VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

VOSA have now received enough information on the injector defects and do not require any more reports to be sent in us.

If you have suffered or think that you may experiance this fault in the future, you should contact the relevant customer support group for your vehicle type.

Volkswagen (Tel 0800 0833914)

Jenny Boyd

Stefan Elliott

Audi (Tel 0800 699888)

Victoria Carter

Isabelle

Lindley

Jane Jones

Seat (Tel 0500 222222) & Skoda (Tel 08457 745745)

Simon Ackroyd

Ian Walsh Osm

VOSA has now received enough information on the injector defect and does not require anymore reports to be sent into us.

If you have suffered or think that you may experience this fault in the future, you should contact the relevant customer support group for your vehicle type.

Jenny Boyd

Stefan Elliot

Audi (Tel 0800 699888)

Victoria Carter

Isabelle Lindley

Jane Jones

Simon Ackroyd

Ian Walsh OSM

In Romania there is the same problem with the injectors. For now, VW Romania only replaces for free the faulty injectors, not all of them.

The main problem with the new injectors, from what I know and read, is that the new Continental injectors are the same construction with the incriminated Siemens. Why I say that.

Because:

1. Continental bought Siemens injector division last year and the new injectors are only being branded differently, but having the identical technical construction as before (they are the same Siemens only with a different brand written on it)

2. I own in Romania a Passat which has the same injector problems. I talked with a guy who repair these injectors and he told me that he had in his workshop for repairing the new Continental injectors.

So, even if VW is changing the faulty injectors or all the injectors with new ones, the problem will persist. The engine will cut of the same, but not in one month, but in 1-2-3 years, as it did before...

Edited by geovadim

Interesting. I was told by john Fitch at VOSA that the new Continental part is a modified version and that VAG identified what was wrong with the Siemens type and put it right. He said that the new type injector will not fail in the same way as the Piezo's.

Mybe VOSA official can confirm this?

Onmeheadson, I am a journalist in Romania and I also sent some minutes ago an e-mail to V.O.S.A. asking the same thing. I want to verify the information obtained from the mechanic: are the new Continental injectors the same only branded differently or are they different products that fixed the issue? This is the most important thing. Maybe V.O.S.A. can tell officially.

I am at the second damaged injector. The first one broke in my town (Bucharest) but the second one while traveling in Bulgaria heading for Greece together with my family (wife and two kids 2 and 4 years). Imagine stoping in a not so developed country, with people not understanding English, at 37 Celsius grades, with little water, on an low circulated national road. It was very hard to get out of there... VW must fix the issue or face the legal consequences. I want to find out clearly: are the new injectors the same or not, and after that (if they are the same) to go to Court and in press with this problem.

Edited by geovadim

Onmeheadson, I am a journalist in Romania and I also sent some minutes ago an e-mail to V.O.S.A. asking the same thing. I want to verify the information obtained from the mechanic: are the new Continental injectors the same only branded differently or are they different products that fixed the issue? This is the most important thing. Maybe V.O.S.A. can tell officially.

I am at the second damaged injector. The first one broke in my town (Bucharest) but the second one while traveling in Bulgaria or Greece together with my family (wife and two kids 2 and 4 years). Imagine stoping in a not so developed country, with people not understanding English, at 37 Celsius grades, with little water, on an low circulated national road. It was very hard to get out of there... VW must fix the issue or face the legal consequences. I want to find out clearly: are the new injectors the same or not, and after that (if they are the same) to go to Court and in press with this problem.

Best of luck geovadim. I think we all would be very interested to find this out. Please let us know how you get on. As i said in my last post i was told by VOSA that the new injectors have been modified by VAG but are they telling the truth, who knows.

I am at the second damaged injector. The first one broke in my town (Bucharest) but the second one while traveling in Bulgaria heading for Greece together with my family (wife and two kids 2 and 4 years). Imagine stoping in a not so developed country, with people not understanding English, at 37 Celsius grades, with little water, on an low circulated national road. It was very hard to get out of there... VW must fix the issue or face the legal consequences. I want to find out clearly: are the new injectors the same or not, and after that (if they are the same) to go to Court and in press with this problem.

I will be interested to know what injectors they are replacing them with too. :doh: Still waiting for my phone call from Simon Acroyd at Skoda UK :( . I was told he would reply within 48hrs. That runs out noon tomorrow (thurs 15th). I will be straight on the phone if I havent heard from him by then.Sorry to hear about geovadim's experience. Cant have been fun. It cant be long before a serious accident occurs,then they will have to take notice and inform everyone affected or a re-call.On a personal note I intend to hound them untill i get a satisfactory result. Interesting that VOSA have apperared on this forum telling us that they have had enough info on this problem!! In fairness my correspondance with John Fitch has been excellent so far.

Will post some more info after phone call from Skoda

jerbear, if the new injectors are the same with the old one and will break the same you must gather here and make a general lawsuit against VW. I will try the same in Romania, if I will be sure that the replacement parts are as bad as the ones they change. I think they are joking with us.

