Remapping choices / implications

Frenchtone

Being a simple soul(Lancastrian!!) and having read all the posts re remapping etc I would seek a definitive(as far as possible) view of a Shark remap(or similar) or a simple plug in unit, their benefits / negatives etc

Implications re brake upgrade and if so part nos etc - will the calipers need upgrade or will the existing fit the bill?!

Currently the car is a bog std 2.0l 110 SE with 280mm front discs etc - looking to achieve 140? or thereabout!

Sorry for the questions, my life is somewhat chaotic presently and have little time to devote to this - my mum is here in France, she has a broken thigh bone, my wife is also in the later stages of dementia so help guidance would be great!

salut a la finistere

bonne dimanche

tony

Being a simple soul(Lancastrian!!) and having read all the posts re remapping etc I would seek a definitive... guidance would be great!

salut a la finistere

bonne dimanche

tony

I have had five vehicles remapped and now own a Yeti. In my experience, under-bonnet modules - even the DIP-switch selectable flavour - are a compromise. Having an ECU re-mapped by a *good* company, and I get a sense that Shark is one of them, is a different kettle of fish. This is because the map applied is a generic one, designed around an example of the car on a rolling road, then tweaked to give your vehicle the best of the desired characteristics. Under-bonnet modules are to a much greater extent a one-size-fits-all compromise. You takes your money...

Being a simple soul(Lancastrian!!) and having read all the posts re remapping etc I would seek a definitive(as far as possible) view of a Shark remap(or similar) or a simple plug in unit, their benefits / negatives etc

Implications re brake upgrade and if so part nos etc - will the calipers need upgrade or will the existing fit the bill?!

Currently the car is a bog std 2.0l 110 SE with 280mm front discs etc - looking to achieve 140? or thereabout!

Sorry for the questions, my life is somewhat chaotic presently and have little time to devote to this - my mum is here in France, she has a broken thigh bone, my wife is also in the later stages of dementia so help guidance would be great!

salut a la finistere

bonne dimanche

tony

Not sure if you have seen this thread I posted whilst Elsie the Helipad was being remapped.

Bahnstormer has upgraded his brakes to 312's from 288 or whatever is fitted to the CR140. he needed new discs and carriers, but not the callipers as they are the same.

I will do so in due course as well.

Really depends how you drive your car emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I did mine for economy, so won't be going any faster than if I had been in a standard CR140, so the brakes aren't a priority.

As you can see from my signature, of the 3 that use the same website for fuel consumption, my figures are better than Barnstormer's and 900k's for the 'same' vehicle.

Mike

PS there is now no drop off in power when going over 3000rpm, so you can drive it like a petrol, using the revs if you want to. I also have much more lower down as well. Love it. Great job Ben @ Shark Performance.

Mike

I'm very interested in these modifications to the map but the only thing that puts me off is the opening of the ecu. The last car I owned, a Ford Focus RS, you could modify the map through a hand held unit I.e super chips bluefin and revert back/ disable the car when required.

I'm very interested in these modifications to the map but the only thing that puts me off is the opening of the ecu. The last car I owned, a Ford Focus RS, you could modify the map through a hand held unit I.e super chips bluefin and revert back/ disable the car when required.

You can't to the modern VAG ones as they are locked..

see here

Mike

From another simple Lncastrian.

I'm also put off by opening up the ECU and more so by cutting open the DPF and removing the internals.

Following a query by another member about plug in modules from a German company called Racechips I looked into it and since the module only cost €140 and I had just sold my bike I decided to have a go.

Improved economy was my goal.

What I can say is that after about 1,000 miles, my cumulative mpg, according to the car's computer has improved from just over 42mpg to 46mpg. I don't think I'm driving much differently, if at all.

I also think there's a bigger push at about 2,500 rpm than before and there is noticeable acceleration in 5th and 6th.

My insurance company has noted the modification with no increase in premium.

My findings are entirely subjective, but they are my findings. Plus when the car goes in for service or warranty, I can return the car to it's original state.

John

Tuning boxes (as the one described above) can only increase fuelling, which means more smoke (which will be trapped in the DPF and can potentially cause DPF problems) and will also alter the trip computer as it can no longer understand how much fuel is being injected.

Bahnstormer has upgraded his brakes to 312's from 288 or whatever is fitted to the CR140. he needed new discs and carriers, but not the callipers as they are the same.

Really depends how you drive your car emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I did mine for economy, so won't be going any faster than if I had been in a standard CR140, so the brakes aren't a priority.

As you can see from my signature, of the 3 that use the same website for fuel consumption, my figures are better than Barnstormer's and 900k's for the 'same' vehicle.

Mike

PS there is now no drop off in power when going over 3000rpm, so you can drive it like a petrol, using the revs if you want to. I also have much more lower down as well. Love it. Great job Ben @ Shark Performance.

Mike

Quite correct on the brake upgrade; I've gone from 288mm to 312mm front discs with parts as reported. Not sure though what an upgrade from a 280mm CR110 setup will need. Easiest way to find out is visit you local dealer and check through the relevant part numbers.

My fuel consumption has not particularly changed for better or worse, but then I am making use of the extra performance available more often than not. Hence why, as I always drive briskly, I wanted the brake upgrade.

