VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

Others have noticed that their DPF's have been regening more often since the injector change.

A rough idle can be associated with a regen, perhaps your car is simply performing a regeneration of the DPF?

when i got car back it carried out a dpf regen within 2 hours of having the injectors replaced and yes did get the lumpy idle and drops in power. Cleared the light but took longer then usual (thought it was never going to go off). Must admit it feels like it is going to go to another dpf regen but hasnt yet but it has felt like this for the last few days.

Reading back through this subject it appears that we vRS owners are either happy with our cars or wish we had bought something else typically those with cars that run well and those that don't. I did have lots problems from new - see below quote which was originally posted in 'Injectors and the DPF'

[.......When I took delivery of my car back in early 2007 I had 3 months of hell. It was rare to drive more than 75 miles without either the DPF or glow plug lights coming on even during motorway driving. No faults were recorded and dealer was as frustrated as me. Eventually the ECU was changed on the advice of SUK - I then had a different car and have only had the DPF light come on once since then and I suspect that was due to being stuck in a major slow moving Motorway snarl up for 3 hours!

Two other things - my dealer is also a Superchips agent and suggested driving quality and fuel consumption was likely to show an improvement in a modified car. I went the Bluefin route and to say I am impressed is an understatement. Performance, flexibility and fuel consumption is fantastic - ignoring the first 1000 crap miles my car has now averaged just on 49MPG for the last 47,000 miles. The other thing I was 'unofficially' recommended was Millers diesel additive, this however was not a surprise to me as I have used it since 1993 in all my previous diesel cars.......]

Thinking a bit more about this is there something more than just a problem with injectors, the DPF and its various sensors? As I said above I only had the DPF light come on once in nearly 47,000 miles following the ECU change. The question is was I just lucky when my ECU was changed and why is my car now running so well since the injector change. Since the the injector change I now have a greatly improved car, the performance and fuel consumption is better than I could ever have hoped for. I have now just done over 700 miles since the change and the average fuel consumption is just over 56MPG with one 320 mile round trip returning better than 60MPG. I have done this particular journey more than 20 times in the past 4 years and never had better than 52MPG. All my MPG figures are based on brimming the fuel tank not the on board computer so I am suprised but very pleased with improvement. The big question is why?

Ok happy with just having received the cheque for the injector replacement and also having all injectors and loom replaced. Dpf went mental the first week after replacement _ went off 7 times in the first week of replacement which it never did before on the exact same routes. Had an exhaust pressure sensor replaced which sorted it for a bit but is still giving me grief. Dpf came on yesterday but today has not come on @ all. I am aware about the regen thing but this car is becoming much more unreliable. Is my dpf on its way out and should I get rid of the car? I'm Glasgow based and very pixxxd off with this now. It's made me late and stuck in traffic 3 times in the last 2 weeks in order to regen this thing but have never had these issues before injector replacemenct. Peed off.

As I understand it the increased frequency of the DPF regen's is a relatively short term issue.

If you read back through this thread others have experienced the same issues but most have sorted themselves out over time.

As I understand it the increased frequency of the DPF regen's is a relatively short term issue.

I'm sorry chaps and I don't want to speak to soon but it appears the "DPF regen" thing that's been mentioned often on this thread since the injectors were replaced isn't an issue with my car! In fact I've never had a regen issue since owning it, 1.5 years now. Maybe it's because I always ensure to keep the revs at least 1500 whichever gear I'm in. I'm amazed at "TRIPLES S" mpg though, I've never got more than 45 and now it's not as good since the injectors were changed but I've still got another 60 miles of bedding in yet. Maybe afterwards I might get it blue-finned to improve the mpg, not sure quite what that is yet or how it would affect the insurance, any tips?

Edited by Skoda convert

It all seems very strange.

I too haven't had any DPF issues since having the injectors replaced, no obvious regens and certainly no dash lights.

I noticed an instant improvement in MPG, as in the journy home from the dealers, from an average of 49MPG to 53MPG.

My only issue is the cold starting problems I mentioned and they are detailed in another thread. Directly related to the injector change? I'll never really know.

It sounds to me as though the injector change can have a profound effect on the way the engine runs and is affecting different cars / driving styles in different ways.

