AMUNDSEN SAT NAV

Well I have tried to live with the Amundsen sat nav,and to be honest it works but not as a sat nav can not process 7 digit postcodes,brill at the reversing thingy £500 quid been to the dealer and they accepted its not great I can find some addresses but not all,the tom tom 1 is so much better,shame they did not tell me before purchasing that its not very good,anyone else having trouble with it I have complained to skoda uk but they have not come back to me yet,apparently the new brochure is out and there is a kenwood unit in there which is the dogs cahoonas,hopefully they will offer me something because this is hopeless

Kenwood DNX 520 VBT if it is the one in the Skoda Fabia & Me brochure. Interested to know what it may cost. Looking abut they are about a grand.

Kenwood DNX 520 VBT if it is the one in the Skoda Fabia & Me brochure. Interested to know what it may cost. Looking abut they are about a grand.

£800 :thumbup:the salesman at the dealer is putting it into his new monte carlo 1.6crtdi 105bhp

No rear USB on the Kenwood so your ipod has to be disconnected and reconnected all the time and it's not as slick as the VAG MDI on a RCD/RNS 510.

Cheers

Lee

I have had no issues with mine. Unit integrates very well. Have not put in an address it can't find (yet). Plus it was only £400 with the vat deal. You seem to be being a bit harsh. Mdi works really well with it.

I have had no issues with mine. Unit integrates very well. Have not put in an address it can't find (yet). Plus it was only £400 with the vat deal. You seem to be being a bit harsh. Mdi works really well with it.

Hi harsh maybe!,good sound yes,good mdi yes but wait til you use its satnav capabilities it's not great it can not use 7 digit postcodes which I think most of the UK is,I am quite rural here so its got to work well,but it does not,however there is suppose to be a update for it soon,I like the look of it and works great when you are looking for a hospital or similar but when looking for a specific address,they missed out most of the streets :wonder:

Edited by seboni121

I've thought this all along to be honest, the Swing CD unit that the car comes with is perfectly decent (is in fact more or less the same HU that my £23k Golf came with!). I agree that the Amundsen unit looks lovely and integrates brilliantly into the car but I always thought its sat nav capabilities compares to the likes of a new TomTom or Garmin are lacking.

Everyone knows TMC is a load of rubbish so thats of no real benefit, lack of full postcode search is a huge ommission nowadays but it would seem many OEM sat nav units arent capable of this. The Columbus has only recently become capable but this is not available with the Fabia and in my opinion is prohibitively expensive to retrofit.

I've saved the money and have a Tom Tom one IQ routes, when it starts getting old hat (which wont be the case for a while) i'll bin it and spend £100ish on a new one, seems the most sensible option.

Edited by pipsyp

I sort of agree, but in reality with the vat free offer the amundsen unit is only £300 and I will happily pay that for better iPod functionality, basic sat nav (it's better than my iPhone) and improved looks. Same reason I went for climate, I never use the auto function on my current alpha but the digital panel looks so much nicer than the nasty standard black plastic three dial set up

I've thought this all along to be honest, the Swing CD unit that the car comes with is perfectly decent.

I find it dull compared to my Mk1's Symphony unit (after playing with the settings). Maybe its the speakers?

I've saved the money and have a Tom Tom one IQ routes.

Yes. Consider also that, if you want to go abroad, it is cheaper to buy a complete TomTom IQ unit than a single country map for the Amundsen.

Just a thought re. the 7 digit post codes. We use devices at work that will only work with 7 digit postcodes,. i.e if it's a 6 digit code you have to type a space in between, but, if it's a 7 digit one you type it with no spaces. If you put a space in the middle of a 7 digit code it becomes 8 digits and the device doesn't recognize it. No idea if any of this is in the user manual as I don't yet have my Fabia (it's in the black hole at the moment, I'm hoping it gets spat out and lands on earth sometime in May). Plus I'm not having Sat Nav fitted. Might be worth a try. Hope I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, apologies if it seems that way.