One factor of doing a remap of a CR110 is that the engine spec, turbo/injectors etc. is the same as the CR140 (they simply have a different ECU 'map') thus, as Octygone found out, a remapped CR110 can give virtually the same result as a remapped CR140 at around 170-175bhp.

Ben at Shark did a fantastic job on my 110 ....easier to drive, more mpg and so much more fun :-) ...power went.up to 174 bhp and the.power comes in where I wanted it to ....as James at Allams will tell you it is now deceptively quick

Like many I'm too concerned about warranty issues to have my 2011 ECU undergoing open heart surgery so I contacted Revo re possibility of OBD tuning(via the socket), I knew it wasn't possible right now but wanted some idea of timeframe. There is of course no physical bar to doing it but the encryption used on the latter ECU's is far more tricky than was previously the case.

Well, looking at 2 years is their estimate (what they actually said was that my car would be out of warranty before its available)....although I guess there could always be a breakthrough!

Oh well guess 170 horses will have to do for now!

Perhaps I'm living in a fool's parade then if the trip computer is now over-optimistic so I'm going to have to check miles covered against fuel tanked. However I remain convinced that performance is improved.

Until such time as a non invasive map can be installed, I'll stick with a plug in module.

I want to be able to remove the box (evidence - lol) if/when the car goes in for service but I also have an eye on resale value and as I have said earlier, my insurer has not increased my premium.

The fact that the car has been significantly tampered with will reduce the potential market for the car both for a private sale and a p/ex.

Private buyers may well be put off by the surgery and for a dealer this would very much be an oddball car.

Clearly there's the "say nothing" option, but that would not be my way.

These are my views and not intended to be provocative.

A chacun son gout, as I think they may say in Finisterre (can't do the accents on iPad!)

A bientot!

John

Hi Shark, sorry I don't know your name.

What are the possibilities of a remote unit to upgrade the ecu?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

If you mean like our Self Tuning System then I'm afraid there's no option. The only thing we could do for you is work on the ECU for you if you wanted to remove it and send it to us. Sorry if I've taken that too literally!

Ben

After having tried REVO (with four different maps), Jabba (pretty dam good all round tbh) and Superchips (no comment!), there simply is no other choice for me now; its Shark Performance all the way! :thumbup:

If it's ok with everyone I'm gonna throw my two bits in.

Is there any point or even possibility in re-mapping the 1.6 Greenline??

I know it's a smaller engine but the economy should stay rather good because of the start/stop and energy recovery features.

Just wondering if it would be a false economy. Cheers.

Dom.

Not possible yet, although it should be available from us soon :thumbup:

Thankyou.

We haven't got our SM Greenline yet but i am very interested in finding out what you can do.

Dom.

Ok guys

Now considered the options, and have gone down the the Racechip route(have a 2 week window to appraise the box), impressed with the rapid delivery of the unit, now fitted, initial thoughts;-

1 The engine runs much more smoothly than when acquired.

2 Inital impression on the road, much more responsive, picks its feet up quickly!

3 Engine power range is extended, more flexible, overtaking is now less of a challenge etc

4 MFD indicates the engine appears more frugal (more mpg) - this however will be checked this next week(within the 2 week window of unit return) as i need to make a 300mile++ round trip to eastern Brittany with about 500kg up in the trailer, so brim full to brim full measurements can be made to compare with the mfd figure

If the result is NOT encouraging down the Shark route I will go!

Watch this space!

Total cost 144€ - equiv £130

Quite correct on the brake upgrade; I've gone from 288mm to 312mm front discs with parts as reported. Not sure though what an upgrade from a 280mm CR110 setup will need. Easiest way to find out is visit you local dealer and check through the relevant part numbers.

My fuel consumption has not particularly changed for better or worse, but then I am making use of the extra performance available more often than not. Hence why, as I always drive briskly, I wanted the brake upgrade.

One factor of doing a remap of a CR110 is that the engine spec, turbo/injectors etc. is the same as the CR140 (they simply have a different ECU 'map') thus, as Octygone found out, a remapped CR110 can give virtually the same result as a remapped CR140 at around 170-175bhp.

The brake upgrade , have you still got the carriers? if so do you want to sell 'em?(my reason, my trailer is unbraked so a little extra security would in my opinion be good)

The brake upgrade , have you still got the carriers? if so do you want to sell 'em?(my reason, my trailer is unbraked so a little extra security would in my opinion be good)

I'm willing to sell. PM sent.

Tuning boxes (as the one described above) can only increase fuelling, which means more smoke (which will be trapped in the DPF and can potentially cause DPF problems) and will also alter the trip computer as it can no longer understand how much fuel is being injected.

Following Shark_90s comments I decided to calculate the mpg by comparing fuel tanked against the trip mileage. 44.1 mpg over 170 miles against the MFD computer saying 45.6 over 1,000 miles. To me that doesn't suggest the trip computer is way out.

Smoke - if it happens, won't the dpf deal with this since the smoke is the particulates?

John

I'm not sure how 170 miles and 1000 miles are a comparible result? You need to reset the trip and do your manual calculation for the same period.

The DPF will trap the smoke yes, which will make it work harder and as the ECU doesn't have full control over the mixture, it could cause problems with clogging.