in - gear 1.2 tsi comparison?

Hi all, I have recently ordered a new fabia 1.2 tsi 86 se estate to replace my 58 reg 1.4 tdi 80 estate. and was wondering if anyone had the in gear performance times (50 to 70, 30 - 50 etc) for The tsi 86 and how that compares to the 105 tsi.

I test drove a fabia with this engine so I know the performance is more than enough for my needs but I couldn't find any performance figures for it On the net or on briskie..

As a side note the tdi 80 always gave 60 mpg (more when the wife didn't drive it much) so we are hoping the tsi will deliver the 50mpg it promises.

Thank you in advance for any replies. :-)

I can see if I can measure those intervals in mine if it will help. Both can be done in 3rd gear. I just need to find a flat road to do it.

TSI's can deliver 50mpg (did it today) BUT you need to drive economically. This doesn't have to equal slow. I cruised at the legal limits (where possible) to do it.

THank you. I was hoping they were issued on EVO or auto express or some other car website. I thought the figures would be easy to find but I haven't searched every auto site. I was lazy and googled instead lol. I thought questions like this would have been covered already on this site but I guess I was wrong. THank you for your help Mike.

I think the answer is no in a lot of cases... I bought Diesel Car for the review of the Greenline a few months back and the whole "report" seemed to be written from the brochure... There was certainly no opinions or comments about the way the car drove, sounded, etc. The last time I'll be buying that particular rag (an apt description in this case)... Now in the old days of DC back in the 90s and early 00s it would have given an in depth report, warts and all! Bring back proper reporters! :devil:

I used to subscribe to auto express and whatcar. I loved the detailed comparison tables they used Jo print. I stopped getting them cos I subscribe to mma mags instead. I wish they made viewing figures like these easy. Maybe a dedicated site could be created by a budding business man or woman that contains interesting info like the performance times, torque curves, real world owners fuel economy and the like...

I know What Car? magazine does in-gear timings for its tests so you might be very lucky and find the Fabia has been tested, otherwise you might have better luck with the VW Polo with the same engines - might give you some idea of the difference between the two engines.

Thank you Mike for tomorrows real world figures lol. I'll Have to scroll through whatcar's web site to see what I can find. There was a polo tsi 105 on an autoexpress group test but I couldn't find an 86 hp one.

Right... here they are. Please note that this is not scientifically accurate. To save me messing about in the car with a stopwatch (a good thing because on a wet road with these tyres, you get torque steer in 2nd) I videoed the tests and then timed the video afterwards. I'll post the video later for comparison.

2010 Fabia Elegance 1.2 TSI 105bhp (with spare wheel)

16" wheels, 205/45/16 Bridgestone tyres

Just under half a tank of fuel (Tesco 99)

Standard car. 7500 miles.

Driver only.

Wet road.

20 - 40 2nd gear = 3.0sec

30 - 50 2nd gear = 2.8sec

30 - 50 3rd gear = 4.5sec

40 - 60 3rd gear = 4.9sec

50 - 70 3rd gear = 5.3sec

Hope that helps :)

Blimey that is quick. Now I only need someone with a tsi 86 like the one I've ordered to do something similar and we will have some figures to compare. Thank you very much Mike for your input. :-)

I thought that because of the noticeable horse power difference the top end acceleration (40 - 60 in 3rd for example) would be quite different but because of the similar torque figures I thought the old favourites like 30 to 50 in 4th and 50 to 70 in 5th would be similar for the tsi 86 and 105. Aaarggh if only all the figures were readily available lol.

The top end increments are where it would be noticeably slower, but the low speed ones will not be that much different.

50 to 70 in 5th would see the 105 being quicker because of extra torque against the wind resistance.

Note that my 20-40 in 2nd is slower than 30-50. That's due to turbo lag at 20mph, at 30mph it's already up and spinning. At 30mph in 3rd, you have turbo lag at the start, but from 40mph there isn't. The 40-60 increment is slower because air resistance is already building up.

In the 105 I would change up at 5k rpm, and there is no point whatsoever going beyond 5.5k. After all this testing is done, I have never had to thrash the car to be able to overtake, most A road overtakes are 4th/5th gear, very easy.

Edited by Mike Wrightson

Thank you for that again Mike. You've explained your point very well. The engine seemed fine on my test drive so I'm sure I'll love it. I don't rev the nuts off cars anyway, I enjoy low end torque. My 1.4 tdi 80 was funny cos the turbo was like a switch... Nothing, nothing, nothing, HUGE SURGE lol. I will miss the kick in the back but the tsi 86 was much better below 1900 revs but I wanted the PD kick. So much quieter though so it'll be nicer to live with day to day. :-)

All I knows is my 105 tsi is VERY nippy.

1st is a very very weedy gear I change up asap... the torque of the turbo kicks in 2nd - 5th (presumably doesn't in first to stop wheel spinning when in bad weather etc?).

70mph in the 105 gives you just under 2500rpm and its VERY quiet. Even up big hills in 5th it still pulls up them and you speed up with very little effort, makes overtaking a breeze.

From 0-50 I never went above 2500rpm and i seemed to be doing 50 very very quickly!

I love also when you change from 1st into 2nd and it pushes you back in your seat a bit from the oomph it has!

Edited by adamc260

Yeah, 1st is restricted, probably to make it more controlable and help stop wheelspin. Trust me, in the wet it will still spin the wheels. And in 2nd. Though these Bridgestones aren't helping that :giggle:

Give it a few thousand miles as it loosens up and it gets better and more economical.

Edited by Mike Wrightson