How does cruise control work?

Can someone enlighten me please. I have had a number of Octavias with cruise control and they all seem to behave in the same way. Usually when I set it, it stays set at that speed. However, sometimes the car slows and I have to accelerate and set it again. Sometimes, and more disconcertingly, when I set it, the car rapidly accelerates away. I suspect it is something to do with where the accelerator is when I set it, but that's just a guess. So what's going on? :doh:

Alan

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with either the Octavia or my Yeti.

Set the speed. stays there until I touch the brake, switch it off or kickdown for a period of time.

As above, can't say I've had any odd behaviour from the the cruise control on any of my last 3 VAG's, including the Octavia. Switch it on with the toggle switch, and press set when doing the speed you want. It's never deviated from that speed more than +/- 1mph when the gradient changes. To cancel, press down on the clutch, brake, or knock the toggle switch towards the off position. To go back to cruising at the last speed it was set to, press the resume button, and it will accelerate back to that speed. If you press resume when doing a speed higher than the last set speed, the car will slow until it reaches the last set speed and then cruise at that speed. This has worked the same way on the Octavia, my A3 and my Ibiza, and in fact any other vehicle I've driven with cruise!

Push the bottom of the rocker switch to set and hold to your current speed.

Could be you are pushing the top of the switch which is "Resume" - ie go back to the last speed I set. If you last used it at 70mph and you press Resume while doing 30mph the car will accelerate to 70 and hold 70. If you last used it at 30 and you press resume while doing 70 the car will slow to 30 and hold 30.

No problems here either, but I got to say the Resume is totally brutal, i.e I cancel Cruise during say busy time in motorway, then later want to resume and the power of resuming is like totally flooring the throttle until it reaches the set speed. Never had a car with this behavior as it usually a smooth and linear resume, but Octavia lurches ahead crazy.

As above, can't say I've had any odd behaviour from the the cruise control on any of my last 3 VAG's, including the Octavia. Switch it on with the toggle switch, and press set when doing the speed you want. It's never deviated from that speed more than +/- 1mph when the gradient changes. To cancel, press down on the clutch, brake, or knock the toggle switch towards the off position. To go back to cruising at the last speed it was set to, press the resume button, and it will accelerate back to that speed. If you press resume when doing a speed higher than the last set speed, the car will slow until it reaches the last set speed and then cruise at that speed. This has worked the same way on the Octavia, my A3 and my Ibiza, and in fact any other vehicle I've driven with cruise!

+1 :thumbup:

Mine acts exactly as above.

Maybe it's possible you're presing resume instead of set as Ecleshill says? The steering wheel does get in the way so you can't actually see the words on the stalk, you've got to know which is which.

No problems here either, but I got to say the Resume is totally brutal, i.e I cancel Cruise during say busy time in motorway, then later want to resume and the power of resuming is like totally flooring the throttle until it reaches the set speed. Never had a car with this behavior as it usually a smooth and linear resume, but Octavia lurches ahead crazy.

I find the Octavia 'resume' very gentle in comparison to my BMW- it actually pins you back in the seat when you press resume! :rofl:

Just out of interest, what would happen if you were in too low a gear such that you'd hit the limiter before reaching the stored resume speed?

I would guess that the cruise control would take it up to the rev limiter and hold it there. Not sure whether anyone is willing to give it a go though...

Just out of interest, what would happen if you were in too low a gear such that you'd hit the limiter before reaching the stored resume speed?

Cruise only works in 4th or 5th gear in my car, Octavia estate

Cruise only works in 4th or 5th gear in my car, Octavia estate

Are you sure about that? In my last Octavia (1.9TDI, 5spd box) I'm sure I used mine in 3rd in 20mph speed limit areas.

With DSG the box changes gear to maintain speed set by cruise control - holding 30mph in 5th, if you hit a hill it will drop down to 4th without cancelling the cruise.

Likewise if you are cruising at 70 and reach a roundabout, negotiate roundabout, take exit, hit resume and the car accelerates up the gears till you reach 70 again

Cruise control works down to 20 or 25 km/h (Can't remember which, found out the winter before last following traffic on ice) in 2nd on my car. Nastiest thing is when you're in too high a gear (30 mph in 5th through a village) and hit the resume button to go back to 60. The cruise control gives it too much accelerator and the whole car starts vibrating - too nasty to leave it doing that for more than a second if I do it accidentally...

Cruise control works down to 20 or 25 km/h (Can't remember which, found out the winter before last following traffic on ice) in 2nd on my car.

It is 19mph or 30kph

Nastiest thing is when you're in too high a gear (30 mph in 5th through a village) and hit the resume button to go back to 60. The cruise control gives it too much accelerator and the whole car starts vibrating - too nasty to leave it doing that for more than a second if I do it accidentally...

That is where DSG is your friend :rofl:

In the same situation DSG will change down a cog or 2 then accelerate through the gears to 60...

The VAG system on cars with DBW throttles works by varying the throttle to maintain the selected speed. If your car accelerates noticably when you do "Set" then there's a fault in the cruise. OTOH that could be correct behaviour if you toggle "Resume" on when significantly below your set cruising speed.