[SOLVED] Clunkedy clunk knockedy knock

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short

ARB bushes!!!!!!!!! Solved :D :D :D:rofl:

Long

Dealer had it for the day to "look at it" again. I left the anti roll bar bushes on the passenger seat, but they said they would specifically only be giving it a look over today.

Went to pick it up this afternoon and it was only just up in the air. I could see them going at it with spanners. Turns out they decided to go ahead and replace the bushes whilst it was there.

Then went for a drive with the manager around some rough road.... silent suspension!! I haven't even paid yet. He said to drive it around for a day to make sure it's sorted.

They confirmed the slight play in the track rod, but said it wouldn't even fail an MOT. I'll get it done anyway though.

So, yep, try your ARB bushes. Would *never* have thought they could make such a racket.

Edited by mark.r.cullen

I actually just used standard oe parts. Should be 18mm after 2005 I think. Will try and find receipt for part number when I get home later.

I'll powerflex them whenever they go again. Hopefully in over a years time at least .....!

Thought you would all also like to know I got quoted for changing the track rod this morning when I went to pay.

£274.........!

2 hours labour as apparently subframe and rack have to be dropped.

~£89? + VAT for the track rod.

I'll see if friend mechanic can do that one. I can get track rod + end (Febi Bilstein) for £30. Hm!

• 1 month later...

If it's the size of the console bushes (rear bush on front wishbone) then there is only one "Size"..the easiest to fit are the Powerflex ones as they don't require the console unit to be removed to press the bush in....other that that the best are the SuperPro ones!! B)

i was driven to despair by my rumble clunk,until today thought id check anti roll bushing

so unload the bar jack up remove near side wheel undo top joint of drop link,drop link falls to floor oops, lucky had spare replaced road tested SORTED :rofl:

i am over the moon

• 1 year later...

I've had noises on my fabia for a long time now (model 2003/1.9tdi), it's getting worse of late, there is a dull bumping noise coming from the engine bay when going over speed bumps. Now there is an added ratatat as well when doing the same, GREAT! (which sounds more like the clutch - eek!). My wishbone and antiroll bar bushes have been changed (standard ones) so I'm fairly certain it's not that. My car's still pulling heavily to where the camber points to. She's been 4 wheel tracked a few times and has had new tires, no difference. it wandered at one point so I (like a mug) had Colbornes Woking do the steering rack (600 quid!)My dad's got the same car and his does not pull as much.

I took to a garage and they could find nothing wrong, useless. They said "wait tillthe problem gets noisy and shows itself". thats what I'm doing, radio up till then.

(I'm feeling it's my front struts)

MOT tomorrow, they might find something this time, but I bet not!

Colbournes did this to me too, nice little earner for them. I solved my pulling issue by changing the front struts+tracking.. I think any car over 5-6 years or with over 60-70 thousand miles, needs this done.

( I had already done everthing else, all bushes, track rod ends, and as I say, a new rack)

• 6 years later...
On 09/04/2011 at 22:03, R1chard said:

I had a nocking last year when setting off from a standstill and it's the only time it did it.

I replaced the droplinks, bottom ball joints and track rod ends and still no luck but then it magically disappeared over winter and now the sun is here it's back !

I'm thinking it's something to do with needing lubrication ?

Im thinking either top mounts or cv joints even though there not damaged/split ! Failing that, engine mounts....

Richard I have this exact problem, it comes from the rear right arch and echoes through the chassis like some has tapped the car with a pen.  I’ve removed all the trim, replaced rear spring and shocks and top mounts but still have the wretched noise.  Did you ever find out what it was?

49 minutes ago, globalste said:

Richard I have this exact problem, it comes from the rear right arch and echoes through the chassis like some has tapped the car with a pen.  I’ve removed all the trim, replaced rear spring and shocks and top mounts but still have the wretched noise.  Did you ever find out what it was?

I honestly can't remember now it was 8years ago 🤣