Fabia DRL (running lights) Help please

Thanks. That's a pretty good glossary.

I saw raymo's thread asking about SMD but didn't know it meant. Thanks to this thread I now do. The photos of his setup don't look too harsh, but I suspect that they might be more noticeable in the flesh - I know that's the idea.

I suppose my ideal compromise would be a "soft" effect a bit like the diffused backlighting used in the overhead menus in fast-food outlets. Or even the white background of this page on my tablet.

Definitely no switch for DRLs on the Reaction. I assume that's what fills the hole that I have directly to the left of the OBD2 port and before the fuse array. Fuse 17 (top right) does the job nicely.

I know it is not time for your MOT but if you took it for one it would fail as every light has to work  ;)

I know it is not time for your MOT but if you took it for one it would fail as every light has to work  ;)

Thanks. I'll have to check up on that, but have plenty of time.

I wonder if lights must work if they have bulbs in and removal of the bulbs would hypothetically bypass the issue. Its not as if a switch is there to hint at their presence.

I'm shortly to take another car for MOT which lost a fog light (glass anyway) in a recent pheasant strike. I've not found a replacement and the light has been "mended" with opaque/stripey duct tape. If the bulb still works, I'm sure its heat will melt the tape but given that I might use front fogs one day a year it shouldn't matter if I can find one at a breaker's. They're rare as hens' teeth.

• 1 month later...

That's great Fab! Glad you are so happy. ...I know I am. Still haven't bitten the bullet and done the fog lights though..... not sure if it's worth the money for the amount of time I would use them, plus I have the awesome HID conversion. Rapid. .....im my opinion LEDs look a little 'star trek' & 'cheap' behind the lens when off. ..This is the kind of bulb I would go for if subtle is your bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281064869868?redirect=mobile As compared to these which I don't like the look of when off. ..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1156-BA15S-382-P21W-White-50-SMD-LED-Tail-Brake-Turn-Signal-Light-Lamp-Bulb/281155994953?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D74%26meid%3D1754762858407717159%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281115364101%26 Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

I'm fancying a set of the first ones in this post but I'm a little concerned that they might throw up error codes with only having 1 x Cree fitted to each bulb, I know you can fit extra resistors but didn't really want to start messing and spending even more money on them, any thoughts on if these will work or am I best just getting the same as a few others on here that has the 2 x 5w Cree in each bulb that are tried and tested and work fine ??? PS I don't want them to be really really bright ;-)

I've not tried the bulbs with the single chip in them. I have to say that one of my bulbs stopped working for some reason, the only way I knew was I noticed the reflection in a window, anyway I didn't get an error message on the dash so not sure if they are monitored. A lot of it us down to the power draw and the unit flickering but I don't think it will be a problem. I put 7w CREE single chips in the fogs with no bother, changed them for 30w CREE and still no bother so I think you should be ok......can't he 100% though. 5w is pretty bright and in all honesty I wouldn't say the 10w look twice as bright if that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I've not tried the bulbs with the single chip in them. I have to say that one of my bulbs stopped working for some reason, the only way I knew was I noticed the reflection in a window, anyway I didn't get an error message on the dash so not sure if they are monitored. A lot of it us down to the power draw and the unit flickering but I don't think it will be a problem. I put 7w CREE single chips in the fogs with no bother, changed them for 30w CREE and still no bother so I think you should be ok......can't he 100% though. 5w is pretty bright and in all honesty I wouldn't say the 10w look twice as bright if that makes sense.

Hi jono any chance of a couple of pics of your 30w crees in situ. cheers

Just as clarification : there is no TRUE 30w CREE-bulbs for DRL/fog-lights.

Those replacementbulbs are at their strongest 10w... And those are the ones that are rated "80w"!

What is the 'true' wattage of a 5watt CREE chip? If the unit has 6 x 5W chips what is that?

I guess it would make more sense to talk about the light output in lumens then?

• Like 1

WANT!

If I have done my research right they draw around 9w and put out about 900-1000lumens.....

should be super bright!

• Like 1

I'm guessing they probably would be pretty bright. They do the same bulb in H7 and as a work light for a roof bar so I reckon the output would be too much......mind you I would be on the right side of the lights so :unsure:B)

What is the 'true' wattage of a 5watt CREE chip? If the unit has 6 x 5W chips what is that?

I guess it would make more sense to talk about the light output in lumens then?

The true watt of a 5 watt-diode is 5 watt.

They are however not pushing 5 watt through each diode, it's 1 watt in those lamps.

False advertising is what it's called ;).

I should know, I work with LED.

Regarding the "80 watt" (10 watt) lamps, those are NOT too bright imo.

They develop around 700 true lumen, which is around what you find in DRL-lights usually.

The "30 watt" is declared to develop 800 lumen, but the real figure is around 500 lumen.

As I stated earlier : I work with this 24/7, so if there is any questions just ask and I'll try to answer and help out =).

EDIT : the "80 watt"-lamps are not CANBUS-approved.

A replacementlamp for ba15s is truly CANBUS-approved when you can have it replace indicators.

And that lamp is not capable of that in cars that have CANBUS on indicators ;).

EDIT 2 : they do work for DRL since there is no CANBUS there.

They work really well for brakelights and reverselights aswell ;).

EDIT 3 : this picture shows how bright those bulbs are in an old BMW 5-series.

Old reflectors and glass which is not clear, still impressive how much that comes out ;)!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=613127008751038&set=pb.551738064889933.-2207520000.1385837937.&type=3&theater

Edited by Confide
  • Like 2

DRL doesn't have CANBUS-monitoring as I said aswell.
The seller claims tho that the bulb is CANBUS-certified which is a LIE!
The 80w are bright, but not too bright.
DRL are supposed to get noticed and they sure do ;).

EDIT : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=613127008751038&set=pb.551738064889933.-2207520000.1385837937.&type=3&theater

link comes here aswell =).

Edited by Confide

Yes, they are a big-seller here in Sweden!

After all, it gets dark here early and it gets worse the further up the country you come =).
In the most northern parts, the sun doesn't even come up for 1 hour a day some days...
But yes, the desire is understandable ;).
After all, they are my big-seller in replacementbulbs for cars (no, I'm not the Ebay- seller =) ).

• 1 month later...

I have just fitted 80w CREE DRL'S they look the business. They have 4 forward facing chips and 4 lots of 3 outward facing chips which reflect off the housing really well to give a good light emission from side on unlike the 10w bulbs I had

I have just fitted 80w CREE DRL'S they look the business. They have 4 forward facing chips and 4 lots of 3 outward facing chips which reflect off the housing really well to give a good light emission from side on unlike the 10w bulbs I hadSent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Do you have any pictures? Trying to decide which ones to buy for my upcoming monte :)

I will get some sorted tomorrow. In the dark they are very bright so don't really show their daylight potential. At £35 they aren't cheap though!

Jonro - how do these Cree's compare to the £22 ones you'd previously recommended? (and which I bought and installed into my Fabia).

Edited by FabFabFabia