PD130 Turbo to PD150 Turbo Upgrade

Hello all, im looking for some info and the wonderful search cant give me the full answers im looking for. So here goes.

Currently running a 54 plate VRS that has been Stage 1 remapped by angel tuning and a standard clutch that ive not worn out. The turbo is the stock one and has not been changed.

Questions are,

1) How can i tell what type of turbo it is?

2) When it finally gives in can i replace it easily enough for a PD150, if so do i need to replace any parts or add anything else to it?

3) If i change to a PD150 turbo will i need to have a new remap to take into account the extra BHP? and will the standard clutch be happy?

4) Whats the difference in price for PD130 turbo compared to PD160 turbo?

Thanks in advance everyone.

1, All fabia vrs' have KKK PD130's

2, gaskets, oil feed pipe

3, Youll need to remap to it GAIN the extra power. If you just stick it on as is then it'll be the same power as now, but to tale advantage of the larger turbo it'll need a new map. Just a 150, no FMIC will give you 190-200bhp a nice smooth map & correct driving style should let you run a standard clutch.

4, Not a clue, try turbo dynamics or turbo technics

Matt

No probs, Pretty sure when I got the gaskets & pipe it wasn't more than £40 for the lot from TPS not a massive amount. As above, there's the option of a hybrid 130, I'd not want to push it further than 200bhp tho. However hybrids don't seem to be a massive amount more than standard ones when buying new so could be a good shout

Matt

I've driven both a mapped 150 and a mapped hybrid 130, the 130 was much more punchy lower down and held rev power similar to the 150, admittedly my 130 hybrid is a unit 18 bespoke build, they recommended it as a stronger unit than the 150 standard! But I've never had mine on a rolling road so can't confirm figures

Dont get me wrong me wrong the 150 standard was nice and progresive aswell. I find it interesting the amount of turbo variants thats are now available when it comes to upgrade time.... I would be really interested to see what mine makes on a dyno. What do you think the limits of a standard 150 turbo are then??

I wonder if people know that a Hybrid 130 and a Hybrid 150 CAN be the same....................

A 130 = gt1749va

A 150 = GT1749vb.

Literally, if both are hybridised to same spec, there will be NO DIFFERENCE.

Guest BigJase88

And i wouldnt recommend running a stock 150 turbo at 195bhp on the standard smic

I could heatsoak mine in one run at 173bhp

Hi I have a fabia vrs on a stage 1 remap which I done a couple of months ago unfortunately my turbo has popped so want to upgrade any recommendations?? Help??

A Turbo Dynamics Hybrid Garret pd150 will cost around £850 at the moment special online price, this is after an exchange of a like for like unit. You get a £100 surchange back once they receive it.

I blew my turbo a couple of months ago and took the stage 2 route,

Hybrid garret pd150

Seat Sport FMIC

Forge piping

Egr delete valve

Milltek full system exhaust

Remap

Still my car is in my garage and awaiting remap because i cant get hold of a vrs dovit top boost pipe or find anywhere to get hold of this 51mm 80 degree stainless pipe which goes at the bottom.

Have everything but these to get me back on the road if anyone can help!?!?

Thanks Ben

I think fingerpants has hit the nail on the head. it depends what internal parts have been changed and to what specification that maks the turbos stronger rather than their original build specification. Without knowing exactly what has been changed i think its impossible to suggest max outputs of 130 and 150 hybrid units

A Turbo Dynamics Hybrid Garret pd150 will cost around £850 at the moment special online price, this is after an exchange of a like for like unit. You get a £100 surchange back once they receive it.

I blew my turbo a couple of months ago and took the stage 2 route,

Hybrid garret pd150

Seat Sport FMIC

Forge piping

Egr delete valve

Milltek full system exhaust

Remap

Still my car is in my garage and awaiting remap because i cant get hold of a vrs dovit top boost pipe or find anywhere to get hold of this 51mm 80 degree stainless pipe which goes at the bottom.

Have everything but these to get me back on the road if anyone can help!?!?

Thanks Ben

P.M'd re. Dovit pipe

Hi I've just blew my turbo too and was looking upgrade and have also found a hybrid turbo but want to know what else I got to change? Can I just replace the turbo n map it again or do I have to change intercoolers etc??

• 2 weeks later...

every time you change somethin do you have to fork out for a new remap or will certain companys do some kind of deal? like the idea of just wacking a hybrid turbo on and remapping up to 200, then going for the intercooler and exaust when i can afford it, but will this mean i need to pay out twice for a remap?...... dam performance adiction! why cant i just be happy with my 179bhp and 340 torque! lol

every time you change somethin do you have to fork out for a new remap or will certain companys do some kind of deal? like the idea of just wacking a hybrid turbo on and remapping up to 200, then going for the intercooler and exaust when i can afford it, but will this mean i need to pay out twice for a remap?...... dam performance adiction! why cant i just be happy with my 179bhp and 340 torque! lol

I know some companies will charge a lot less than a new map for repeat customers if they are having upgrades done, but you'll normally need to pay something if you are doing bits and bobs and want to take the power up in steps as you go along.

• Like 1

GT1749VA and GT1749VB differences.

Found this over on TDICLUB.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1035826&postcount=6

My (historical) view (which I can't now substantiate... :( ) is the VB has a larger compressor wheel allowing it to push more air at a lower shaft speed. Speed/overspeed being one of the limitations of tuning with the VA design. I've also read/heard that the VB had a thicker shaft than a VA. That's the bit I can't substantiate.

Main restriction with our setups is the integrated manifold IMO and lack of space. Would be very nice to be able to use a GTB1756VK (or VL?!?) 2056VK or 2260VK with little bother.

J.

If you had a flasher like the STS unit shark uses then updates work out much cheaper as they can just send you the file.