. Changed to winter tyres (225/50/17) and the difference is like night and day! Best £400 I ever spent. Of course the 4x4 version with winter tyres would give you 'go any where' capabilities in the winter, but like you mentioned a greenline version on winter tyres would be an great option to consider too?

Hi Jakey, my Yeti is 2WD 110 diesel, I got stuck a few times with the summer tyres on, when we had all the snow. Changed to winter tyres (225/50/17) and the difference is like night and day! Best £400 I ever spent. Of course the 4x4 version with winter tyres would give you 'go any where' capabilities in the winter, but like you mentioned a greenline version on winter tyres would be an great option to consider too?

Thanks.

Any other reasons why I should get a particular model for my needs?

aybe we've answered all the 4x4 v's 2wd issues..

What about manual v's DSG? Or Diesel v's Petrol? Anyone driven them both?

I think as has been said, those with 4 x 4 love them, me included. Those with 2wd and winter tyres seem to love them. 2wd and summer tyres are no good in the winter. Simples as the Meerkat would say.

If you are not restricted then I would be tempted to get the most economical 2wd possible, have you seen fuel prices!, and buy winter tyres. That from a 4wd driver. In my case I lease the car and the costs have to be all inclusive so that is why I went for the 4wd option. It is something I was entirely grateful for this winter when it laughed in the face of every bit of snow that was thrown at it. However, would I like to get 50mpg+ rather than 43-45mpg, yes please.

Just one point not mentioned re the Greenline II being that it runs on 16" 205/22 R16 wheels and tyres as standard, therefore much easier to source winter tyres as this is one of the most common sizes.

Only minor drawback is the slight loss in ride hight on this model. However from the 2wd options despite not having driven it yet, it gets my vote. Plus the heavier diesel over the driving wheels will give you better traction in snow. Find even with winters my wifes lightweight Fabia TSI is still prone to the occasional wheel spin.

TP

Just one point not mentioned re the Greenline II being that it runs on 16" 205/22 R16 wheels and tyres as standard, therefore much easier to source winter tyres as this is one of the most common sizes.

Only minor drawback is the slight loss in ride hight on this model. However from the 2wd options despite not having driven it yet, it gets my vote. Plus the heavier diesel over the driving wheels will give you better traction in snow. Find even with winters my wifes lightweight Fabia TSI is still prone to the occasional wheel spin.

TP

Interesting about the R16 tyres.. does help my choice a little.. And it seems very good value.

Thanks!!

Presume that's meant to read 205/55/16 - they are a very common size indeed.

With the rising cost of fuel, the initial cost difference between diesel and petrol and the time they take to recoup the difference, will get sorter.

Al.

Thanks.

Any other reasons why I should get a particular model for my needs?

aybe we've answered all the 4x4 v's 2wd issues..

What about manual v's DSG? Or Diesel v's Petrol? Anyone driven them both?

Does changing gear bother you? It doesn't me so I wont pay extra for DSG, or get worse mpg. Others love it so it is a personal one.

Do you like the mid range torque of a diesel or the instance acceleration of a petrol? Again, I like a diesel so even if I went down the range to a less powerful one that is where I would go. I don't think there is a bad engine in the range though so the choice is not tricky from that point. You have lovely choices, not a bad one amongst them.

Presume that's meant to read 205/55/16 - they are a very common size indeed.

With the rising cost of fuel, the initial cost difference between diesel and petrol and the time they take to recoup the difference, will get sorter.

Al.

oops yes 205/55 R16 :giggle:

TP

When people are enquiring about the merits of a 4x4 against a 2x4, most of the replies seem to major on performance in snow and ice. Lets not loose track of the fact that driving in winter conditions with a 4x4 and winter tyres (of course) is only a fraction of a year of motoring. I have have ordered a 4x4 Yeti because of its superior traction and advanced levels of stability on all types of surfaces in all weather conditions ie wet greasy roads following summer storms, muddy roads, grit covered roads, adverse camber, towing etc etc.

This is where such a system is far more advantageous, Winter performance is the icing on the cake!