Roof rail trim

hmibennett

It is nothing to do with the rails, but the decorative cap on the ends of the mountings, which is the same with either.

And as I've said, this is not just a Skoda problem.

If people are that worried stick some glue on the plastic inserts, as to be honest, you are never going to need to take them off!

Not sure (Graham will know) but I don't think the British Sale of Goods law applies in Israel.

That's just a guess . . . :hi:

I realise that, but there are others with the same prob in this country.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

My right rear end cap fell off today, somewhere between Bluewater and my house (about a mile!). I'll contact my dealer tomorrow. Bit depressing on a 3 week old car. Hopefully this'll be the only warranty claim I make.

Chris

My right rear end cap fell off today, somewhere between Bluewater and my house (about a mile!). I'll contact my dealer tomorrow. Bit depressing on a 3 week old car. Hopefully this'll be the only warranty claim I make.

Chris

Hi Chris

Hope you got a positive answer from your dealer. I'm still waiting for my free trim replacement- it was not in stock- after all it's not a part to be changed frequently.

Interesting that your car and mine are aprox. the same age, and the trim is the same (right / rear). Is it due to a bad batch of trims !? Anyway, I think Skoda Auto should be informed about- if they were not informed by now from precedent cases due of ordering a non frequent service part, by different dealers from different countries.

Meanwhile I managed to secure the 3 other ones with plastic ties for electrical cables. The problem is the trims and the metal ends of the rails don't have prallel lines all way long, so the ties tend to slide towards the narrower side. So I thought to tie them with an adhesive black tape such as for electrical isolation- but it's not all weather resistant.

Today I bought a piece of "ORAFOL - Oracal 651" black adhesive sheet, for outdoor graphics- specified to resist up to +80 deg C, from wich I have cut 20 mm wide strips to use them as adhesive tape. Let's hope it ages well in Israel's tough weather. Remains to be seen how it passes the brushes of the car washing station.

http://www.orafol.co...oductSearch=651

I know it looks silly securing parts on a new reputable brand car, but I wonder how many times the dealer would accept replacing for free- dissapearing parts from my car. Anyway, I'll aknowledge Skoda Auto about this issue and see how they will deal with it.

Let's continue enjoying our Yetis and not let this trim spoil our fun !

Rafael

Edited by rafi_arch

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the message. Going in Saturday to get it replaced. Apparantly one end cap was missing when the car arrived at the dealer before I picked it up and they had to fit it before I collected it.

I've checked the other 3 and they all seem to be on tight. Only thing I can think of doing is super gluing them on, but I don't really want to do that.

Chris

Same here ! Replaced Thursday under warranty.

From what I could see on the inside of the trim- there are some guiding flat pins and one or two "hook" shaped flat pins meant to "click" into position with the notches in the black metal base, aside the general "C shaped" section of the trim that is meant to grasp the "L shaped" section of the metal base on top and left or right bottom. Surprising is the fact that those "hooks" looked to me having a very small "step" to hook in the notches. Indeed there was just a slight "click" sound when it was put into position. It makes me wonder about the force those "hooks" can bear. According to the rounded surface of the trims- they are exposed to suction forces when driving fast- same as the upper surface of airplane wing. Of course this trim also got its own adhesive tape- just in case !

About further free service if problem repeats- I was told that as long as no dents or signs of intentional dismantling of the trims will be evident- they (service) will replace the trims for free. Although they were amused and enchanted to see the trims taped...

Yetis are whole again ! Sorry boring you with this academic research on "roof rail trims" !

• 2 weeks later...

Front nearside went missing this last week! :@

Despite having checked them several times after following this thread for some time, my front Nearside went missing after a short journey of only 8 miles and despite looking could not be found.

Today, Simpsons of Preston replaced it FOC [Warranty] whilst in for the Turbo and badge recalls. I did mention that several other members of Briskoda had had to have their's replaced under similar circumstances.

Anyway, having it go missing despite me having checked it most diligently every time I have washed "Tigger". I gave thought to why, after almost two years with no problems, it should go missing all of a sudden. The questions / conclusions, I formulated are:

1 - Could being in the hot sun of last week may have made the plastic trim more flexible?

2 - Is it possible that the power of a pressure washer may start a loosening process that wind and vibration complete? thus resulting in the loss of the trim

3 - As 2 above but the "Turbo Dryer's" as seen in commercial car washes may start the same process? They operate, using wind speeds in excess of 120MPH so I am told.

Only No:2 could possibly apply to me but wondered if any of these might apply to others here in this thread. What do you think? One or more of the above or something else entirely?

