Rear calliper seized

Hi,

Had the brakes changed but the garage has told me that they cant get the r/n/s calliper wound back and its totally rock solid. Managed to get the old pads back in so i can still drive it.

However apparently a new calliper is £165 which is more than i can afford. Can you get the calliper serviced and if so how much would i be looking at for that? I take it i'd have to take it off and send it into somewhere.

Any ideas?

If the caliper piston has seized then probably the bore will be degraded with corrosion of one sort or another.

Try the breakers yard for a used caliper (that has not also seized) and hopefully you will be on your way.

Some members have upgraded their rear calipers and discs, so may well have the old ones available??

Good luck.

Just noticed your car is a Octavia VRS, so rear caliper and discs probably will not have been upgraded. (sorry)

One of the main reasons for the pistons sticking is that the rubber seal goes hard due to heat and age.

Had the front on my Fabia stick on me...got a new dust skirt and piston to bore seal from Skoda dealership. Then got a brake cylinder honning tool (about £15-£20 Laser tools). Stripped the piston out and used 1500grit wetndry paper on the piston with some 3in1oil to remove the burnt on rubber crap and polish smooth and shiny. Then used the honing tool to gently polish the bore. The most difficult bit was fitting the dust skirt back..but found a way around this. Will be doing the same to rears later on this year. B)

There may be an elephant in the room here!! ;) Do both calipers wind back in the same direction are are they opposite-handed?

Having done mine last week I can confirm that they do both wind back in the same way, screwing the tool in clockwise from the outside. Mine on the drivers side was virtually solid for the first few mm as the discs had done 105k and the pads were only a few mm thick so the piston was about as far out as it was going to get. I pulled back the dust seal, used some thin oil underneath and left for half an hour. Hey presto, the whole thing screwed back in perfectly once the initial tightness had been overcome.

Try these refurb my sons

G B Automotive Components Ltd

Component House

88 Wakefield Road

Ossett

West Yorkshire WF5 9JX

Tel 01924 280977

they might run a van to your Area

and why would i need that?? i'm selling a perfectly good second hand working caliper

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my rear pads on my Tdi110 today. Both pistons were vitually solid, but with a bit of penetrating oil sprayed here and there they did eventually go back. I fitted the new pads and all was well, or so I thought. When I drove up the road I discovered that the N/S/R brake was binding and had got hot, and the O/S/R brake was also slightly warm. So I bit the bullet and ordered two new rear calipers. I thought there's no point messing around trying to free them off, and you're never that successful in doing so. TPS trade price is £72 + VAT each.....

The vrs uses vented discs at back and there is only is only vrs and odd leon cupra r's that use the same calipers as apparently the 4wd platforms use different carriers

I changed my rear pads on my Tdi110 today. Both pistons were vitually solid, but with a bit of penetrating oil sprayed here and there they did eventually go back. I fitted the new pads and all was well, or so I thought. When I drove up the road I discovered that the N/S/R brake was binding and had got hot, and the O/S/R brake was also slightly warm. So I bit the bullet and ordered two new rear calipers. I thought there's no point messing around trying to free them off, and you're never that successful in doing so. TPS trade price is £72 + VAT each.....

I,ve just stripped the pistons out of my rears last week...and fitted new seals and dust skirts......cost.......£17 approx for the seals and skirts for both calipers (from Skoda dealer)......already have a piston windback tool £16 ish??? and I fitted new discs and pads and fluid at the same time!! Much cheaper than buying a new caliper!! B)

I,ve just stripped the pistons out of my rears last week...and fitted new seals and dust skirts......cost.......£17 approx for the seals and skirts for both calipers (from Skoda dealer)......already have a piston windback tool £16 ish??? and I fitted new discs and pads and fluid at the same time!! Much cheaper than buying a new caliper!! B)

I did think about doing that but I've never had that much success in repairing seized calipers. Often the pistons and caliper wells have surface corrosion and even if a repair is successful they're not likely to last that long, and so that's why I opted to buy new ones.....

I did think about doing that but I've never had that much success in repairing seized calipers. Often the pistons and caliper wells have surface corrosion and even if a repair is successful they're not likely to last that long, and so that's why I opted to buy new ones.....

Out of all the four that I have done on my car..one was badly sticking with another very stiff....none had corrosion, just burnt rubber marks/smears on the pistons...no corrosion!! will find picture I took!! B)

EDIT

Found pic of the front piston that was sticking badly....it all cleaned off with 1500grit wet and dry using brake fluid to lubricate paper....ended up very shiny, very smooth and "new" B)

f2659b1f.jpg

Edited by fabdavrav

• 3 years later...

Hey fabdavrav (or anyone else) my piston seems to have seized, I changed the back break pads on my fab but the drivers side calliper was really really stiff (from what I could see there was no corrosion marks) looked nice and shiny took a lot of force to get it back in but it did go back, then I took it for a test drive drove about 5-10 miles and had this clunky noise as the wheel was going around and a really bad smell of burning rubber (thought I had a puncture) stopped to have a look but couldn't see anything obvious when I drove again no sound at all any ideas please... Thanks.

Hey fabdavrav (or anyone else) my piston seems to have seized, I changed the back break pads on my fab but the drivers side calliper was really really stiff (from what I could see there was no corrosion marks) looked nice and shiny took a lot of force to get it back in but it did go back, then I took it for a test drive drove about 5-10 miles and had this clunky noise as the wheel was going around and a really bad smell of burning rubber (thought I had a puncture) stopped to have a look but couldn't see anything obvious when I drove again no sound at all any ideas please... Thanks.

Maybe the piston had not reseated properly and the rubber piston seal was not seated into piston groove and rubbing. You may of been lucky and it located back into place and the piston seated itself. Keep a eye on your brake fluid levels and check wheel for any fluid leaking onto it. Do you actually now have good working brakes......