How do you like heated windscreen?

manespet

My 1.2 TSI Experience has optional heated windscreen.

It's may first car with this equipment and I find it rather annoying, especially when driving against the sun and at night - the heating grid creates sparkling-like effect in sunlight and sparkling-star-like effect from incoming lights at nigt.

Do you have the same observation?

Maybe my vision is just too sharp ;)

M.

I have always liked them personally.

Have had them on several previous cars.

But it was not an option when we ordered our Yeti.

Fortunately it lives in the garage so would have probably been a waste of money if we had added it anyway!

My 1.2 TSI Experience has optional heated windscreen.

It's may first car with this equipment and I find it rather annoying, especially when driving against the sun and at night - the heating grid creates sparkling-like effect in sunlight and sparkling-star-like effect from incoming lights at nigt.

Do you have the same observation?

Maybe my vision is just too sharp ;)

M.

I was intending to spec this on my Yeti as it will live outside, and so I'll be interested to here other's views. Previous posts have suggested that it didn't interfere with the vision as you are finding. I wonder if anything has changed??

Chris

I was intending to spec this on my Yeti as it will live outside, and so I'll be interested to here other's views. Previous posts have suggested that it didn't interfere with the vision as you are finding. I wonder if anything has changed??

Chris

My suggestion is to try (see) it first (if possible).

M.

Interesting comments and please keep them coming. I am likely to spec this on my next Yeti as I am fed up of waiting for my non garaged Yeti to clear the screen for 3 months of the year. Anyone else having problems with summer glare?

Minor pain outweighed by benefit for me!

I should agree, but not tested yet - no freezing from middle April. Must wait till October or November or travel to high Alps B)

M.

Minor pain outweighed by benefit for me!

+1

It is not visible all of the time anyway, just when the light catches it at a certain angle, give it time and you don't really notice it.

I should agree, but not tested yet - no freezing from middle April. Must wait till October or November or travel to high Alps B)

M.

It's also useful on a damp morning or if you have just had a shower, turn it on for 30 seconds and the screen doesn't mist up. :thumbup:

It's also useful on a damp morning or if you have just had a shower, turn it on for 30 seconds and the screen doesn't mist up. :thumbup:

How quickly can you get out of the shower and into the car? :giggle:

When running late ... very :thumbup:

This reminds me of a thread in the Fabia section, when discussing Greenline economy and someone suggesting driving in the nude. :D

It is not visible all of the time anyway, just when the light catches it at a certain angle, give it time and you don't really notice it.

There is quite a difference in windshield angle between Superb and Yeti, so maybe glare is enhanced by the steeper angle in Yeti.

M.

There is quite a difference in windshield angle between Superb and Yeti, so maybe glare is enhanced by the steeper angle in Yeti.

M.

Possibly, but I couldn't see mine to begin with (in December) now I can see it when I look for it or the sun catches it at a certain angle, but most of the time it is not noticeable as you will just look past it.

A lot depends on your vision and where your eyes are focusing. My experience is that "normal" vision looks through the elements but if your vision is slightly weak you partly focus on the windscreen and thats when they come into view.

Although the grid is visible, its usually only when sun is at an acute angle. Never noticed it at night. Never found it a distraction, but best advice is to test drive a vehicle with one - but only on a sunny day!

On a Yeti without the Heated Screen, do you know if it can be retro fitted at a later date if the current screen needs replacing due to a crack or breakage? Are all the electrics in place to take it already? Would be useful to know whats required?

We have it on our current Passat , and as the current car is and ther new car will live outside , heavy frosts on the screen are seen off within seconds , well a min or two , but NO SCRAPING so just sit and wait for a moment then you are off ,

Yes you can see the heating grid in certain lighting conditions , but as said before the gain outweighs the pain

AND we opted for a heated screen on our Yeti , just sitting and twiddling thumbs at present :(

I liked the heated screen on my wife's previous Ford and wasn't previously aware other makes had them. I was surprised when I saw in the Yeti brochure that it was an option and it became one of my reasons for choosing a Yeti over an Octavia 4x4. I think the Yeti screen is at least as good as that on the Ford. While I occasionally become aware of the elements in certain sunny conditions I quickly forget about them as I have to concentrate on driving - it's a bit like I'm not aware of the advertising hoardings when watching football on the TV. Even if the car is garaged overnight it's still occasionally useful for getting rid of condensation or making a quick get away from a outside car park on a frosty day.

Yes the screen can cause a little distortion occasionally but you get used to it. Had the system in the past on Fords and the wintertime benefits outweigh this minor issue.

TP

+1

Had one on a Mondeo a few yers ago and as kept outside in our neck of the Pennines invaluable and not at all intrusive.

Only aware of it when driving into bright sunlight Great bit of kit and missed on my Octavia.Yeti will probably have to live outside unless I stump up and replace my very bulky old garage roller door so looking forward to having it.