Fabia vRS and supply of MDI cable

Hi folks,

Got a response from Skoda UK regarding the MDI cable. They advise that "a cable" is included in the price of the car and that it is to be supplied by the dealer. Would appear what cable you get is entirely your choice. There is also mention of a dealer bulletin.

Dont think my dealer is going to be best pleased with me, pestering him at the moment for discounted Lifeshine, free mats and free fitting of dog guard and mat!

See below: -

Thank you for your email dated 23 March 2011 regarding cost of an MDI lead for a Fabia vRS.

I can confirm that the cost of this lead is included in the price of the car.

Should your Skoda retailer require any clarification on this issue, please tell them to refer to the bulletin Number SK0415/10.

This will give further information on this issue.

Thank you again for contacting Skoda Customer Services. If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yes I know this has been discussed before. However no one has posted e-mail proof from Skoda UK on this topic. Also thought the Bulletin details would be useful for those who are in the same situation. This is clear evidence that the dealers should know what to do, most are probably pleading ignorance in the hope they dont have to supply a cable out of their own pocket.

great bit of info that is. saved it off to use as leverage. my dealer is still trying to charge me the 27.10 for the cable, which when Im purchasing a car worth over 14k seems a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Personally I dont think Skoda ever intended to supply the cable with the vehicles, rather they made a mistake in the 2011 brochure and to save a huge torrent of complaints from unhappy customers they've passed the buck onto the dealers to supply the lead with the car.

I'm not sure if the dealer can claim this back from Skoda UK or whether they have to lose it in the profit from the sale, either way if people dont ask for it saves them having to supply it. I know my dealer hasnt supplied a single cable with any vRS, he said as much and that they wouldnt supply one free of charge with mine. I'm making a stand out of principle as should everyone buying a vRS.

the updated brochure states the mdi cables are now an extra from your retailer ;)

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/Documents/brochures/cars/brochure_fabia.pdf

Just looked at the vRS. So basically it says the cable is included but it doesn't come with the car and the dealer needs to grab one from the parts department?

Either way I won't be paying for one and won't be signing on the dotted line until I have one!

Hmm, Im assuing that As I have paid for the lead from the dealer then I cant get my money back from them...

Grrrr.. Never mind, Cant really complain over £30 when paying out the price of a new car!

I doubt it your now ment to pay for it if you manage to get one free though fair play they alot cheaper on ebay anyway

The error has been corrected and any given away were simply good will

i guess this is one of them things that makes the skoda more cost efective

No you're not meant to pay for at, at least not with the vRS. That brochure says that the equipment as standard includes MDI and cable but the cable is supplied by the dealer, it doesn't say supplied at extra cost.

I doubt it your now ment to pay for it if you manage to get one free though fair play they alot cheaper on ebay anyway

The error has been corrected and any given away were simply good will

i guess this is one of them things that makes the skoda more cost efective

Hold on, I thought the cable should be included now not the other way round.

2011 Brochure clearly states the below for the vRS only: -

MDI (Multi-device interface and cable -

for connecting MP3 players, ipods

and audio equipment) †

† Connection cable supplied by retailer

As I said before I think Skoda UK made an error here, dont think they ever intended to supply the cable. Their mistake though and something we should be taking advantage of. Think its ridiculous in any case my MK6 Golf came with an iPod and USB cable with the car, if the car has MDI it should come with the cabling in order to be able to use it. It's like buying a house and having to pay extra for windows haha

Edited by pipsyp

One point is which one does the car come with ? I understand you can get Ipod/Phone, USB or Mini USB ? These dont all come with the car you only get one so how do they know what you want ? No lead came with my vRS but the dealer agreed one should have and he just asked me which one I wanted (iphone) and he posted it to me a week or so later.

I agree it should be supplied as part of the price but surely it should go on the order form when you specify which version of the lead ?

One point is which one does the car come with ? I understand you can get Ipod/Phone, USB or Mini USB ? These dont all come with the car you only get one so how do they know what you want ? No lead came with my vRS but the dealer agreed one should have and he just asked me which one I wanted (iphone) and he posted it to me a week or so later.

I agree it should be supplied as part of the price but surely it should go on the order form when you specify which version of the lead ?

Dealers dont want to supply them as I expect they get nothing back from Skoda for doing so, effectively they are giving away a free part. I expect Skoda's attitude is "if you dont supply the part to the customer do you want to keep your franchise" and are effectively being made to pay for SUK's mistake.

Certainly in the case of my dealership they were pleading ignorance; that no lead was supplied with the car and hadnt been for any cars they've sold with MDI; the leads were bought by the customers through the parts dept if they wanted to use the MDI. Fair shout to them in a way as i'd be annoyed too if I were them being expected to make a loss on the part because of a Skoda UK typo in a brochure, but that doesnt help me. Skoda say we should have the part then have the part we will.

I would recommend e-mailing your dealer advising of the bulletin regarding supply of the MDI lead and tell them which part number you want. Details can be found on the Skoda Accessories UK website.

Incidentally, I've e-mailed my dealer already, he's read my mail and hasnt responded. I'll be interested to see what his response is. I'll probably refuse to collect the car until they agree to supply the part if it comes to it.

Anyone know how long the cables are please?

My phone has micro usb rather than mini, so if the MDI cable is short I think it makes more sense to opt for USB (which I believe is a socket) and add my own usb to micro usb lead than get the mini usb and an adapter.

If you have the USB cable and connect an iPod/iPhone do you still get the same functionality or must you have the specific iPod MDI cable?

My phone has micro usb rather than mini, so if the MDI cable is short I think it makes more sense to opt for USB (which I believe is a socket) and add my own usb to micro usb lead than get the mini usb and an adapter.

If you have the USB cable and connect an iPod/iPhone do you still get the same functionality or must you have the specific iPod MDI cable?

They are about 6 inches long. You have to use the specific cable for the particular device you want to use. i.e. a USB cable will only work with a USB device, an iPod cable will only work with an iPod/iPhone, all to do with the way they are cabled.

One thing I have never tried though are extension cables or USB to memory card converters. I have a Sandisk USB to SD converter but have never tried it out.

I've been having problems with this issue as well. There is no doubt about it -the brochure when car orderd says 'MDI+cable' -not supplying a cable is effectively breach of contract.

I informed my dealer 1 month prior to collection on March 1st that I would require a cable but surprise surprise no cable in car on collection. Dealer has agreed to supply one FOC but its now 24 days later and I'm still waiting. Not good. Have been given a few excuses as to why I don't have my cable yet but still waiting.... Hoping it comes today or will be on phone to SUK to make complaint methinks!! :wonder:

For info my dealer replied to my e-mail this morning, he will supply the MDI cable of my choice with the car upon delivery. Very much a case if you dont ask you dont get it would appear!

The cables arent that long they are designed as far as i can see to just connect with the specific unit (ipod etc) and then let the unit sit on the recess shelf where the MDI port is.

Hope this helps.