VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

Latest news: new injectors have done total of 185 miles now. Driving back from work on motorway averaged 44.3mpg but took it steady, no heavy pedal stuff, just calm driving up to 70'ish - I can live with that. So maybe 35mpg is normal around town? I'll keep monitoring it.

Sounds about right

Before Injector change i used to get an average of 30-32mpg round MK and 40-42mpg on Motorway (Mixture of smooth and heavy driving)

Now with new injectors 34-36mpg in MK and 44-46 on Motorway

I managed 52mpg once on a motorway run to scotland and 51 on a A Road cruize

Fab result, Skoda customer service is indeed second to none. I've been nothing short of amazed at the way I've been treated recently.

I'm not sure I'd call 2.5mpg noticeably down? Wet roads, a headwind, extended inclines, a drop in temperature, a harder working AC compressor etc. etc. can all contribute to minor variations in MPG...

Do bear in mind that this was a journey of 780 miles (in one sitting) not short UK hops. As we travel to and from Czech 3-4 times per year (usual travel distance 975 miles each way), we have a pretty good handle on how the car performs, whether in winter tyres in the snow/sleet, or in the baking heat of summer. So 2.5 MPG down was a noticeable drop, and actually left us 30 miles short of our Luxembourg fuel stop (£1 per litre!). So I do think it is a significant drop. I will, however, keep an eye on how it performs over the next couple of months, and worry about it after that time.

Before Injector change i used to get an average of 30-32mpg round MK and 40-42mpg on Motorway (Mixture of smooth and heavy driving)

On the Leon or do you also have an Octavia? Might be handy to update your profile :thumbup:

Dropped my car off 4.30pm yesterday got it back diner time today after injectors replaced,asked if there was a take it easy period and was told no just drive how you always do,asked if they had had any problems in the past with other cars they have done and was told no and problems only occur if the job has not been done properly.

...problems only occur if the job has not been done properly.

Well I rest my case then! As Tech1e and I have probably come to the conclusion it's about whether the mechanic is adjusting the injectors properly that seems to affect whether problems occur or not.

The question is now, do we that have got the problems get the dealership to check the adjustment again or just leave it and accept things the way they are? Or do we get a non-Skoda dealer to look at the adjustment? Don't suppose you'd check em would you Tech1e?

Edited by Skoda convert

Maybe contact Skoda UK. When mine were changed they contacted me to make sure i was happy.

The trouble is though is that they will only tell you take it back to the dealer. But they may want to get involved to make sure you are happy.

My 2007 VRS Diesel died on the way home from holiday in August last year and eventually had new injectors all paid for by Skoda.

My average MPG improved significantly from about 35mpg to round 43.5mpg.

Today I had a call that my car was on the list of cars being recalled for new injectors. I explained that I only had new injectors paid for by Skoda only 4 months ago and they said it was probably best to bring it in for the recall work anyway to be on the safe side and also because the recall work includes more than just the injectors (wiring etc as well). I don't mind as I needed to book it in for a service anyway!

Regards,

Jon

I'd previously ignored this thread as it seemed that it was only the 170 engines. I've noticed on other forums that its also the 140 in VW. Is it the same with the Skodas? ie is mine effected? (56 plate 4x4 140)If so, what happens now? I'm not the original owner and its has been serviced, but not by Skoda.

Edited by P20

I'd previously ignored this thread as it seemed that it was only the 170 engines. I've noticed on other forums that its also the 140 in VW. Is it the same with the Skodas? ie is mine effected? (56 plate 4x4 140)If so, what happens now? I'm not the original owner and its has been serviced, but not by Skoda.

The precise specs of the various 2.0 TDi engines differed quite a bit between VAG marques and models, and no it doesn't affect the PD140 engine in any Octavia. The Octavia PD140s use solenoid injectors similar to the 1.9 engines and aren't subject to this problem.

My 2007 VRS Diesel died on the way home from holiday in August last year and eventually had new injectors all paid for by Skoda.

My average MPG improved significantly from about 35mpg to round 43.5mpg.

Today I had a call that my car was on the list of cars being recalled for new injectors. I explained that I only had new injectors paid for by Skoda only 4 months ago and they said it was probably best to bring it in for the recall work anyway to be on the safe side and also because the recall work includes more than just the injectors (wiring etc as well). I don't mind as I needed to book it in for a service anyway!

Regards,

Jon

Quite right, as it's a recall now we have to get them all in even if it's only to place a sticker in the boot to say the recall has been carried out.

The precise specs of the various 2.0 TDi engines differed quite a bit between VAG marques and models, and no it doesn't affect the PD140 engine in any Octavia. The Octavia PD140s use solenoid injectors similar to the 1.9 engines and aren't subject to this problem.

Cheers Nick. :thumbup:

As I stated yesterday had recall work carried out, this morning no starting probs, no dpf light in fact no probs at all seems to be running just the same as before ,sweet as a nut !

Farmers Skoda are now chasing me for a copy of my service history.....why?

My MPG isn't great, couldn't get beyond 50mpg on a motorway run tonight, that's sitting around 65mph.....is this related to injectors? I'm struggling beyond 33mpg around town.

Ask them why they want it, the recall is not influenced by the cars service history so it is of no relevance to them.

My PD170 vRS does between 50-53mpg at 65-75mph at this time of year (winter diesel and colder temperatures) so your MPG sounds normal to me.

Ask them why they want it, the recall is not influenced by the cars service history so it is of no relevance to them.

My PD170 vRS does between 50-53mpg at 65-75mph at this time of year (winter diesel and colder temperatures) so your MPG sounds normal to me.

Yup. Since having my injectors done, the mpg on my daily commute has jumped from 43mpg to 52ish :thumbup:. No more lumpy tickover and car pulls smooth in every gear.

Could the people suffering problems following the swap out come from the dealers simply not going the job right? I can't imagine its a regular job on a car, my dealer i used mentioned that they hadnt done any before..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Could the people suffering problems following the swap out come from the dealers simply not going the job right? I can't imagine its a regular job on a car, my dealer i used mentioned that they hadnt done any before..

Which dealer did you use? I notice that your from Lincoln which is the dealer I used. Mine was the first car Dennis Horton had done and I've had no probs with the car whatsoever.

Hope you are right but inside

Honest John website in the 'Skoda What's bad' this is what you read at the bottom of the page :

All Vag models with the 2.0 tdi from around 2005 fitted with the Siemens injectors are subject to a recall.

Which dealer did you use? I notice that your from Lincoln which is the dealer I used. Mine was the first car Dennis Horton had done and I've had no probs with the car whatsoever.

It was Hortons .... When i booked it in they said they hadn't done one before too! Mine were swapped out quite a while before the official recall though..

No problems for me either.

Edited by rustyGT

It was Hortons .... When i booked it in they said they hadn't done one before too! Mine were swapped out quite a while before the official recall though..

No problems for me either.

Out of interest when did you have yours done? Mine was done on the 14th of December.