Would love an Astra VXR

Jimi182

Hi all.

I've been looking at trading my vRS in for an Astra VXR. Depending on the insurance and finance deal of course.

Has anybody ever had one of these motors and what do you think of them?

Cheers

J

I have a lend of my mates when he's working on my car.

Understeer is a problem like most powerful front wheel drives, and as said, they like a drink.

Not bad though really, but it's a Vauxhall at the end of the day

I was offered one before I put my order in for the Fabia vRS. It's a really looked after one too, remapped and tuned to just over 300 bhp. Insurance, fuel cost and practicality put me off in the end.

I've driven a fair few and I'm not a massive fan. Interior space and ride quality are poor, the fuel economy is as expected. Plus points are that is that they depreciate so used ones can seem to be good value, and at the end of the day they are pretty fast, I find the ride is too firm to drive fast on an uneven country road never really feels planted.

If you fancy a larger/faster car than your Fabia vRS why not stick with Skoda and look at a Octavia vRS TSi with a good remap?

As other's have said. Fuel economy might hit you, especially doing 40 miles a day. Very quick and an...'exciting' drive or understeer :p They are cheap second hand though. Corsa VXR is poorly built but I've heard that Astra is much better.

if you're wanting more information and first hand experience of these cars, then get yourself over to the Astra Owners Network. I'm over there now, and they're very helpful. Like here.

Clarkson said the VXR torque steered like a pig...prefer an Octy vRS myself.

Edited by Paul007

The M32 gearbox on the astra vxr is like chocolate and I have read so many stories on vxronline about them starting to whine and then giving up it's unreal, I thought about getting a vxr a while back but reading such stories put me right off.

I think there is a thread about the poor gearbox in the astra section now !!!

I think a new box is around £1500 from Vauxhall but if it's a warranty claim they send your ECU off to be tested it hasn't been messed with otherwise your warrenty is void !!!

To me, the Astra is the worst of the current breed of super-hot hatches. And it's really getting on a bit now. Drive one back-to-back with a Megane RS250 if you want to know what I mean :)

I found the std handling and suspension setup to be particularly poor when I took one for a drive. The std mapping for power delivery and throttle response was also pretty poor I thought. Torque steer was particularly bad.

Like everything I'm sure it can be improved with aftermarket tweaks, but when comparing it with a Focus ST, MPS or RenaultSport Megane, my cash certainly wouldn't go on the Vauxhall! If I was in the market for such a vehicle, I'd head for the French.

To me, the Astra is the worst of the current breed of super-hot hatches. And it's really getting on a bit now. Drive one back-to-back with a Megane RS250 if you want to know what I mean :)

I found the std handling and suspension setup to be particularly poor when I took one for a drive. The std mapping for power delivery and throttle response was also pretty poor I thought. Torque steer was particularly bad.

Like everything I'm sure it can be improved with aftermarket tweaks, but when comparing it with a Focus ST, MPS or RenaultSport Megane, my cash certainly wouldn't go on the Vauxhall! If I was in the market for such a vehicle, I'd head for the French.

VXR definitely have poor build quality. Pistons on Corsa and gearbox on Astra it seems. Stay well clear :S

IF your worried about fuel economy then dont buy one. Vauxhall are pretty thirsty. Freind of mine had the astra coupe turbo, along with the 2.2 SRi. Fairly quick but hammer the fuel.

Ever thought about a fast diesel?

I would tend to agree, the astra is fast in a straight line, but the magane would run rings round it on a track (or on your favorite back road) the ST also..... fast vauxhalls seem to have a big problem with cornering (massive on power understeer, which (for example) the markII fabia vRS simply doesnt do, no matter how provoked, due to the clever EDL) .. they are always big figures with 0-60 0-100 ect , but how often are you driving on an airfield?