VRS TDI or FSI

I don't do too many miles, but do keep a full log of my mileage and MPG on my iPhone, which is handy! I have the PD VRS TDI

465 miles - 43.26 MPG

473 miles - 42.69 MPG

475 miles - 40.62 MPG

187 miles - 45.68 MPG

495 miles - 43.80 MPG

302 miles - 38.98 MPG

458 miles - 40.79 MPG

444 miles - 39.10 MPG

373 miles - 39.87 MPG

453 miles - 41.02 MPG

420 miles - 40.18 MPG

510 miles - 45.98 MPG

402 miles - 42.69 MPG

I've done 5,833 miles since I bought the car in November, which works out at pretty much bang on 10,000 miles a year. Almost all of my driving is twisty country lanes to work each day, stuck behind stop start school run traffic. Get on the motorway maybe once a month for a run to Cornwall or London to visit family. Long term average is 41.82 MPG.

Hope that helps give you some realistic figures on a PD TDI.

I don't do too many miles, but do keep a full log of my mileage and MPG on my iPhone, which is handy! I have the PD VRS TDI

465 miles - 43.26 MPG

473 miles - 42.69 MPG

475 miles - 40.62 MPG

187 miles - 45.68 MPG

495 miles - 43.80 MPG

302 miles - 38.98 MPG

458 miles - 40.79 MPG

444 miles - 39.10 MPG

373 miles - 39.87 MPG

453 miles - 41.02 MPG

420 miles - 40.18 MPG

510 miles - 45.98 MPG

402 miles - 42.69 MPG

I've done 5,833 miles since I bought the car in November, which works out at pretty much bang on 10,000 miles a year. Almost all of my driving is twisty country lanes to work each day, stuck behind stop start school run traffic. Get on the motorway maybe once a month for a run to Cornwall or London to visit family. Long term average is 41.82 MPG.

Hope that helps give you some realistic figures on a PD TDI.

Oops, just realised you're after a new CR.

Just spent a week driving on holiday in N Wales and got an overall average of 38Mpg on motorways and A roads. In a couple of situations I was glad of the acceleration to take me past caravans joined at the hip it seemed. Low mileage take the Petrol VRS. You will not regret it or be bullied by other road users. Oh yes and the boot swallows tons of luggage.

Oh yes and the boot swallows tons of luggage.

Can vouch for this, usable boot space is incredible! Mine comfortably swallowed a full sized washing machine the other day, without needing to drop the back seats. And it returned 38mpg over a 90mil trip to drop it off!

Petrol all day long!

Absolute peach to drive & 40+ mpg when driven carefully.

(In the interests of honesty, I average 32mpg with lots of town driving and occasional motorway trips.....)

Dunc

Petrol all day long!

Absolute peach to drive & 40+ mpg when driven carefully.

(In the interests of honesty, I average 32mpg with lots of town driving and occasional motorway trips.....)

Dunc

10 months ago I would have agreed with you, having come from two petrol vRS's, I found the CRi to be a disappointment initially, despite being a big diesel fan prior to owning theTFSi's. But after 11 months in the CRi I wouldn't swap back. My last brim to brim tankful MPG was 56(my best ever brim to brim in the TFSi was approx 38 over the same rural A road commute). What surprised me more that a rapid return trip to Southampton from Lincolnshire, fully loaded with family and baggage still returned 50+ MPG.

I'd say go for the petrol, mainly because you're not having to dispose of the car at the end of three years and the difference in running costs is small enough to not really worry about.

If you were buying the car then the diesel makes more sense because they're easier to sell on and fetch more secondhand (to offset the higher new cost).

Let's face it, this is not really a decision to agonize over; they are both superb cars which are really nice to drive and if you take the glass half full view are each in their own right better than the other. If you take the glass half empty viewpoint then of course you will be stuck whichever one you choose.

Let's face it, this is not really a decision to agonize over; they are both superb cars which are really nice to drive and if you take the glass half full view are each in their own right better than the other. If you take the glass half empty viewpoint then of course you will be stuck whichever one you choose.

