Phantom Passenger Seats

Hello,

Missus parked our 170DSG Elegance today for a few hours and when she came back to it the front passenger seat was totally reclined.

This is third or 4 time this has occured...seat moving uncommanded.

Anyone seen this?

Hello,

Missus parked our 170DSG Elegance today for a few hours and when she came back to it the front passenger seat was totally reclined.

This is third or 4 time this has occured...seat moving uncommanded.

Anyone seen this?

Having a similar problem with my car, albeit the front passenger seat does not fully recline. Rather, it seems to recline slightly overnight, and needs to be adjusted every 2/3 days. Took it in to the dealer, who couldn't find a fault. They said they'd need to keep it in for a few days to monitor the seat each day. They also advised that something similar happens with the owner's drivers seat, but because it has the memory function, it could be reset at will. They have logged it as an unresolved problem.

Not seen this issue with mine, but what sometimes happens when I have a passenger is that as they get in and out of the car they catch the electric seat switches. What this means is that the seat moves ever so slightly each time.

Hi

I'm not going mad then! lol

My passenger seat back rest seems to recline by its self!

Though it was my little one playing around with it until this weekend when the car was not used and got in today and the seat was reclined!

It has happened several times.

Phantom seat movements do exist!

lol

Dave

Not seen this issue with mine, but what sometimes happens when I have a passenger is that as they get in and out of the car they catch the electric seat switches. What this means is that the seat moves ever so slightly each time.

My wife often used to sit on the switch and recline the f/p/s backrest as she was getting out. She never seemed to listen when I told her to be more careful up to the point she did it when our 4yr old daughter was in the back seat behind her and started screaming, 'No Mum, don't squash me' She takes more care now :D .

Hi

I'm not going mad then! lol

My passenger seat back rest seems to recline by its self!

Though it was my little one playing around with it until this weekend when the car was not used and got in today and the seat was reclined!

It has happened several times.

Phantom seat movements do exist!

lol

Dave

This definitely happens to my passenger seat. Missus thinks I've been up to no good!

My missus has just insisted that I respond to this thread saying that my Elegance also has a phantom passenger seat... although I believe it is either her, or my car share passengers! Never had it go right back though...

Same here, not right back, just reclines past the point you'd normally adjust it to.

Steve

Could it be its supposed to do it? to make it easier for the next passenger to enter the car.. Since it happens to so many persons it looks like a feature, although i would like to be able to turn it off.

I had this problem and thought it had something to do with my alarm issue (search alarm) , my passenger seat would be fully reclined for no reason , the last time the car was at the dealer (March) they did some kind of software mod and that seems to have (touch wood) cured it and the phantom alarms

So no its not normal and it is a fault but cant tell you exactly what it is

This is weird, I thought I was going mad. My seat (driver) is set quite far back, as low as possible and reclined quite a bit (I am a strange shape) and normally the passenger seat is a little further forward, higher and much less reclined, however, every couple of weeks the passenger seat seems to have morphed into the same position as my driver seat. Luckily with the amount of rear leg room with the Superb this is not a problem.

I am pretty sure the same thing happened with my Mk1 Elegance also.

Happends with mine too. It's not that annoying.

I take it that our cars have a soul and a mind of it's own..

Enjoy your cars. :) Mine is called Sam. B)

Edited by tomcatdk

• 10 months later...

I also have a phantom passenger seat, the better half swears its me or that I've a part time dwarf in the boot. It'll drain the battery if it doesn't stop, so I'm going to have a look at the fuses and pull that one if it doesn't have anything else on it.

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this back up - my 2012 model estate has done this twice in the past 48 hours.

Once when we were parked in a pub car park for no more than an hour and today when I got in it the passenger seat was again 75% reclined.

Most odd!

• 9 months later...

I took mine in to David Ian (Morecambe) and they had a hard look at it. After examining the passenger seat controls in detail they noticed that when the seat is at its highest setting the cable to the control unit is stretched. So they ordered a new unit and installed it with a longer bit of cable. Since then the seat has behaved itself (a few months now). So it looks as if the cause is a poor connection between the seat and the control unit caused by a too-short cable? Fixed under warranty (car about 15 months old.) Another excellent bit of customer service from David Ian, who I highly recommend.

Mine does it, but I know for sure it's my wife sitting on the switch, as I've seen it moving. Normally you would miss this as a driver because you too are getting out, but a couple of times I was already out and turned round to get something out. Then I saw it. Before that I'd got back in the car some time later and thought I too had a ghost.

I think what my dealer did was to reduce the time that the power stays on after locking , solved the seat issue but the alarm still goes off from time to time

Maybe someone with vcds could help