Just a thought re. the 7 digit post codes. We use devices at work that will only work with 7 digit postcodes,. i.e if it's a 6 digit code you have to type a space in between, but, if it's a 7 digit one you type it with no spaces. If you put a space in the middle of a 7 digit code it becomes 8 digits and the device doesn't recognize it. No idea if any of this is in the user manual as I don't yet have my Fabia (it's in the black hole at the moment, I'm hoping it gets spat out and lands on earth sometime in May). Plus I'm not having Sat Nav fitted. Might be worth a try. Hope I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, apologies if it seems that way.

Hi thanx but I think it automatically jumps to satnav setup once you have chosen the six codes then you loose the seventh :wall:

I sort of agree, but in reality with the vat free offer the amundsen unit is only £300 and I will happily pay that for better iPod functionality, basic sat nav (it's better than my iPhone) and improved looks. Same reason I went for climate, I never use the auto function on my current alpha but the digital panel looks so much nicer than the nasty standard black plastic three dial set up

I agree. Additionally, as far as looks and iPod functionality go, I wish they'd just offer the Bolero in the Fabia.

im sure ive read their was a updated disc which included 7 digit search

Yes apparently there is going to be a update through the disc,suk did phone but I was out,said they will phone back in 15minutes ,2 hours ago :wonder:,so I am about to try the disc to update,the 6 digit is for city use only :thumbdown:

so I may have to move from this idyllic setting with bird song and rabbits,to a grey and concrete infested metropolis :giggle:

Well just received the phone call from SUK , the amundsen satelite navigation is not designed for the UK or DENMARK!!!why because these 2 countries have not been digitized,the rest of europe has,the european use numbers apparently but we use letters as well hence it does not work,however the columbus had the same problem but fixed with a upgrade to the system,they are (skoda) trying to sort out a upgrade for the amundsen sat nav but suk said "how long is a piece of string" or how deep is a hole",great in the mean time I will just have to get lost,they wanted me to go tell the stealer I wanted a kenwood fitted instead of this thing,because this thing does not work I said" I have spend over 50-60k over the last 10 years on skodas and was not about to do the dirty on the dealer they have been great with me!,so they are going to see what they can do and will phone me back in a week,he did say however that it may be a problem that the sat nav was built in at the factory as its more difficult to remove its intergrated into the cars dna,so will be a problem to remove "maybe"?,any one used the colombus and had the upgrade if so was it any better?,they seemed genuine enough and sounded as if they were going to do something maybe a free kenwood :wonder:

Well the plot thickens!!,just been to the dealer so close I can see the dealer from the house,SUK have contacted them and where ready to offer freebees the dealer said no as it does not help me at all,if there is no upgrade to the amundsen chances are a kenwood coming my way!!!,nothing 100%yet but if the wiring is same chances are looking good!!!!:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

SAM_3627.jpg?t=1302097323SAM_3630.jpg?t=1302097263From what you lot are saying there will be firmware upgrade to the amundsen hopefully soon as this is hopeless,sons will be leaving soon for afghanistan and operations in canada I will be going to the camps to say our goodbye's,the camps are rural and 7 digits so hopefully done before then or they will be back before I find the camp :wonder:,some pics of the interior and it does look good.

SAM_3623.jpg?t=1302097026

SAM_3627.jpg?t=1302097323SAM_3630.jpg?t=1302097263From what you lot are saying there will be firmware upgrade to the amundsen hopefully soon as this is hopeless,sons will be leaving soon for afghanistan and operations in canada I will be going to the camps to say our goodbye's,the camps are rural and 7 digits so hopefully done before then or they will be back before I find the camp :wonder:,some pics of the interior and it does look good.

SAM_3623.jpg?t=1302097026

awww i cant wait to get mine now and mess about with it, i love gadg :yes: ets

Spoke to the dealer about my monte (sept delivery) and cars built after week 22 will have full 7 digit post code function on the Amundsen unit

Week 22 september 6months to wait for firmware update then,Ican live with that ,Iwoll try get freebies then from SUK for the hassle,IPrefer the Amundsen to the kenwood to be honest,although the kenwood is a tv as well

So is written in stone, the Amundsen satellite navigation will be a seven digit unit, please tell me that it is so , has this been confirmed anywhere?

It was mentioned in the Geneva bulletin from Skoda that was posted on here a while ago.