Laquer peeling off rear spoiler

Just washed my vRS today after a while of not bothering. I noticed a large patch of laquer has come off the rear spoiler and an even larger patch has started to lift.

P1000172.jpg

P1000171.jpg

P1000170.jpg

P1000169.jpg

A bit difficult to see with the cloud reflection but the white patches are where it is starting to lift and the dark blue patch where it has come off completely.

I've been to my local Skoda dealer who seem to think that because it isn't part of the bodywork it isn't covered. He even said he'd check to see if it was an original item (the mind boggles). He's taken some pictures and now I have to see what Skoda say.

:'(

Edited by vRS G60

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to be a common problem, quite a few threads on it. I started one thread, i went and got mine carbon wrapped because its cheaper than getting it removed and resprayed.

Seems to be occurring more frequently this. I know I was certainly surprised to see it on my last Fabia. The bodyshop put it down to an insufficiently thick application of lacquer to the spoiler.

I'd certainly be asking questions on a Fabia of that age though.

This is too common now.

Mines doing it and half of the vRS massive seem

to be suffering the same fault. :thumbdown:

Really letting down how my car looks at the moment :(

Mine has just started to go right in the centre, although it's no where as near as bad as I have seen them go.

I'll probably end up getting it resprayed as well as the scrape on my back bumper when I can afford it.

I was thinking, maybe a photo thread of everybodys cacky spoilers

may add a little weight to anybodies argument who is unlucky enough to suffer

this obvious manufacturing defect but lucky enough to have

a new enough Fabia to be able to attempt getting it fixed on warranty.

Flipping disgrace if you ask me, they should fix them all for free.

Just nipped out and took these.

SAM_0477.jpg

SAM_0478.jpg

SAM_0479.jpg

My 04 vRS spoiler is peeling to.Local skoda dealer took photos and sent them to skoda uk,got phone call to say not covered and they just where not interested at all..So will re-spray it myself in the near future..

VW told me the same thing with my Polo - plastic moldings aren't covered, only metal parts. :no:

Am amazed at how bad some of these are though, I always though my Polo was bad, but maybe not.

Mine started last year with a small bubble, this quickly escalated to most of the top surface peeling off(with the help of a jet wash), I reckon when the entire top has peeled it'll actually be less noticeable, and will just look as thought the spoiler is mean't to be matt finish!

I spoke to a body shop last year, and they reckoned £200 to prep and paint it............ as you can guess it didn't get done!

This is my spoiler, bloody awful sight. I was amazed on Saturday I actually won a raffle prize at the Caring With Cars show I went to - £500 towards paint/bodywork repairs :D

DSC_0174.jpg

Not that either :giggle: put it this way - 5.3L V8 and begins with an 'A'. Anyway let's stop spamming the thread :)

Well skoda dealer got back and said they don't want to know,plastics not covered,the body shop told me it happens all the time because the spoilers are made else where to a lower standard and glued on later,and quoted £120 to put it right,why don't we get a petition going?.

£120 is a fair price to get it resprayed. But agree, it's not really good enough.

I'm thinking of going down the sale of goods act route where a product has to be fitfor purpose and last a resonable amount of time, regardless of guarantee. 4 years for paint on a spoiler isn't a reasonable amount of time :thumbup:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979, amended in 1994, says that when you buy goods from a trader they must correspond with the description, be of satisfactory quality - which includes lasting a reasonable length of time - and be fit for the purpose. If the goods aren't of 'satisfactory quality', you're entitled to claim your money back or to claim compensation, which is normally the cost of repairs. This lasts for up to six years after you bought the goods - five years in Scotland. The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out the problem if the goods don't meet these requirements. A manufacturer's one-year guarantee is in addition to these rights - many offer free repair or replacement without quibble. Extended warranties are an extension of this.

I just got a mental image of a Buying Guide for the vRS in a future copy of practical classic.. With a line, and a box pointing to the spoiler "Lacquer peel on roof spoiler was very common, if it's good it's mostly likely already been fixed" lol..

Now I've got a whole list of "attention boxes" in my mind, that'd be listed in a feature like they do ;) lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently involved in minor accident ( other drivers fault!) and had to have new wing and other cosmetic respray on front end. The body shop ( Arnold Clarks ,Kilbirnie Street, Glasgow)noticed the "peeling spoiler" and I asked them how much to fix. They were surprised by state of the spoiler and quoted me a max of £200 to repaint as extra to my insurance work. I didn't go for the offer but when I went back to pick up my repaired car the manager told me he had done the spoiler as well for nothing as it looked so bad!!! How happy was I??? A big thumbs up for customer service eh?