vRS Joe's Fabia I vRS - GTB Turbo!

vRS Joe

I didn't really fancy the look of the Milltec exhaust tips initially. But I have now decided the really suit the car!?

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

With a bit more persistance I'll have the 'Milltec Sport' which is written on the top of the tips rubbed off!

Please note that Union Jack is nothing to with the car - It's a rusty farm tank, somebody found some old paint and got a bit inventive one day...

• Like 1

Snap same exhaust system as me too, I'm very pleased with it also, the main reason I went for the Milltek was because I didn't like the Piper tailpipes with it stamped or embossed into them.

What's the new map like with the new turbo, much smoke??

I'm definately taking pics of your reg plates Sunday :p

Are they blanked out for you? I can see them... :p

Snap same exhaust system as me too, I'm very pleased with it also, the main reason I went for the Milltek was because I didn't like the Piper tailpipes with it stamped or embossed into them.

What's the new map like with the new turbo, much smoke??

I'm yet to notice any smoke at all during the day. I've seen the 'haze' you get at night but only when pushing it. It's less smokey than it was before with 167bhp. I haven't yet driven in temperatures above about +7 Celsius though.

When I get an up rated clutch, Darkside will tweak the map for more torque.

You can never have enough :D

I think the thing that stems through with this turbo (and I can vouch with the 2260 equivalent) is the useable power is great. It boosts up lower than a VNT17 hybrid, but also appears to hold top end boost well too. This means you get a good "under the curve" power / dyno plot.

Joe, do you know what the main differences are between your turbo and the GTB2056v? Can't seem to find much info, it seems that it would handle 250bhp, but the price seems more than a 2260... Not sure what other mods would be required either to hit 250bhp?

Edited by SimonK24

Looking good.

Will be nice to see it whizzing round at Castle Combe.

I know you don't have dyno figures, but do you have an idea what it's producing?

Thanks, I'm expecting to be lapped though by a certain Citigo!

As for power, this

In my experience, it should be about 225 to 230bhp. :) They've been getting good results with the GTB1756vk, making the stage 2 VNT17 hybrids look bad!

Joe, do you know what the main differences are between your turbo and the GTB2056v? Can't seem to find much info, it seems that it would handle 250bhp, but the price seems more than a 2260... Not sure what other mods would be required either to hit 250bhp?

I'm not sure what the exact differences are except it being 'bigger'. I read that the GTB2056v was only fitted to the North American VW Touareg 3.0TDI, therefore it's VERY rare (Something I read posted by Ryan/Scott from Darkside on TDI club I think). The latest turbo to enter the VAG 1.9D tuning scene seems to be a pair of Garrett water cooled ball bearing turbo's, the GTB2260VKLR and the GTB2060VKLR. Darkside are making a hybrid of the former!

From further reading the 2056VL is also available here, as fitted to the D5 Volvo C30's. It's also watercooled. A few on ebay second hand at the minute too....

'L' stands for liquid too on all of the Garrett units.

Anyway, back on topic.....A video would be nice Joe ;) Oh and come to JKM on Saturday for a power run!!

Edited by SimonK24
  • Like 2

So, I'm curious to find out how the modifications my car has will affect the MPG. I know I get less, but thats probably because I like using the power. I'm going to see If I can still get over 500 miles from a tank by being careful.

It will start tomorrow when I fuel up (full tank not including expansion tank).

Joe

Wanna buy my gearbox Joe :p?

Ha, it was good to meet up again today mate, the car runs very nicely, just the right amount of noise too!! Got me the itch again, big time!

Hope the hangovers cured now.

Will pm you now

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm curious to find out how the modifications my car has will affect the MPG. I know I get less, but thats probably because I like using the power. I'm going to see If I can still get over 500 miles from a tank by being careful.

It will start tomorrow when I fuel up (full tank not including expansion tank).

Joe

My figures are in

I got bored of eco driving after a couple of days and went back to POWEEER!

Anyways I got 462 miles from 44.36L which is 47.35 MPG from the first tank and then 45.46 MPG from the next. I'm still pretty chuffed with that.

At the end of the day I haven't 'added' 100bhp to increase MPG, it's all about Smiles per gallon!

• Like 2

It's not been a good day. I discovered my car is leaking oil through the oil return on the turbo and then I discovered some **** has put a large dent in my drivers door.

Hopefully I'll get the turbo sorted tomorrow. Lost about 750ml of oil so far!

Doh!

Hope you get it sorted mate, is it just a loose connection or ****** return pipe?

It's just the connection I'm told. The garage re-fitted the under tray and didn't tighten it up though, they were worried about damaging the turbo until I'd spoken to D S about it. Will sort it tomorrow.

Well, the oil leak continues. I'm going to try a new gasket between the turbo and the oil return feed, hopefully that will stop it. It's only a paper gasket and it costs about £1.

Our drive has snow on it that exceeds the ground clearance of the vRS, this is the result.

DSC_0324-1.jpg

DSC_0315-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the gasket didn't do the trick and the leak persisted.

I took it back to Darkside, turns out the turbo was leaking and its had to have a new one. Hopefully that will sort it.

It's had stronger ARL head bolts too as a precaution against head lift, it had lost a wee bit of coolant. Also it's had a new top boost pipe as the old one didn't clear the headlight properly, leaving no space for the backing plate.

Hopefully the oil leak will stop now!

• Like 1