gap insurance

punched in a very quick quote for my VRS thats coming, roughly 120 pounds, a looot cheaper than the dealerships.

Edited by AshP

errmmm...whats the "best" gap cover to get?

I assume "replacement car" would be the best and the most expensive on premiums?

return to invoice wouldn't buy me a new vRS as I got mine on the 20% off deal.

any advice would be great :thumbup:

Click4Gap looked good initially but then it became clear that you're covered only for £5000 (and if you think about the size of depreciation in year 3 for a brand new skoda, you might be looking at more than £5K).

The Skoda GAP insurance is more comprehensive, but if you challenge them on the price they'll price-match their nearest rivals no problem. They did in my case anyway.

as I Understand it, there are 3 types of cover -

Return to value - ??? thought your insurance would pay the current value anyway??

Return to Invoice - make up the "difference" between what you paid and what is worth

Vehicle replacement - make up the difference for a replacement vehicle of the same type / spec.

so to answer my own question, the last one seems the way to go..or at least to me it does :wonder:

The 3 types are finance gap which clears your finance. Return to invoice pays the gap between market value and what you paid and replacement vehicle (best one) same as return to invoice but if you had any discounts etc it will pay any extra you have to pay to replace it with a brand new one of same spec

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

I have been looking at this too.

The first point is assuming like me your car was ordered when the VAT deal was running you need a policy that replaces the car with nearest equivalent model rather than simply pays out the difference between your insurance company payout and the amount on your invoice / amount owed on finance.

This type of cover is the dearest.

On the surface the best I have seen is Surf and Protect.

Cover for 4 year policy with £10000 payout limit just under £300.

The policy must be taken out with 105 days but the seemingly unique feature is start date can be deferred hence cover effectively for 5 years as, like most comprehensive policies, my standard car insurance will replace with new if repairs not economic for first 12 months.

Any comments about this company or alternatives will be appreciated.

The first point is assuming like me your car was ordered when the VAT deal was running you need a policy that replaces the car with nearest equivalent model rather than simply pays out the difference between your insurance company payout and the amount on your invoice / amount owed on finance.

The policy must be taken out with 105 days but the seemingly unique feature is start date can be deferred hence cover effectively for 5 years as, like most comprehensive policies, my standard car insurance will replace with new if repairs not economic for first 12 months.

Surf and protect were pretty much the first company to do Gap Insurance and do have a good history. Not always the cheapest but... you get what you pay for! Check it covers you for theft of your car by your keys

I have also used Surf and Protect and have got 3yrs replacement vehicle insurance for approx. £200, with a payout of £15000. I have also got the start date 1 year from initial buying as my insurance will pay out in the first 12 months if I should suffer total loss of car. Therefore I have effectively got 4 years protection.

Hope this helps

I have also used Surf and Protect and have got 3yrs replacement vehicle insurance for approx. £200, with a payout of £15000. I have also got the start date 1 year from initial buying as my insurance will pay out in the first 12 months if I should suffer total loss of car. Therefore I have effectively got 4 years protection.

Hope this helps

What insurance company are you with? I thought all insurance companies did this but now apparently it's just a select few.

Hmm. I'm almost 90% certain I'll be going with Admiral come renewal. They are a good chunk cheaper on my current vRS and the new one.

You pay for what you get mate... theres a lot of things in the admiral policy that explain why its so cheap. You'll find out come claims time (i was a claim handler there)

Depends if your basing it on price or cover... could tell you stories about a lot of insurers. I work for nfu mutual now aside from the fact I work there the cover is actually really good, voted as number one insurer for 6 years. Direct line offer good cover as do aviva but badish customer services

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

I am with adrmiral.. we pay £555 for 12 months on the vRS...partly due to my mothers inability to drive and making 3 claims in the last 12 months :'(

To be fair admiral claims where very good when we needed them