Maxidot options

Hi all,

I've noticed on a few pictures i've seen that there is an icon that shows you what gear to change into (next to the time display). How do i activate this feature or it a DSG only feature?

Also how do i change the KPH to MPH on the maxidot? It's quite pointless (for me) to have KPH figure when my local constabulary use MPH's to gauge my speed.

Also what oil temperature should my engine be operating at before I start giving it a bit of welly? I noticed it seemed to settle around 90-95 C on a 20 mile run this am. Finally how do you access the maxidot menu as I can only seem to toggle between the basic options, how do I drill down into adjudsting the other options such as adjusting the coming home lights etc... I am fimiliar with the trip buttons & the reset/OK button on the bottom of the left hand side stalk.

Sorry if i'm missing something obvious but I cant seem how to open the maxidot menu.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Mark

Edited by HWMBO - Mark

According to the Brouchure Maxidot is only available with the DSG gearbox. However there is a thread where someone had it retro fitted recently.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/202798-retro-fitted-maxidot-on-fl/

Is yours a manual or DSG gearbox?

You can spec maxidot on it's own but comes as standard with the DSG gearbox

Right I see that now.

Then you either use the MFSW buttons or extra buttons on the end andbottom of the wiper switch.

Mark

Ok on Maxidot, when you open a door do you see this ?

maxidot.jpg

Or just a red light on the Speedo ?

Its as you show it - Thanks for your help. I bought the Maxidot as an option on my manual. Just the gear change assistant & changing KPH to MPH left to do. Any ideas for doing this ?

Edited by HWMBO - Mark

Its a you show it. I bought the Maxidot as an option on my manual. Just the gear change assistant & changing KPH to MPH left to do. Any ideas for doing this ?

press and hold the lower part of the rocker switch (on the wiper stalk)

you will be able to access the main menu of maxi-dot.

for the change to mph you have 2 options

1) in the main menu of maxidot you have the option of alternate speed display where the temperature display on the maxidot will be replaced with mph display......... but you will loose the BIG KMPH display !

2) change the country settings to UK via VCDS if you have access to it >..... or it can be done by your dealer !

HTH

Edited by pz1811

press and hold the lower part of the rocker switch (on the wiper stalk)

you will be able to access the main menu of maxi-dot.

for the change to mph you have 2 options

1) in the main menu of maxidot you have the option of alternate speed display where the temperature display on the maxidot will be replaced with mph display......... but you will loose the BIG KMPH display !

2) change the country settings to UK via VCDS if you have access to it >..... or it can be done by your dealer !

HTH

Ok really helpful. Thanks very much, i'll try this later this am.

Finally does anyone now how to get the gear change (assistant) to show on maxidot or is it a DSG option only ? I beleive it sits next to the clock on the maxidot when it's active.

Regards

Mark

Also how do i change the KPH to MPH on the maxidot? It's quite pointless (for me) to have KPH figure when my local constabulary use MPH's to gauge my speed.

just a point to note it is a legal requirement in the UK to have kph too under the construction and use regs that is why the option is activated on UK vehicles I can't see any plod actually knowing this fact unless its of the hardest of hard core traffic ploder but the law states :-

Regulation 35(1) Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately, unless exempted by paragraphs (2) and (3) of this regulation.

Regulation 36 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

The speedometer fitted to a vehicle must be kept free from any obstruction which may prevent it from being easily read and shall at all times it is used on a road be maintained in good working order except if :-

• the speedometer became defective during the journey being undertaken, or

• steps have been taken to have the defect remedied by replacement or repair with all reasonable expedition, or

• the vehicle is fitted with an approved tachograph which is required to be fitted under the Community Recording Equipment Regulation (offence is under that regulation).

Looks like you gotta have both.

Screwd.

VCDS I would doubt would be considered a "switch" nor by having to stop the vehicle in order to navigate the maxidot menus. I personally want to ditch the tiny kph for BIG kph but no vcds for aussie settings :( (I drive in Europe mostly)

Edited by FUBAR

If you activate the large speed display (comes up in the same series as the MPG, journey time etc) then you can bring the small kph display back just through the maxidot - No need for VCDS and meets the C&U regs mentioned above.

I think FUBAR is spot on, i'm screwed - just going to live with it. I've spent the last 15 minutes going through the maxidot & I cant see anyway of changing it.

The only thing I cant find out is how to put the 'gear change assistant' up on the display. Can anyone else help a frustrated owner? Small thing it is but I'd find it handy (for the wife).

Edited by HWMBO - Mark

I think FUBAR is spot on, i'm screwed - just going to live with it. I've spent the last 15 minutes going through the maxidot & I cant see anyway of changing it.

The only thing I cant find out is how to put the 'gear change assistant' up on the display. Can anyone else help a frustrated owner? Small thing it is but I'd find it handy (for the wife).

I don't think you can get the gear change assistant but you should be able to get the KPH changed to MPH many people on here have done so. You will need someone with VCDS to get into the cars menu and change the country from UK to Australia. You should then get the speed changed and I believe you should get an option in the maxidot menu to be able to change between KPH and MPH.

C&U regs will only apply to the official importer of the car and is necessary to gain the type approval needed to be legal, once it is in the country and sold then you can do pretty much what you like just so long as it doesn't break any laws.

Ian

The gear change assistant is not available on all engines (the 170 CR being one of those engines that doesn't have it) and they annoy me anyway... I know how to drive and don't need the car telling me what to do.

On the km/h front. I'd love to option to have it in large figures as an option for the few times I'm driving abroad, and I'm aware that by changing the county code in VCDS this would be possible but I'm not that desperate to be able to change between mph and km/h on maxidot

• 1 year later...

Mark

Ok on Maxidot, when you open a door do you see this ?

maxidot.jpg

Or just a red light on the Speedo ?

just red light on speedo???? thats what mine is

what options do i have eg mph door open etc...

• 2 years later...

Are you sure about it? I have a DSG gearbox and mine doesnt have maxidot, or at least I dont get such info. When I open the door I have a little red indicator with a door open, regardless of what door is opened.

Does it mean mines was replaced?

Are you sure about it? I have a DSG gearbox and mine doesnt have maxidot, or at least I dont get such info. When I open the door I have a little red indicator with a door open, regardless of what door is opened.

Does it mean mines was replaced?

At the time I posted im sure I was correct,

Personally, I find the gear change display a bit of a pain...

It always seems to want me to change up earlier that the seat of my pants tells me to - so the display will tell me to change into 4th on the flat at just under 30 mph: the revs drop to 1125 rpm and it sounds like it's labouring.

No.

So - I just ignore it...

Simples!

:D

BTW I have a 1.6 CR diesel, 2010 model Octavia in SE trim.

I think maxidot being standard with DSG was only on facelift cars. I've certainly seen plenty of pre facelift DSG cars with the simple display.

I have a 61 plate facelift octavia estate, 1.6 diesel DSG and I don't have a maxidot. My question is, was it probably replaced by the previous owner? I wonder who would be so stupid to downgrade it.