CR 170 performance

Moonman2

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet a remapped 170 would be quick! :rofl:

A PD170 with the DPF removed and a map makes about 220bhp and the torque is extreme. Custom Code have the CR170 listed as making 200-210 with around 345lb/ft. :thumbup:

T

I had a leon FR with the PD170...fast. In gear acceleration was superb. It also had brilliant handling, could chase anything down on B roads, I did drive it hard mind. Not sure I want to try and do that in the Yeti (when it gets here!) :zzz: Least of all because it's a CR110!

As an aside, I've been hearing (and hoping) that the CR110 is actually the same engine as a CR140 but just de-tuned by software. I have a CR110 4x4 on order and plan to investigate a remap. Could be the biggest bargain if you can spend £400+VAT and have ~170bhp as tuners suspect may be the case. :rock: Keep an eye on Revo.

The 110 does remap quite nicely.....just give Ben a call at Shark ....not sure of figures yet but somewhere around 160 :-)

That for me sums up the whole situation :thumbup:

I agree, but the subjective experience is that the CR engine cannot live with the PD.... :)

I agree, but the subjective experience is that the CR engine cannot live with the PD.... :)

I beg to differ. I've had that PD engine in an Audi A4. It's noisy, lumpy and uncivilised. The power is all in one place. By contrast the CR engine is smooth and sophisticated in it's power delivery - just keeps coming - and much more like a petrol engine in character. And it's a whole lot quieter as well. It's no contest in my opinion ... give me the CR everytime. :p

Having had 115PD (Remapped to 135ps) and 170PD in Golf V's - the CR engine is way, way more refined.

A PD170 with the DPF removed and a map makes about 220bhp and the torque is extreme. Custom Code have the CR170 listed as making 200-210 with around 345lb/ft. :thumbup:

Presumablt the Skoda warranty goes out of the window? And the insurance company gets very twitchy ... it's a shame Skoda don't offer something like this as a "Dealer fit" option!

As I have said before I have tests in the Volkswagen Driver Magazine of various Golfs. The difference in performance between the CR140 and the CR170 is minimal however they are both much quicker than the CR110.

The Fuel consumption again is similar between the CR170 and the CR140 but much better with the CR110.

Some in-gear acceleration times of the PD140 are actually faster than the CR170 and all the in-gear times of the PD170 are appreciably quicker than the CR170 so the PD engine doesn't just feel quicker, it is.

The 50-70mph in 3rd gear of the CR170 is 3.7 seconds.. :)

What is the point in comparing obsolete technology in a Golf with the latest technology in a Yeti, none at all. What does matter, however, is how a 170 compares to a 140 during the most important aspect of driving - in gear accelation and mid range grunt. Anybody who says the difference is minimal is wrong, do not take my word for it, listen to BOBDOG and drive one. I have just swopped a Mini Clbman Cooper S for a 170 Elegance, the Cooper sounded great, had viscious torque steer despite the limited slip diff, 7.5 second 0-60, masses of torque and amazing roadholding. The Yeti is a different beast, I have only done 400 miles but it is enough to realise that the handling is nearly up there with the Mini and the ride is in a different league, as for the power delivery I find it delivers a great deal of mid range punch in a deceptively smooth and civilsed way.I have owned both a Golf and latterly an Audi A3 Sportback both had the 140(138) PD engine which was noisy, vibrated under acceleration and not particularly good in the mid range. Why anybody who has driven cars with both engine designs would rather have a PD over a CR is quite beyond me.

So back to the op QUESTION, is the 170 better than the 140, ANSWER - for the extra £780 most definately YES. Better acceleration, more torque for better in gear performance and effortless overtaking, lower co2 output than both the 110 4x4 and the 140 4x4 and better fuel consumption than the 110 and 140 4x4.

Listen to BOBDOG do not read magazines, do not listen to salesmen, drive a 170 and see for yourself!

I'd also add that sitting in my garage is an MGB roadster with a 3.5 litre V8 Rover engine and 5 speed gearbox, coupled with appropriately modified suspension and brakes. I've always had a 'sensible' car and a 'fun' car. Trouble is, these days, the MG hardly gets a look in 'cos the Yeti is fun and sensible.

So back to the op QUESTION, is the 170 better than the 140, ANSWER - for the extra £780 most definately YES. Better acceleration, more torque for better in gear performance and effortless overtaking, lower co2 output than both the 110 4x4 and the 140 4x4 and better fuel consumption than the 110 and 140 4x4.

Listen to BOBDOG do not read magazines, do not listen to salesmen, drive a 170 and see for yourself!

Gentlemen - you've just about convinced me! If only I could find a dealer with one that I could try :(

Wakev mentioned Station Garage in Ewhurst..........

I emailed them yesterday. I've had an automated acknowlegement, but nothing futher :(

I tried James and two other dealers as well, but they couldn't get one, sigh. Looks like they're rare beasties ...