I am originally from the Audi-sport.net forum, and I am one of only 2 people I know so far who have had a "new" injector fail. I put it down to bad luck, but if the injectors are in fact the same, and there is no such "double seal", then I'd be interested to see what their response is.

Personally I think it has taken too long already, and the fact VAG are ignoring customers in other countries altogether indicates they are just carrying out a damage control and waiting till these cars slowly disappear off the road in the ownership of oblivious customers...

I don't think there will be a recall until someone gets hurt and sues very publicly.

Please message me and I can pass you details of all the other forums I know are involved, please check the facebook page too!

I will be interested to know what injectors they are replacing them with too. :doh: Still waiting for my phone call from Simon Acroyd at Skoda UK :( . I was told he would reply within 48hrs. That runs out noon tomorrow (thurs 15th). I will be straight on the phone if I havent heard from him by then.Sorry to hear about geovadim's experience. Cant have been fun. It cant be long before a serious accident occurs,then they will have to take notice and inform everyone affected or a re-call.On a personal note I intend to hound them untill i get a satisfactory result. Interesting that VOSA have apperared on this forum telling us that they have had enough info on this problem!! In fairness my correspondance with John Fitch has been excellent so far.

Will post some more info after phone call from Skoda

Simon told me he would be on holiday until Friday when i spoke to him on Monday , so you should hear from him then

Wed 14 Sep 2011 14:56 Audi / VW/ Seat / Skoda - VAG 2.0 tdi injector information - VOSA

VOSA have now received enough information on the injector defects and do not require any more reports to be sent in us.

If you have suffered or think that you may experiance this fault in the future, you should contact the relevant customer support group for your vehicle type.

Jenny Boyd

Stefan Elliott

Audi (Tel 0800 699888)

Victoria Carter

Isabelle

Lindley

Jane Jones

Simon Ackroyd

Ian Walsh Osm

Wed 14 Sep 2011 14:56 Audi / VW/ Seat / Skoda - VAG 2.0 tdi injector information - VOSA

Jenny Boyd

Stefan Elliott

Audi (Tel 0800 699888)

Victoria Carter

Isabelle

Lindley

Jane Jones

Simon Ackroyd

Ian Walsh Osm

Thanks, you said that 4 times now. What you haven't mentioned is what notice is being sent out to owners who don't know about the defect and are still driving. Because it seems that VAG is only catering for people who know about the issue already.

I suspect you will a) not respond and B) copy and paste your only post again.

Thanks, you said that 4 times now. What you haven't mentioned is what notice is being sent out to owners who don't know about the defect and are still driving. Because it seems that VAG is only catering for people who know about the issue already.

I suspect you will a) not respond and B) copy and paste your only post again.

And whether or not VOSA can confirm that the replacement injectors have benn modified or not?

EMAILED MY DEALER AND GOT THE FOLLOWING....

Hi Jason

I received a bulletin with reference to this on 08/09/2011 from Skoda technical, and it states clearly that yes injectors will be replaced if a problem occurs with them, but only if a problem occurs. So should your vehicle develop a fault and it is diagnosed that the injectors are at fault then Skoda will give a gesture of good will and replaced all 4 injectors – But only if you have a faulty injector . It is not a product enhancement / recall.

I do hope this helps .

Kind Regards

After Sales manager

Caffyns Skoda plc

Is the map only for deletion of the dpf or is it for performance aswell?

Awesam, I enquired with Celtic tuning about getting the car remapped and the DPF removal done, and they said that DPF removal only increases performance if the unit is very clogged up (if it is the car will be noticably sharper once PDF is removed). Otherwise its only the remap that will increase the performance of the car.

Have you had any further issues with the DPF or have you had it sorted?

Did you contact Skoda Customer Services about the possibiility of a faulty sensor, what did they say?

My light has come on a few times since my last post but a 70+mph spin down the motorway in 5th for 7-10mins has managed to sort it so far. I've noticed that the DPF light tends to come on if I've been out for short spins in the car as oppposed to travelling half hour back and forth to work each day.

I think that a moderator should delete the posts of 'vosa official'. It is obvious that he tries to stop the discussion and the actions against vv, he is not a vosa offocial, he is maybe a vw official.

Hes posted on a forum i admin on and he is a Vosa Official, His email address is a vosa.gov.uk address and the I.P Address is a Cable & Wireless connection attached to a gov.uk domain

Yes, you are right, VOSA did their job and VW are changing for free, as I read here.

I contacted Volkswagen AG today by phone and I will send them a letter about my situation. I will also ask them in this document if the new injectors are safe or not. I hope to come back with an official answer directly from them, if they will provide it.

Sure, but as VOSA, THEY should be contacting people potentially affected instead of asking people who already know about the problem and who "think" they will be affected in the future to call the numbers.

They should be contacting all the owners and inform them of the case and THEN let the owners decide whether they "think they will be affected in the future"... not silence the people on the forum trying to get a resolution that benefits the obliviouis majority (who most likely are still paying up for this repair, because they don't hang around forums enough)...