+1

In my experience in the TSI (petrol) I find it averages about 30mpg (driven without much thought of economy).

I had a 2.0 diesel Volvo V50 previously (same engine as Mondeo I think) which did about 40mpg under similar driving.

So to cut a long story short whilst the petrol is obviously thirsty compared to the diesel perhaps not as much difference as you might expect.

Factor in the extra few pennies for a litre of diesel and the costs are closer still.

About 80litres extra fuel at 10K miles pa? maybe £100ish? or £300 over the three years for 10K.

If I were you I'd take the petrol one with the maintenance unless you intend to do big miles, but I'm biased of course :D

Doh! my sums are wrong...thats 80 gallons extra of course. So more like £1450 over the 3 years.

So diesel is economically the best deal.

Edited by juan27

I have 2 cars both diesel (scenic 1.5dci merc c270cdi) and have order a 1.2 dsg as the refinement of the petrol is very impressive, mpg isnt that important as i will only do 10-12k a year, much rather have the refinement then 20% fuel saving,

Thanks Guys, Im pretty sure my MPG estimate on the Diesel would be 38, and more like 28 on the petrol.

I love the blue, not sure on the white, its when its clean its lovely, but as often as not its more off white, and looks and shows all water marks, runs... etc.

The blue, just makes a louder statement, and I do think that is what I want.

Did I mention I might want to tow with it, The diesel would be the better option? or is the petrol just as proficient?

Cheers

You left the towing requirement a bit late in the thread didn't you? If it we me that would have been on my list of requirements in post #1 ;)

That would swing it more towards the diesel for me then, as the power delivery of the diesel engine and the extra torque produced will help when towing.

Of course it depends on what you're towing, how often, and how far. As the petrol would still be perfectly sufficient, it's just that the diesel is more suited.

I havent got anything to tow at the moment and it will only be occasionally.

1) towing Motor bike to track for track days, and dare I say it,

2) towing a caravan (potentially).

:-S

Edited by MarkyB77

The petrol VRS has a massive amount of torque as well (for a petrol anyway) so should be fine towing. I suspect the hit on fuel would be a lot worse on the petrol compared to the diesel hence the diesel probably does win it for towing. However, both cars will be able to tow what you want hence again there really is not a bad option.

Wouldn't have thought the difference between the two fuel types would be so small myself. But then I've never used a Skoda to tow anything!

I think towing, the petrol would be about 25mpg and diesel 30mpg... maybe?

So the petrol only uses 16% more fuel to tow and the diesel 25%?

(Assuming 30 and 40 mpg in everyday driving)

That doesn't seem right.

Just come back from a weekend in Cornwall. Brimmed the tank before i left on my petrol vrs, and my wifes 1.2 105bhp fabia.

Travelled down there from south wales, 70 all the way down, i averaged 42mpg (according to trip computer), a few localish days out down there, and then returned again at 70 pretty much all the way back.

A total of 414 miles on trip, 20 miles left according to trip computer.

Average of 38.3 showing on trip computer for whole trip

Just filled back up, £71.50 of standard shell fuel, exactly 53.00 litres

Driven nicely, its not a bad return, especially as the car was loaded with 2 passengers but luggage for 4

My wifes did the same milage, dunno what her trip comp is showing other than she had 30 miles left in tank, but that took 42 litres to fill back up, at a cost of £55

A total of 414 miles on trip, 20 miles left according to trip computer.

Average of 38.3 showing on trip computer for whole trip

Just filled back up, £71.50 of standard shell fuel, exactly 53.00 litres

Driven nicely, its not a bad return, especially as the car was loaded with 2 passengers but luggage for 4

My wifes did the same milage, dunno what her trip comp is showing other than she had 30 miles left in tank, but that took 42 litres to fill back up, at a cost of £55

Working that out it's a real return of 35.5mpg for your vRS and 44.8 for the wifes Fabia.

Not bad returns :thumbup:

• 8 months later...