I emailed them yesterday. I've had an automated acknowlegement, but nothing futher :(

I tried James and two other dealers as well, but they couldn't get one, sigh. Looks like they're rare beasties ...

by all accounts like rocking horse p00.

give them a ring.....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I contacted Station Garage and they did indeed have a 170 demo vehicle available. Went down yesterday and had a drive - enjoyed it very much, so much so that I put in an order there and then :)

Bad news, six months minimum wait likely before I become a fully-fledged Yetian ...

I contacted Station Garage and they did indeed have a 170 demo vehicle available. Went down yesterday and had a drive - enjoyed it very much, so much so that I put in an order there and then :)

Bad news, six months minimum wait likely before I become a fully-fledged Yetian ...

Well worth the wait. Took mine for a run today - 50 miles return on A road. Superb for overtaking with the greatest of ease. A really enjoyable drive on a familiar road. Maxidot recorded 52mpg (will be a bit less for real). Only done about 300 miles so far. I had a 5 month wait and it was well worth it with this forum being so useful in preparing me for the event - when it was nearly like going in a familiar car. On Friday we drive to Isle of Mull and it will be a splendid vehicle for that drive and for driving around that island.

I beg to differ. I've had that PD engine in an Audi A4. It's noisy, lumpy and uncivilised. The power is all in one place. By contrast the CR engine is smooth and sophisticated in it's power delivery - just keeps coming - and much more like a petrol engine in character. And it's a whole lot quieter as well. It's no contest in my opinion ... give me the CR everytime. :p

+ 1 Having owned an Octavia vRS PD170 before my Yeti I'd agree.

I'd also advocate that the CR140 is lacking the ultimate umph that the CR170 will have; my CR140 certainly feels lacklustre compared to my PD170 vRS. Yes; the CR140 has a more than adequate level of performance for daily motoring but I'm sure that it is not the vRS in a Yeti body that the CR170 is.

Mind you I'm paying a visit to Shark Performance in two weeks time after which I should have 175-180bhp plus loads more torque to match. Wee Hee! :D

So you couldn't prize their demonstrator off them? ;)

No matter, you've made a good choice I'm sure. :thumbup:

So you couldn't prize their demonstrator off them? ;)

No matter, you've made a good choice I'm sure. :thumbup:

Not for sale the Salesman told me, as he didn't think he'd be able to get another for 18 months or so! Mind you it was "just" the standard Elegance spec and I wanted a few of the optional things (RRP, Electric driver's seat, front parking sensors, spare wheel and TPM).

I'd also advocate that the CR140 is lacking the ultimate umph that the CR170 will have; my CR140 certainly feels lacklustre compared to my PD170 vRS. Yes; the CR140 has a more than adequate level of performance for daily motoring but I'm sure that it is not the vRS in a Yeti body that the CR170 is.

Mind you I'm paying a visit to Shark Performance in two weeks time after which I should have 175-180bhp plus loads more torque to match. Wee Hee! :D

I agree that the CR140/170 engine is smoother and quieter than the PD engine. However Common Rail is not a newer technology but has been round for ages and used by other manufactures. The Pumpe Deuse unit is afar more advanced design and exclusive to the VAG Group but in these times is too expensive to develop. Having the individual pumps directly above the valves and only operative by the camshaft when needed is not only more efficient but does away with the fuel pump which in itself can cause problems.

As for performance I'm afraid the stats speak for themselves. The PD engine's in gear acceleration is significantly quicker, enough for a PD140/170 to draw away from a CR140/170.

So there you have it. The smoother,linear quieter CR engine or the 'aircraft taking off shove' of the PD unit.. :)

Edited by looby

• 1 month later...

After taking delivery of our new Yeti CR170 Elegance (holy moly what a 4x4!), thought I'd post a view from a VRS CR170 owner viewpoint too, the zip the CR170 engine has over the 140 to me is why I have been craving one of these engines in a Yeti so long, well I can say it has been worth the wait. It is a veritable sheep in wolf's clothing. I'd reccomend anyone having a test drive in the CR170 guise, cannot stop grinning. Still amazes me why this engine is not available in the Scout (or leather either).

After taking delivery of our new Yeti CR170 Elegance (holy moly what a 4x4!), thought I'd post a view from a VRS CR170 owner viewpoint too, the zip the CR170 engine has over the 140 to me is why I have been craving one of these engines in a Yeti so long, well I can say it has been worth the wait. It is a veritable sheep in wolf's clothing. I'd reccomend anyone having a test drive in the CR170 guise, cannot stop grinning. Still amazes me why this engine is not available in the Scout (or leather either).

I'm right with you!

Having seen Shark Performance two weeks ago, Kevin has been transformed with now around 185-190bhp and is really a Yeti vRS. :thumbup:

I have now got back the performance I had with my Octavia vRS TDI with the benefit of 4x4. ;)B) :yes:

I think you mean it's a wolf in sheeps clothing..unless it looks the business but is a gutless wonder??