Does a Fabia 1.2 TSI really need a litre of oil a month?

After reading a few threads about a seized engine and comments about 1 litre a month I am wondering if I should take the plunge. I am in Bangkok where there is no consumer protection. Hell they may not even honour the warranty.

1 litre a month seems excessive. My Suzuki truck doesn't need a top up between oil changes. 5-8000 kms depending on how lazy I am.

Is it a brand new car?

Then yes, it'll probably use oil. That's a fact.

Once a few miles are on the clock it'll stop using oil so much :)

If it is run in properly (as in not by the book) then it will use hardly any oil.

Basically get it up to temp (oil temp, not coolant) then run it through the entire rev range through the gears. This will bed the piston rings in better and give a better seal so less oil burnt.

I added a litre on the weekend 3800 miles on mine - I suspect my harder driving is probably using up more oil but that's fine

My tsi just did 5000km, did not use a drop of oil still. When new i used the advice from here for running in, using as much of the rev range as possible but not overdoing it. Power has increased and consumption has gone down.

After reading a few threads about a seized engine and comments about 1 litre a month I am wondering if I should take the plunge. I am in Bangkok where there is no consumer protection. Hell they may not even honour the warranty.

1 litre a month seems excessive. My Suzuki truck doesn't need a top up between oil changes. 5-8000 kms depending on how lazy I am.

Mine has just completed 2000 miles and the oil is still at the top of the stick

Never has the phrase "your mileage may vary" been so appropriate!

Not got my Fabia yet but I've had two new cars previously.

First a E38 BMW 318, probably did do a litre a month for the first year. Did do about 20,000 miles in it though! Second year, just oil at service.

After that I had a PT Cruiser and that didn't drink much oil till about 3 years in and then developed a leak :(

Done just over 1100 miles in my vRS and just had to stick in 1/2 a litre of oil, as mentioned elsewhere, it ain't fecking cheap - £17 for a litre from halfrauds. Now back up to the top of the stick where it should be :) hoping she's just thirsty while she's growing up, and that once she is out of nappies that she ain't so thirsty

Jnr

Edited by Jnr_vRS