Do these Injectors need " Bedding in " Mines in on the 10th Jan 2012 for new ones fitted

It seems not everyone has been advised the same, my Skoda dealer advised me to allow 150 miles of gentle driving (a challenge I know!!) to allow the injectors to "bed-in" so that's what I'm trying to do, only resisted temptation once so far! Not long to go now but not heard this from any other's, so not sure if they're trying to protect themselves or what?

When my injectors got replaced the dealership mentioned nothing about "bedding" the injectors in!! I've just driven the car as normal and everything seems to be fine. I'm not a mechanic but I am an engineer and I'm struggling to see why you would need to bed that type of component in. Anyone know why?

Never heard of that myself and nor have I had any info from Skoda advising such.

I can assure you this is what Skoda (Simpsons) at Preston advised me to do, in fact they first said allow 100 to 200 miles for the injectors to bed-in! I queried why and how poor the mpg was since they'd been changed and the guy said it normally takes 150 miles for the mpg and the engine to settle down, whatever that means, maybe the stability of the ECU? Personally I don't mind the small sacrifice of waiting 150 miles if the mpg and car's performance are better for it!

I know some owners who haven't been told this and used the car as normal and had all sorts of problems including EDF regen issues. I have no EDF problems (fingers crossed!) my only issue at the moment is it doesn't like starting 1st time from cold either when it's sub-zero or if it's been left on the drive for more than a day. It didn't have this problem before the injectors were changed.

Edited by Skoda convert

Booked in for new injectors next week.

Lets see if i'm told to take it handy once fitted. Sounds like pish to me, we've changed injectors on rallies before and done stages straight away with no issues. At the end of the day, they either work or they don't.

I can assure you this is what Skoda (Simpsons) at Preston advised me to do, in fact they first said allow 100 to 200 miles for the injectors to bed-in! I queried why and how poor the mpg was since they'd been changed and the guy said it normally takes 150 miles for the mpg and the engine to settle down, whatever that means, maybe the stability of the ECU? Personally I don't mind the small sacrifice of waiting 150 miles if the mpg and car's performance are better for it!

I know some owners who haven't been told this and used the car as normal and had all sorts of problems including EDF regen issues. I have no EDF problems (fingers crossed!) my only issue at the moment is it doesn't like starting 1st time from cold either when it's sub-zero or if it's been left on the drive for more than a day. It didn't have this problem before the injectors were changed.

I'll check tomorrow, but none of the cars I've done injectors on have had DPF issues, touch wood.

Thought I'd add my experience.

Car taken in today as engine light on, that's a faulty exhaust sensor which is being changed.

But the guy at Autosales, Bilston said that there is a recall on my car and the injectors will be changed free off charge and will be ready to collect tomorrow.

Can't say fairer than that.

My car is in 4th jan to have injectors inspected for some part no , to see if my injectors are the dodgy ones according to my dealer not all 08 pd 170 engines are affected.

My car is in 4th jan to have injectors inspected for some part no , to see if my injectors are the dodgy ones according to my dealer not all 08 pd 170 engines are affected.

Correct, only one particular part number is effected.

However most the the M suffix injectors, but seen a few that have already had some or all injectors replaced.

Update on the Czech Skoda experience (referring to me on page 32); the car was repaired FOC, and we also paid nothing for the pickup and the weeks "car hire". Today, we drove home from Pilzner (near the Czech/German border) some 780 miles, and the MPG was noticeably down (having previously achieved 44.5, and today not exceeding 42). However, we were fully laden and using winter tyres, so only time will tell. Bloody good Skoda service, however, and we are eternally thankful!

Fab result, Skoda customer service is indeed second to none. I've been nothing short of amazed at the way I've been treated recently.

...and the MPG was noticeably down (having previously achieved 44.5, and today not exceeding 42).

I'm not sure I'd call 2.5mpg noticeably down? Wet roads, a headwind, extended inclines, a drop in temperature, a harder working AC compressor etc. etc. can all contribute to minor variations in MPG...

I'm not sure I'd call 2.5mpg noticeably down?

Well although I've driven past the controversial 150 miles on new injectors my average mpg now according to on-board computer is a mere 35! Over Christmas break only failed to start engine once, am now keeping key turned for longer to encourage first time start, will monitor this.

Doesn't sound right at all, strange these issues people are having. I must have done some 20 sets at least now and not had issue at all, fingers crossed though as there is always a first.

But to be fair Tech1e you only have a 1.4 and not a 2.0 litre engine, I would expect you to have a far better mpg