Well thanks to the excellent staff at Simpsons. Tigger is not only whole again but has his rear lights operating with the DRLs [thanks to the service tech's] and two service recalls completed. So I treated him to the two year service plan (2 X Service - 2 X MOTs + MOT protection - Dust & Pollen Filter - Fuel Filter - Air Filter - Break Fluid change - Spark Plugs) all for £299. A Fantastic Deal! :sun:

If anyone wants to see the current leaflets on the service plan I will post them if asked..............Tony (AKA The Great Yeti)

Edited by Great Yeti

• 2 weeks later...

...and it's gone again :-(

Sorry about that !

But Iv'e suggested here: tie them or better- tape them with an all weather tape or foil (2 per each trim)- as I did. So far so good.

No Snow Monster was harmed during this procedure. Furthermore, no one asked me yet about those tapes on my new car- I doubt if people notice them.

I wouldn't suggest Superglueing them, also I doubt if dealers / service personell would accept doing that as IMO it may void warranty. Superglueing can be messy...

Good luck with a new replacement !

3rd time lucky... Had trim refitted this morning. Th emechanic adjusted the posistion of the rail slightly, so hopefully the trim will stay attached this time.

I must admit, Essex Auto Group in Rayeigh have been very good about sorting the problem for me.

Another Yeti loses its roof rail trim. Went out this morning with all trims in place arrived home this afternoon with the drivers side rear trim missing! The only clue I have as to where I might have lost it is that just after pulling away from traffic lights leaving Nottingham the driver behind flashed his lights at me several times then as he passed me he gesticulated and waved at me - at the time I thought he was either a Yeti fan or thought he knew me, but looking back he was probably trying to tell me that a bit of my car had fallen off!

E-Mailed the dealer in Chesterfield with a photo of the missing bit so hopefully it will be quickly replaced under warranty.

Is it always the same trim (right hand rear - right side looking from back of car - or have others lost trim from different locations?

When I informed my dealer they just ordered a new bit under the warranty - no dramas! They fitted when I visited to collect my tow bar electrics and detachable tow bar last week - that was a really heavy bit of kit!!

Another Yeti loses its roof rail trim. Went out this morning with all trims in place arrived home this afternoon with the drivers side rear trim missing! The only clue I have as to where I might have lost it is that just after pulling away from traffic lights leaving Nottingham the driver behind flashed his lights at me several times then as he passed me he gesticulated and waved at me - at the time I thought he was either a Yeti fan or thought he knew me, but looking back he was probably trying to tell me that a bit of my car had fallen off!

E-Mailed the dealer in Chesterfield with a photo of the missing bit so hopefully it will be quickly replaced under warranty.

Is it always the same trim (right hand rear - right side looking from back of car - or have others lost trim from different locations?

As the person who started this off, I'm amazed to see how common a problem it is.

My missing piece was front nearside (no comments, please, Bobdog) and it seems that it is most often the front trim that is at risk.

Dealer is replacing missing roof trim tomorrow - told me that he had replaced 3 in total and not had to replace on the same vehicle twice. Strange one and he has no idea why they come loose despite closely examining the rail on the roof - but as he says never been able to examine the missing bit!!

Dealer is replacing missing roof trim tomorrow - told me that he had replaced 3 in total and not had to replace on the same vehicle twice. Strange one and he has no idea why they come loose despite closely examining the rail on the roof - but as he says never been able to examine the missing bit!!

Replaced today with no problems - dealer is as mystified as the rest of us! While I was in the showroom I checked the show model Yeti's for door creaks, none of those on show had any creaks and the doors seemed to be much firmer (no 'give' when I pushed doors on top edges) than those on my Yeti. Dealer said he would have a look whenever I wanted and check the door adjustment - probably wait till first service as it's not a big deal.

• 8 months later...

Lost my OSR Roof Rail Trim yesterday. I will phone the dealers later to order a replacement and enquire if it will be covered under warranty. Not hopeful!

No problem getting mine replaced under warranty - just make sure the replacement is banged on hard: I recommend the use of a rubber mallet!

The rear trim on my Yeti fell off 3 days after delivery and the dealer refused a claim under warranty. Despite my protests I was forced to pay for a replacement but the dealer did fit it for free!

• 5 weeks later...

After reading this, I tried the trims on my 6 month old Urban.

The rear ones came off very easily and no amount of banging made any difference

I took it back to Lightcliffe Skoda in Warrington and they replaced them there & then from a brand new Elegance in the showroom (which was to be the service managers compmany car)to save me waiting for a back order, great service.

The new ones are rock solid, and I think it's a problem with the moulding tooling being worn, the material, or both.