Yeti stuck in the mud

Sanqhar

I agree Johann, but he is not giving the Haldex a chance to work, we can't see what the wheels are doing on the other side, the driver stops as soon as the wheels start to spin, but in saying that both L/H wheels are spinning....so maybe tyres.

Down to the driver on that one I think, using a but more momentum may have gotten the Yeti through it. Although it is very easy sitting here to say that....

The factory supplied tyres can get slick with mud very easily.

Hmmm, someone has never been off roading before....what an idiot :rofl:

Well, he IS French :giggle:

Ah makes perfect sense then - i had no sound on so couldn't hear the noise of the engine being revved pointlessly, or the french monotones. :giggle:

Firstly, I don't think he knew what he was doing.

Secondly, he doesn't understand the Yeti 4x4 system.

(and I've seen Freelander owners do the same thing, before we then taught them)

Rockhopper is right in that as soon as he senses the wheels are slipping he is off the power, and for the Haldex to work you have to keep it on, getting them all spinning and then letting the "brains" sort it out.

From experience I can say it does work, BUT it goes against what we always used to teach and it "feels" wrong, until you suddenly find it has worked!

And James that was on the standard Dunlops!!

Edited by Llanigraham

He had forward momentum, but threw it away by trying to get out of the rut too soon. Staying in the rut a few feet more to get a little more speed before turning the wheel would'ave done it.

Easy enuff for me to say, sitting here, out of the crud.

The language sounds East European, Russian maybe, but not French.

My Bigfoot is my first 4x4 and I would be interested to hear the wisdom of others as to how to get the Haldex to give its best -basic technique only so I can tackle not too challenging stuff-Pub overflow car park stuff rather than Darien gap at this stage!

I feel a trip coming on to Wales to see GGG-llanigraham for some lessons as I suspect I might have been stuck in this same fashion having never owned a 4x4 of any desciption before! I have a tent and will sleep in your garden Graham! Name the date and place! :rofl:

I do feel another Allams Yeti adventure coming on...

Salisbury Plains perhaps....

I've been there a few times and it's a good test and the scenery is lovely, plus you often see cool military vehicles around.

n581837888_2206325_3934244.jpg

n581837888_2206329_7543261.jpg

n581837888_2206344_3264635.jpg

n581837888_2206367_4303117.jpg

n581837888_2206371_3359756.jpg

n581837888_2206369_4110767.jpg

A few photos of one of my previous outings.

It can get fairly muddy in places but a lot of it is dusty in the summer.

It is very easy to get lost there so I'll have to get a guide to come along with us.

I do feel another Allams Yeti adventure coming on...

Salisbury Plains perhaps....

I've been there a few times and it's a good test and the scenery is lovely, plus you often see cool military vehicles around.

A few photos of one of my previous outings.

It can get fairly muddy in places but a lot of it is dusty in the summer.

It is very easy to get lost there so I'll have to get a guide to come along with us.

OH yes!!!! My Yeti is itching to get THAT muddy!!! :thumbup:

Let's not mince words about this guy. He's useless!!!! Just making the troughs deeper by repeatedly spinning the wheels going backwards and forwards.

If he simply kept the front wheels straight he would get more grip. You see people doing this in snow. Once the front wheels are turned grip is greattly reduced.

I've got to get me and the missus trained up in 4x4 driving so that we can keep the Yeti going when we get more snow next winter.

I have driven 4x4 before and know there is a real knack to getting the best from them in slippery conditions. Plus it's really scary having the whole car move about rather than just one end with a 2wd car.

Damn, can't see the photo here at work!!

Yeti Adventure Wales is currently in the planning stage, people, so watch this space.

Sorry Johann, but we don't have a garden but I do have a friend who runs a camping and caravan site in Llanidloes, so a weekend is possible.

James,

through my contacts being a member of the national Motoring Committee of the CSMA I have a useful set of marked maps for The Plain. We've run a couple of 4x4 Scatter Hunts down there. I won the first one we held in my first Freelander, having only owned it 4 days!! There were a few upset modified 4x4 owners!!

Yeti Adventure Wales is currently in the planning stage, people, so watch this space.

Sorry Johann, but we don't have a garden but I do have a friend who runs a camping and caravan site in Llanidloes, so a weekend is possible.

Even if you had had a garden I'd not have considered camping in it! LOL

But tres good on the Yeti Adventure Wales! Just need to get the date fixed sooner than later please, summer weekends are getting filled up fast!

Damn, can't see the photo here at work!!

James,

through my contacts being a member of the national Motoring Committee of the CSMA I have a useful set of marked maps for The Plain. We've run a couple of 4x4 Scatter Hunts down there. I won the first one we held in my first Freelander, having only owned it 4 days!! There were a few upset modified 4x4 owners!!

Looking forward to hearing more about the Welsh Adventure.

How are the maps stored? They hard copies or PDF? I've got a map of the Plains but they aren't very good. I've marked on it myself various things but it isn't ideal. Maybe we can arrange a Yeti Adventure in the summer there?

Looking forward to hearing more about the Welsh Adventure.

How are the maps stored? They hard copies or PDF? I've got a map of the Plains but they aren't very good. I've marked on it myself various things but it isn't ideal. Maybe we can arrange a Yeti Adventure in the summer there?

James, map is the proper paper type!!

We've run 3 Scatter Hunts down there, all to MSA regs, of course, and they were good fun. I'm sure we only won the first because we could plot all the references very quickly, and my navigator was good.

Yeti Adventure Wales this year will be a bit more extreme than last years, but I have to check a couple of BOATS first.

Yeti Adventure Wales this year will be a bit more extreme than last years, but I have to check a couple of BOATS first.

Sounds interesting. Do you know roughly what month you're planning on doing this? I would like to join you and I should have my 4x4 in a month or two which I'm planning on taking down to Morocco & Western Sahara. A Welsh adventure would be a good test to make sure everything is in working order on whatever I end up with. Sadly can't be a Yeti demo as I'm sure they'd miss having the Yeti available for demos for a couple of weeks.

Unless I can convince SkodaUK to give me one.... Hmmmm.... :giggle:

Sounds interesting. Do you know roughly what month you're planning on doing this? I would like to join you and I should have my 4x4 in a month or two which I'm planning on taking down to Morocco & Western Sahara. A Welsh adventure would be a good test to make sure everything is in working order on whatever I end up with. Sadly can't be a Yeti demo as I'm sure they'd miss having the Yeti available for demos for a couple of weeks.

Unless I can convince SkodaUK to give me one.... Hmmmm.... :giggle:

Well it won't be May or August as we are away in France over my long weekends then, so either July or September, but I need to check first.

I like the sounds of this, because the very first Yeti Adventure that Graham organised was an undoubted success, despite the fact that, at the end, we had four beige Yetis to prove we'd been!!

Late June/July would be good - and the scenery round here is just great. Photography would be an added bonus - in fact, we could have a photographic competition for pics taken during the Adventure....?

Get to it Graham!! (and if we get enough, we COULD have a singing session, too!!)

Edited by Freshacre

Here is a little hint.

You can drive through that gate, passed a very famous Welsh broadcaster's viewpoint.

My link

Edited by Llanigraham

Here is a little hint.

You can drive through that gate, passed a very famous Welsh broadcaster's viewpoint.

My link

Oh Graham - Ah Graham - you do not know, for how can you, that this very spot is hallowed ground for this Yeti driver. For this very viewpoint was my late wife Sally's favourite view - anywhere. Bless you. Jeez, how can a photo make an old man shed a tear!